• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, andiesenji said:

I use sour cream.  Seems to work for me.

I've done this after a burn from an oven rack. Sour cream is the best most effective thing I've found.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

This evening I sustained a serious fall from too much wine.  Not from drinking it, from trying to store a case of it in the closet.  For a while I had a squash ball sized lump on the back my head where it impacted the hard floor.  Thankfully the swelling has reduced a bit.  And one of the lamps I pulled down didn't even break.

Once I figure out exactly what I did wrong I will never again do that.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This evening I sustained a serious fall from too much wine.  Not from drinking it, from trying to store a case of it in the closet.  For a while I had a squash ball sized lump on the back my head where it impacted the hard floor.  Thankfully the swelling has reduced a bit.  And one of the lamps I pulled down didn't even break.

Once I figure out exactly what I did wrong I will never again do that.

So sorry you were injured. I was really concerned when the first description of a squash ball (not familiar) came up in what I carelessly read as CM so the translation came out as 15" diameter. I was like, "That's not a lump. That's elephantiasis!" Sorry. I quickly found it was really MM and converts to an inch and a half that I'd have described as a ping pong  or golf ball. Still very serious.

We're too old for such adventures these days, and I hope you can figure out a way to avoid a repeat. You live alone like I do and that puts a whole new scary meaning on getting seriously injured at home. It's been decades since I've lived alone. I am very careful these days in the bathtub and coming up and down the stairs.

I used to get thrown from a horse and dust myself off and keep going. Those days are over for me.

I'm hoping you're going to be okay and didn't wrench your neck or something in addition to the head trauma. Take care.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

... put whole, but crushed, spices in a cheesecloth bag to flavour my soup then attempt to blend it with the stick blender without removing the said bag.

The cheesecloth wrapped around the blades of the blender which jammed, but not before getting red hot. I discovered this when I tried to disentangle the remains of the bag from the blades. Burnt finger blues! The blender is broken, too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

... put whole, but crushed, spices in a cheesecloth bag to flavour my soup then attempt to blend it with the stick blender without removing the said bag.

The cheesecloth wrapped around the blades of the blender which jammed, but not before getting red hot. I discovered this when I tried to disentangle the remains of the bag from the blades. Burnt finger blues! The blender is broken, too.

That really sucks and sounds like something that would happen to me. I hope your fingers aren't burned to badly, and I'm sorry for the demise of your blender.

I had the clumsy dropsies day before yesterday. Everything I touched seemed to turn into a mild disaster. I didn't wind up actually breaking anything, but had a lot of unnecessary additional cleanup during dinner prep. "Way to go, Grace!" I thought the third time I messed up. Probably said it out loud (OK, I did). Living alone without even a cat to talk to will do that to a person.

Oh, and today, I managed to ruin a stainless teaspoon that had slipped into the garbage disposal. The noise scared the bejesus out me! I know better then leaving short silverware in that sink with the disposal. Thank goodness the disposal itself is still okay. 

Go away, evil kitchen spirits!

• Sad 3

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That really sucks and sounds like something that would happen to me. I hope your fingers aren't burned to badly, and I'm sorry for the demise of your blender.

"I've got blisters on my fingers!" to quote Ringo.

Actually, they aren't badly burned and the blender was a cheap one, so I'm not too upset. It gives me the excuse to buy the Bamix blender I've wanted for a long time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Oh, and today, I managed to ruin a stainless teaspoon that had slipped into the garbage disposal.

I bought a regular sink strainer/stopper at a dollar store and I put that in the garbage disposer when not plugging up that side of the sink. No more flatware slipping into the disposer, but water still drains out of the sink.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 9/1/2017 at 2:47 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Oh, and today, I managed to ruin a stainless teaspoon that had slipped into the garbage disposal.

Oh how I envy you the opportunity to ruin a spoon in your garbage disposal. Because of the primitive plumbing in the old house that I live in, I can't have a garbage disposal. I probably miss that more then most of the other conveniences I had in the US.

