• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

5 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Probably better not to ask what the flour was doing in the bedroom.

...as Anna said.

Actually the cambros of flour are by the bedroom window.  The unopened bags are on the other side of the bed, near the closets.  Not in the closets because there is no room.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

...as Anna said.

Actually the cambros of flour are by the bedroom window.  The unopened bags are on the other side of the bed, near the closets.  Not in the closets because there is no room.

Heh.  I do occasionally put unneeded equipment under the bed, but something prevents me from keeping actual ingredients in there.  Probably the fear I'll forget them and cultivate a vigorous insect/rodent/vagrant population directly underneath where I sleep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Maybe you need one of these.  Currently 15% off when you sign up.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Maybe you need one of these.  Currently 15% off when you sign up.

As I believe I replied in another thread...none of the colors match my living room.

• 3 weeks later...

This was one that my wife picked up years ago. It's a super cheap flimsy design. I've always been a little afraid of it. I wanted perfectly sliced potatoes today so I tried it. It's gone away now. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I shall never again pick up a pan hot from the oven...and then several minutes later, after running my hand under ice water, attempt to pick it up again.

• Sad 8

BT:DT, wrapped my hand with the T-shirt. :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I nearly brained myself lifting a copper pot down from the ceiling hook.  My hands were wet, I had just washed the one that hung next to it and placed it on the dishwasher rack to dry. I had forgotten that this one was much heavier and it slipped and actually turned in my hand so it was the handle that swung around and clipped me over my left ear. 

It didn't break the skin but an hour later I had a "goose egg" on that side of my skull, which looked really odd.

I had iced it but that didn't do much to stop the swelling.  Oddly enough it wasn't painful, except with direct pressure.

I contemplated going to Urgent Care but really didn't feel like exposing myself to the flu-affected population.

The swelling went down after a couple of days though it is still tender. 

• Sad 11

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I will never again leave pistachio cheesecake within reach of toddlers.  He's almost 3, and I know he ate some, but...at some point he must have decided that lovely green color would make a nice fingerpaint. On the walls. Going up the stairs. Right under the handrail- making it very difficult to see at a glance.  

Due to the copious amount smothered upon it, chunks had fallen off the wall, onto the stairs. As I leaned down to gather them, I discovered the cheesecake mural. O.o   

Now, I must try to figure out how to clean dried cheesecake off the wall, without having to repaint. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I shall never again:

1.)  Purchase multiple large jars/bags of herbs and spices when I have said spices in the back of my spice cabinet.  Arrowroot and savory come to mind.

2.)  Shake my mai tai without adding the lime juice.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, lesliec said:

Shaking your mai tai without adding the top of the shaker would be worse.

Have a look upthread...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146534-i-will-never-again-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=2131148

• Haha 3

On 7/29/2017 at 10:11 PM, andiesenji said:

That's true.  The U.S. is the only country where eggs are washed, which removes the protective coating and causes them to "age" and the whites shrink more rapidly.  

As I understand it, the flip side is that if you have the non-washed room temperature eggs, you should really wash them thoroughly before use.

6 hours ago, IndyRob said:

As I understand it, the flip side is that if you have the non-washed room temperature eggs, you should really wash them thoroughly before use.

Or pasteurize them.  I have an electric automatic pasteurizer that I originally got for pasteurizing raw milk.  Now I use it for the eggs my friend brings me from his flock of "exotic" chickens.

That way I don't have to worry about using them raw.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I shall never again be in the least surprised when the contents of my hydrator liquefy and decompose.  Necessitating much bleach and rum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will never again cook broccoli and place the leftovers in the fridge and forget about them.

When I found them I threw them into the the garbage trolley in the garage.

A few days later when my cleaning woman came she announced when aha entered, “Is there a dead animal in here?)

She could smell the broccoli clear from the garage, it was so foul!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yup. Few things announce their presence as persistently as decaying brassicas. 

Though I once had the breaker blow on a chest freezer containing 300 lbs of haddock. It was in a separate location - where others were supposed to have been monitoring it - so by the time I discovered this, a few months later, I had haddock soup. That was pretty memorable, too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yup. Few things announce their presence as persistently as decaying brassicas. 

Though I once had the breaker blow on a chest freezer containing 300 lbs of haddock. It was in a separate location - where others were supposed to have been monitoring it - so by the time I discovered this, a few months later, I had haddock soup. That was pretty memorable, too. 

I was a lab tech in a previous life.Testing for various malabsorption problems used to involve 72 hour collections to analyze for fecal fat. Nothing beats the power outage thawing of a freezer full of paint cans full of specimens awaiting testing! "She blowed up real good"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

Yesterday I had lunch at a favorite Mexican restaurant and brought home half of my huge burrito.  Today I decided to have the leftovers for lunch and in a moment of brilliance thought it'd be a good idea to re-heat it in the CSO  in the bottom half of the styrofoam container!

After about five minutes I came to my senses and thought, maybe that's not a good idea.

I tipped the whole thing onto a plate, chipped the styrofoam off of the rack and put the plat back in the oven.

It's still in the oven but I'm hoping it won't taste weird.

Reminds me me of a favorite joke:  What did the cannibal say when he ate the clown?

”This tastes funny!”

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I will never again try to operate my instant pot while I am having my third glass of wine...

Called customer support to find out why my ip wouldn't work and the display showed UN.

Turns out whe I'm standing over the pot the top of the letters ON is out of my vision.

DUh.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11