• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

That's true.  The U.S. is the only country where eggs are washed, which removes the protective coating and causes them to "age" and the whites shrink more rapidly.  

Indeed, I've never seen eggs refrigerated. And I live in the tropics.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, andiesenji said:

That's true.  The U.S. is the only country where eggs are washed, which removes the protective coating and causes them to "age" and the whites shrink more rapidly.  

Perhaps NOT the only one!  Our eggs are washed also. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, lindag said:

I think I'd rather have my eggs go stale more quickly than to have poop on the shells.

For the freshest eggs possible I can deal with a little poop. xD

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again rub my eyes after cutting up a hot pepper.  Actually, it wasn't even very hot as it was a poblano but my left eye is not very happy right now.

We don't think of Poblanos as hot peppers and usually they are not...but once, several years ago I spent almost 24 hours in agony after cutting some Poblanos.  I tried everything...nothing worked.  Never before or since.  So evidently, they can be very hot and alas!  Elsie, yours were.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 hours ago, Darienne said:

We don't think of Poblanos as hot peppers and usually they are not...but once, several years ago I spent almost 24 hours in agony after cutting some Poblanos.  I tried everything...nothing worked.  Never before or since.  So evidently, they can be very hot and alas!  Elsie, yours were.

I also never think of poblanos as being hot, but they have inevitably been the hottest of the peppers I've picked up for stuffing or for addition to grilled peppers relishes.  Go figure.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/28/2017 at 1:10 PM, Porthos said:

Buy just any old brand of corn tortillas for my Chicken Enchilada Casserole (think lasagna construction with tortillas instead of pasta). I picked up a brand that I don't normally buy at a different store than my go-to grocery store. These were significantly thinner and couldn't hold up to serving. I ended up serving bowls of falling-apart almost mush.

When Life hands you enchilada mush, call it Mexican Goulash and serve it proudly.xD

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

I also never think of poblanos as being hot, but they have inevitably been the hottest of the peppers I've picked up for stuffing or for addition to grilled peppers relishes.  Go figure.

I had never worked a lot with hot peppers until I decided to try my hand at mole' sauce. The peppers it called for -- ancho and I forget what all else, weren't really all that hot, allegedly. My hands, afterward, said otherwise. And I've NEVER had my eyes itch like they itched when I couldn't rub them.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/28/2017 at 1:10 PM, Porthos said:

Buy just any old brand of corn tortillas ... I picked up a brand that ... were significantly thinner and couldn't hold up to serving. 

Those thin, dry tortillas are perfect for frying and making tortilla chips - if you have leftover tortillas or ever want fresh tortilla chips.

I think they are designed that way and made differently. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 4:45 PM, haresfur said:

Grocery stores here only recently started refrigerating eggs rather than just putting them out on the shelf. I heard that unwashed eggs have a bit of a film that helps keep them fresh, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, that coating is called the bloom.

Here's a brief explanation: https://www.incredibleegg.org/eggcyclopedia/b/bloom/

• Like 1

I never thought I'd be here again so soon.  I am preparing the dough this afternoon for CI's No-Knead Brioche Buns and having mixed the dough, I left it to autolyze.  After the requisite time, I went back in the kitchen to do the first of four stretch and folds.  That is when I saw the melted butter (1 cup)  that I had forgotten to mix with the egg mixture that got mixed into the flour mixture.  Hmm......now what, I wondered.  I figured what the heck, poured the butter into the bowl, mixed it in as best as i could, plopped the dough on the counter and I kneaded it until the butter looked to be incorporated and the dough no longer had lumps in it.  We will carry on with our stretch and folds and see what happens.

The moral of the story if that I will never again assume I have used all the ingredients in a recipe without checking to make sure that is indeed the case.  

