• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Just now, Darienne said:

And I shall never (well, good luck on that one) use the hand mixer on a smallish bowl which I am not holding with the other hand.  And I don't think I want to say anything more about this episode.

Kind of like when you forget to put on the top of the blender?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Kind of like when you forget to put on the top of the blender?

It seems to me that you have a Mother's memory.   Was that my last problem?  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pour hot jamaica (sorrel/hibiscus) tea into a glass pitcher. In this case it was my favorite Mexican traditional blue glass one - very thick and straight sided. It split in two and spewed that gorgeous deep magenta liquid all over the granite counter, white cabinets, and light maple floor. Had to hustle to avoid staining.  The bizarre upside was that the lower half resulted in this beautifully shaped bowl. The edges are perfectly smooth. Bizarre. 

IMG_0542.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again spill* half a bag of frozen peas a few hours before the visitation of an eGullet member.  And then somewhile later drop the carefully steamed peas on the (white) rug in the dining room.

*and step upon.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again spill* half a bag of frozen peas a few hours before the visitation of an eGullet member.  And then somewhile later drop the carefully steamed peas on the (white) rug in the dining room.

*and step upon.

She kindly picked up a couple that were still under the stove.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Still finding more peas...

Well at least by now they should have hardened an d not be nastily squishable ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

...in my uncaffeinated state, drop an entire basket of freshly ground coffee onto the kitchen floor.

This morning's coffee may or may not have dog hair in it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

25 minutes ago, kayb said:

...in my uncaffeinated state, drop an entire basket of freshly ground coffee onto the kitchen floor.

This morning's coffee may or may not have dog hair in it.

I often have a 'hair of the dog' in the morning. Don't worry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

... open the fridge, take out the bag of spinach I bought earlier, remove the spinach from the bag, throw the bag on the counter and the spinach in the trash, go to answer a phone call, come back and think the trash needs taking out, take out trash, return to kitchen and start to prepare the ... the ... the bag?

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

... open the fridge, take out the bag of spinach I bought earlier, remove the spinach from the bag, throw the bag on the counter and the spinach in the trash, go to answer a phone call, come back and think the trash needs taking out, take out trash, return to kitchen and start to prepare the ... the ... the bag?

Perhaps you need some hair of the dog in your coffee.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I claim the right to laugh with you (not at you) and your CRAFT moment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

How much are you willing to bet that you 'will never again'? I speak from experience.

15 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How much are you willing to bet that you 'will never again'? I speak from experience.

Not a cent or as, we call them here, a mao.

I've always thought the title of this topic should have "until next time" appended.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I claim the right to laugh with you (not at you) and your CRAFT moment. 

I've had craft syndrome for years. my latest episode was a frantic 2 days search for my car keys. I finally decided I needed some ice cream to soothe my nerves and there they were, right on top of the ice cream in the freezer. I'm not worried about it being old age dementia though, because I've had it too long for that.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again (I have already told a whopper)  put anything into my freezer that is not properly labelled. 

I was digging around in there today and was delighted to discover two of @Alleguede‘s to-die-for kouign amanns. I whipped one of them out of its wrapper and put it into the CSO to reheat it. I could hardly wait. At the seven minute mark I hauled it out of the oven and on to a plate.

Let me tell you — reheated Yorkshire pudding doesn’t cut the mustard. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never again make soup in my ipot and leave it unattended while it boils over into the base and onto the counter.

Since you can't submerge it or put liquid in the base it is a b*itch to clean!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

59 minutes ago, lindag said:

I will never again make soup in my ipot and leave it unattended while it boils over into the base and onto the counter.

Since you can't submerge it or put liquid in the base it is a b*itch to clean!

Shelby had the great idea of using a small foam paint brush to clean around the top rim.  Works a treat.

I shall never again gloat at the great price I got on a large bottle of peanut oil -- only to notice when I went to use it that the label says "corn oil".

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

On 11/30/2017 at 9:39 AM, Anna N said:

When you live alone in a very tiny space the demarcation between one room and another disappears.

Yes, there are 2 of us here, in this tiny <400 sq. ft. 'house,' along with two cats and a big dog.

I have kitchen/cooking/baking stuff in the kitchen, of course, on the unheated enclosed porch, in the living room, and under my bed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I can't say "I will never again..."

Seems I'm constantly repeating many of the absent-minded, stupid, crazy, lazy, disastrous, etc. things I do! xD

• Haha 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I shall never again tip the scale and tonight's wild rice* onto the kitchen floor.  And while I am at it I shall never again pinch my finger in the food processor.

*the good stuff, not the farm raised dreck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I shall never again take out meat from the freezer without reading the label and assuming they are pork chops.

Defrosted the lot, ready to cook, to find that the bag contains chopped up pork fat to use for my next sausage making attempt (and the bag was labelled):rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2