• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

13 hours ago, lindag said:

I will never again try to operate my instant pot while I am having my third glass of wine...

Called customer support to find out why my ip wouldn't work and the display showed UN.

Turns out whe I'm standing over the pot the top of the letters ON is out of my vision.

DUh.

On the up side, you brightened someone's day in Customer Support. Seize the positive. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Eggs and poop do not come out from the same orifice.

dcarch

But there's still poop on the shells before they're cleaned up.

Edited by lindag (log)

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again make pancakes without remembering to add the flour.  They don't fry up very well.

In my youth when I was in the orphanage the chef -- Theodore was his name -- once prepared pancakes without leavening.  They were hard to chew.  Amazing how food memories come back to one.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yes, it does bring back pancakes memories.  Such as the time I make Finnish baked Pannukakku without the four eggs.  It didn't rise much....:$:$

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Won't be brewing my morning's K-cup coffee  again without first checking to be sure the lid is off the mug!

My cleaning woman put the lid on my mug and put it back under the brewer; I always leave it off so it didn't occur to me to check first.

Coffee all over the counter and onto the floor.  Fortunately it was only a mugful and not a whole pot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

Won't be brewing my morning's K-cup coffee  again without first checking to be sure the lid is off the mug!

My cleaning woman put the lid on my mug and put it back under the brewer; I always leave it off so it didn't occur to me to check first.

Coffee all over the counter and onto the floor.  Fortunately it was only a mugful and not a whole pot.

My husband once made a pot of coffee and forgot to put the pot under the brewer.  It too made a holy mess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow!  But then at our house, DH puts the coffee on each evening and I check.  I can't begin to tell you of the disasters we have had with this process.  Unholy messes indeed!  

One morning the coffee was all over the counter, down the drawers, across the kitchen floor and out into the hall.  I didn't cry...but it did occur to me to do so.  

Now I check faithfully.  ....he means well....:S

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 1/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, dcarch said:

dcarch

But eggs, urine and faeces all come out of the cloaca - to me that's kind of like coming out of the same oriface. Perhaps not at the exact same time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In my youth when I was in the orphanage the chef -- Theodore was his name -- once prepared pancakes without leavening.  They were hard to chew.  Amazing how food memories come back to one.

Some years ago I woke up extra early on my DH's birthday and made him pancakes to take to work for his breakfast. His coworkers were very envious of his birthday pancakes.

Until he bit into them. 

I had forgotten the baking powder.

He had bravely tried to eat them, but only managed to get through one - they were so heavy and dense. We now call them Dense Cakes. I threaten to make them for him every birthday.

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

But eggs, urine and faeces all come out of the cloaca - to me that's kind of like coming out of the same oriface. Perhaps not at the exact same time.

I recall having a heated argument with some friends about which orifice eggs come out of. So we called up a biologist friend who set us straight.  Cloaca - word of the day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beebs said:

Some years ago I woke up extra early on my DH's birthday and made him pancakes to take to work for his breakfast. His coworkers were very envious of his birthday pancakes.

Until he bit into them. 

I had forgotten the baking powder.

He had bravely tried to eat them, but only managed to get through one - they were so heavy and dense. We now call them Dense Cakes. I threaten to make them for him every birthday.

I recall having a heated argument with some friends about which orifice eggs come out of. So we called up a biologist friend who set us straight.  Cloaca - word of the day!

You could get a job at your nearest orphanage, biology teacher and cook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, dcarch said:

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Now you made me want to know some of the finer points of hen anatomy that I had previously ignored!

I can't vouch for the accuracy but this page has a nice illustration and a description that is easy to follow:  http://www.afn.org/~poultry/egghen.htm  (scroll down about halfway to two diagrams under the heading The Hen's Perspective on Laying Eggs).  The gist of it is, the egg is pretty clean as it exits.  When I had some occasional henhouse chores during childhood summers, I had the impression that there was plenty of opportunity for eggs to get soiled once they hit the straw, however.  

• Like 2

I shall never again express smug satisfaction from frying my potatoes without mess or muss...the spill came this afternoon when I attempted to pour the spent oil from the kettle back into the empty bottle.

(Note to self:  maybe try a ladle next time.)

• Sad 1

...spend 20 minutes attempting, unsuccessfully, to Photoshop away a stray dot of black pepper which was ruining my otherwise immaculate picture of a perfect dinner, only to find that it was actually a speck of dust on my computer monitor.

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again express smug satisfaction from frying my potatoes without mess or muss...the spill came this afternoon when I attempted to pour the spent oil from the kettle back into the empty bottle.

(Note to self:  maybe try a ladle next time.)

Or a funnel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was using a funnel.  But not a funnel three feet across.

I have one about 2 ft wide that my husband used to use too pour something into the car. I would happily send you just to get rid of it. But then, you said you have a small apartment with little storage space and it's not very decorative. Maybe you could put a potted plant in it when you're not using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again (though, knowing me, I wouldn't be all that surprised) bake two types of bread while at the same time preparing a Georgian (or substitute the current cuisine de jour) dish I have never made before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And I shall never (well, good luck on that one) use the hand mixer on a smallish bowl which I am not holding with the other hand.  And I don't think I want to say anything more about this episode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.