• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

...take the lid off of a pot of oil, that has gone beyond its smoke point, in the house. The smoke detector had to be disabled, all the windows had to be opened, etc... Should there be a next time, I will take the pot outside before removing the lid!

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:34 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

"So... nuke potato, finish in oven good. Bake potato, try to finish in nuker very, very bad. :S"

Do I ever know what that's like!  Baked potato stuck on every inch of the microwave...took forever to clean it up.

• Like 1

Steam is your friend. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today I made a new batch of nocino.

That was not a serious error.

Pouring the vodka onto the quartered walnuts in my big Kilner jar without checking the tap was turned off ... was.

• Like 4

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

1 hour ago, lesliec said:

Today I made a new batch of nocino.

That was not a serious error.

Pouring the vodka onto the quartered walnuts in my big Kilner jar without checking the tap was turned off ... was.

I once watched a neighbor change the oil in her car without checking the drain valve was turned off.  I imagine this was the culinary equivalent.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

... spend half the afternoon cursing myself for having forgotten this morning to buy the lettuce I deemed compulsory for tonight's dinner and really not wanting to go back out again. Eventually, I surrendered and got almost half way to my nearest lettuce purveyor, when I suddenly remembered that I had earlier changed my mind about dinner and had bought the necessary for a completely different preparation and that lettuce was the last thing I needed. My planned meal would welcome lettuce like you would welcome it in your morning cornflakes.

This memory lapse is clearly down to the festive season indulgence and nothing to do with me getting old, oh no! I am as as fit as a one of those musical instruments that people tuck under their chins and scrape with animal gut - what do you call them again? It's slipped my mind.

(Sitting back waiting for someone to come out and confess to never eating cornflakes without lettuce.)

Favourite Shakespeare quote #143

Isn’t it strange that strings made of sheep’s guts are capable of drawing men’s souls out of their bodies?

- Much Ado About Nothing, act 2, scene 3)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have purchased ingredients for two different meals because of forgetting which one I had decided to make by the time I got to the market...in part because of that dread of the return visit...

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The other day having roasted turkey bones and wanting a bit of stock I added water to the roasting pan and tucked back into oven. The smell was lovely, but when I went to check it the cheapo aluminum disposable pan flexed and the oven got a bath of turkey stock. Will I ever learn that those cheap pans do not do well with liquid???

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

The other day having roasted turkey bones and wanting a bit of stock I added water to the roasting pan and tucked back into oven. The smell was lovely, but when I went to check it the cheapo aluminum disposable pan flexed and the oven got a bath of turkey stock. Will I ever learn that those cheap pans do not do well with liquid???

Cookie sheet for a base. I learned that the hard way 40-some years ago.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I shall never again dust sugar and Modernist Cuisine chili dry rub barbeque mixture on rice pudding, even if the dry rub is in a jar marked cinnamon.

• Like 8

LOL I had a similar experience once, making spice cookies. It turned out someone had repurposed a spice jar labeled "Ginger" and it now held garlic powder. I didn't notice until they were in the oven, and the smell started to circulate through the house. 

Mind you, if you're going to make that particular mistake, a punk house filled with heavily intoxicated skaters is the place to do it. They inhaled the entire batch, and demanded a second round. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Never again will I set my mai tai down on the edge of the coaster and spill the contents on the keyboard while trying to follow Fat Guy's argument...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/105383-parmigiano-style-cheeses-outside-of-italy/?do=findComment&comment=1463949

I nearly had a dinner disaster tonight. I was preparing a dish calling for, among many other things, a couple of teaspoons of potato starch. My hand went out and grabbed the nearest jar of white powder and I threw the first teaspoonful in over the other ingredients.  I don't know what made me question myself, but I glanced at the jar label and realised it was baking soda which, in my opinion, is not a suitable substitute for potato starch, which lives in a completely different sized jar on a different shelf and has done for over a decade.

Fortunately, I was able to scrape it out before it got too integrated with the rest of the dish, then continue with my recipe.

Could have been worse. I could have picked up the cocaine stash jar! :B All these white powders -  hard to keep track!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...take one dish out of the toaster oven then put in a cake without remembering to change the temperature setting.  40ºC too high and my cake is cinders.

When I smelled burning, I thought it was my neighbour again, so I ignored it. She burns things regularly. Some kind of culinary arsonist, I think. But no.

Damn! It was to be a gift for a friend tomorrow morning. I'll have to think of a quick substitute.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

... have a glass of wine or a cocktail until after all the knifework is completed.

I learned this the hard way.

ETA:  In a similar vein:

- Squeezing a lemon with your hands while simultaneously remembering that you just cut yourself

- Working with any chilli product at all when you need to wear contact lenses that evening.

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

... have a glass of wine or a cocktail until after all the knifework is completed.

I learned this the hard way.

ETA:  In a similar vein:

- Squeezing a lemon with your hands while simultaneously remembering that you just cut yourself

- Working with any chilli product at all when you need to wear contact lenses that evening.

'Last time I was messing with lemons I didn't even know I had cut myself until the lemon juice let me know. Owwww.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

While making a dark roux, pick up the business end of my spoon immediately after setting down.

Don't ask me why.

Nice blister. 

Ouch. Guessing it was a metal spoon?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, chileheadmike said:

Nylon, but I'd just set it down in the cutting board and went to move it so I could cut veggies. 

Sympathy.  But imagine if it had been metal.   Just saying.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again heed the urge to the bathroom* when the pressure cooker with my thirty second green beans is on high.

*Or as they say in Latin:  "Natura Vocabat" -- sorry if too much information.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

I will never again haphazardly grab a slicing disk for the food processor when pulling it out of the dishwasher. What I will do is go back to my "top rack only for food processor parts" mantra.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I will never again start reducing a chicken stock that took hours to make, then get engrossed in some nonsense on the internet . The stock reduced OK - to a brown sludge on the bottom of the pan.

I will never again, having reduced stock to a brown sludge on the bottom of a pan, curse at it, turn off the heat and stomp out the house for an hour or two to do some shopping, only to return to find that I didn't turn off the heat at all , but turned the knob in the wrong direction and only reduced it to minimum. Cooking brown sludge for two hours on minimum doesn't help.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4