• Like 8

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I never thought I'd be here again so soon.  I am preparing the dough this afternoon for CI's No-Knead Brioche Buns and having mixed the dough, I left it to autolyze.  After the requisite time, I went back in the kitchen to do the first of four stretch and folds.  That is when I saw the melted butter (1 cup)  that I had forgotten to mix with the egg mixture that got mixed into the flour mixture.  Hmm......now what, I wondered.  I figured what the heck, poured the butter into the bowl, mixed it in as best as i could, plopped the dough on the counter and I kneaded it until the butter looked to be incorporated and the dough no longer had lumps in it.  We will carry on with our stretch and folds and see what happens.

The moral of the story if that I will never again assume I have used all the ingredients in a recipe without checking to make sure that is indeed the case.  

My guess is it will be OK.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, LivingMCM said:

I will never again accidentally leave a carton of milk out on the counter overnight. :(

Did it taste okay?  If sour, it can be used in baking, biscuits or scones or quick breads like banana bread or in pancakes or waffles.

A couple of months back I left a half gallon of half and half out overnight.  It was fine. I stuck it in the fridge and it remained sweet until I turned it into yogurt a few days later.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 8/3/2017 at 10:03 AM, andiesenji said:

Did it taste okay?  If sour, it can be used in baking, biscuits or scones or quick breads like banana bread or in pancakes or waffles.

A couple of months back I left a half gallon of half and half out overnight.  It was fine. I stuck it in the fridge and it remained sweet until I turned it into yogurt a few days later.

At the time, I was overly afraid of spoilage, so I just dumped it without thinking to try tasting it.

• 3 weeks later...

I will never again slice, chop or otherwise handle New Mexican Hatch chilies ungloved.

The very saddest part of my tale of woe is that I am almost sure there is a similar testimony upthread from years ago by @Shelby. She warned us all that these things sneak up on you. They don't seem that hot at first, but my God, the build up to absolute fiery misery is unbelievable!

I chopped three of my Hatch for a veg curry and I seemed to be fine for a few minutes. After the capsaicin penetrated the skin of the fingertips of my left hand, though, I was in a lot of pain. This transcended the "tingling" I experienced last night, when I only chopped up one of these peppers, exponentially. This lasted for hours and I still feel it, but it has diminished back to a tingle now. I even tried honey since Rick Bayless said it works. It doesn't. I kept looking at my fingertips anticipating blisters, imagining them in my mind. Owie!!!!

Oh, I swear, NEVER AGAIN! Pain is a most insistent teacher. I will retain this lesson.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I will never again slice, chop or otherwise handle New Mexican Hatch chilies ungloved.

The very saddest part of my tale of woe is that I am almost sure there is a similar testimony upthread from years ago by @Shelby. She warned us all that these things sneak up on you. They don't seem that hot at first, but my God, the build up to absolute fiery misery is unbelievable!

I chopped three of my Hatch for a veg curry and I seemed to be fine for a few minutes. After the capsaicin penetrated the skin of the fingertips of my left hand, though, I was in a lot of pain. This transcended the "tingling" I experienced last night, when I only chopped up one of these peppers, exponentially. This lasted for hours and I still feel it, but it has diminished back to a tingle now. I even tried honey since Rick Bayless said it works. It doesn't. I kept looking at my fingertips anticipating blisters, imagining them in my mind. Owie!!!!

Oh, I swear, NEVER AGAIN! Pain is a most insistent teacher. I will retain this lesson.

@Thanks for the Crepes  try rubbing a cooking oil such as canola over your hands, then washing them with soap and water.  That should help.

• Like 1

My GF's former foster daughter learned the same lesson last week with ghost peppers. Not a happy experience. 

• Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

My GF's former foster daughter learned the same lesson last week with ghost peppers. Not a happy experience. 

But better than me who still hasn't learned the lesson.xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I use sour cream.  Seems to work for me.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

14 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

God love you. I won't handle much of anything stronger than a Cubanelle without gloves, after having made mole sauce several years ago with ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers (well, the chipotles were in adobo and all I did was chop them up, so they were harmless). Thought I'd die.

And your eyes NEVER itch so much as when you can't rub them.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

And your eyes NEVER itch so much as when you can't rub them.

I've definitely been temporarily blinded a few times in the past! xD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!