About three weeks ago, my electric pressure cooker blew up. I had meat hanging in the wire basket adjacent to the pressure cooker, broth dripping from the ceiling, and splattered on everything within about 12 feet. Fortunately, I was about 13 feet from it. As I sat there trying to decide whether to laugh or cry, I swore I would never buy another pressure cooker. I always was kind of afraid of them. After thinking, for about 5 days, of the things that I could no longer cook in a pressure cooker (meat in Costa Rica can be very tough), I promptly went to the store and bought another. Some of us are just too hard headed to learn, but I love my instant pot, even if it is just an imitation, but my housemate goes into duck and cover mode every time he sees me using it.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Oh how I envy you the opportunity to ruin a spoon in your garbage disposal. Because of the primitive plumbing in the old house that I live in, I can't have a garbage disposal. I probably miss that more then most of the other conveniences I had in the US.

I agree with you there.  I remember telling someone that I'd almost choose my disposer over my d/w if I had to choose....but I don't want to choose.

When I didn't have a disposer how I hated bagging up that wet icky stuff.

And I don't like putting anything stinky into my kitchen trash, so I take it out to the big garbage trolley.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, lindag said:

When I didn't have a disposer how I hated bagging up that wet icky stuff.

I did have a garbage disposal here, of sorts. For a while I lived at the beach, and we had an estuary right off our back deck. I could take it out and throw it to the fish. It was kind of a shock coming back and having to bag up that "wet icky stuff" again. But one thing I will never do again is live in the hot, humid, sticky climate of a beach town in Costa Rica. Cooking there was a nightmare. All you could think of was putting something on the table that wouldn't heat the kitchen up to the ambient temperature of an oven.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)

• 4 weeks later...

...Throw something out from the fridge without first looking to be SURE what it is.

I was cleaning out the fridge today. Picked up a carryout box I knew (or thought I knew) was leftover Thai fried rice from when we had takeout the other night. Tossed it.

Then when I was cooking dinner, I went to the fridge for the smoked turkey I had picked up Monday, from the restaurant two hours from here that smokes the best turkey I ever ate in my life....

Yep. 

I contemplated going out to the trash and dumpster diving for the most recent bag, since it would have been at the top. Decided against it. Cursed, at length and creatively.

I am cooking the fried potato and cheese pancake from Six Seasons. Not to be outdone, I shall poach an egg to go on top of it, and warm up a couple of slices of bacon. Nyah.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

21 minutes ago, kayb said:

...Throw something out from the fridge without first looking to be SURE what it is.

I was cleaning out the fridge today. Picked up a carryout box I knew (or thought I knew) was leftover Thai fried rice from when we had takeout the other night. Tossed it.

Then when I was cooking dinner, I went to the fridge for the smoked turkey I had picked up Monday, from the restaurant two hours from here that smokes the best turkey I ever ate in my life....

Yep. 

I contemplated going out to the trash and dumpster diving for the most recent bag, since it would have been at the top. Decided against it. Cursed, at length and creatively.

I am cooking the fried potato and cheese pancake from Six Seasons. Not to be outdone, I shall poach an egg to go on top of it, and warm up a couple of slices of bacon. Nyah.

Yeah, I've done something similar.  And I hate grubbing around in my big ol' trash can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Yeah, I've done something similar.  And I hate grubbing around in my big ol' trash can.

We have those big wheeled carts you take down to the curb. But it was hot today, and it had been out there all day. I just couldn't do it.

I'm still cursing when I think about it.

Decided to just eat the pancakes, sans egg and bacon. I have leftovers. Will add the egg and bacon tomorrow.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Yep. 

Slow down:ph34r:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again drop a ripped bag of organic flour on the bedroom floor.  An hour after Roomba finished cleaning.

Where is the "Oh my god" button?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Probably better not to ask what the flour was doing in the bedroom.

I will not speak for Jo.  She is more than capable of speaking for herself. But I can offer you this. When you live alone in a very tiny space the demarcation between one room and another disappears.  If the only place the flour will fit is under the bed then that’s where it goes!  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I will not speak for Jo.  She is more than capable of speaking for herself. But I can offer you this. When you live alone in a very tiny space the demarcation between one room and another disappears.  If the only place the flour will fit is under the bed then that’s where it goes!  

I could add to Anna N's post.  If you live in a very old century farmhouse, there are never enough cupboards, even if you build them into every room.  And if you began your passion for cooking only after you actually even made a 'suitable' kitchen in said old farmhouse, your kitchen will not be big enough or have enough cupboards to store all the stuff you now need:  ingredients and pots and pans and baking pans of a dozen sizes and bread machines and rice cookers and candy-making utensils and extra plastic containers and who knows what else will spread itself over several rooms in the end.   Not to mention that honking big stand mixer.   If only...if only...

• Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.