• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Yes, sorry, Darienne, that's exactly what happened.   Of course the can was on an upper shelf so I've been cleaning sticky goopy gunk off that slimed the whole way down.

I just got done scrubbing.  :wacko:

I can't remember if I ever posted this, but I once had a can of cream of coconut explode in a kitchen cupboard.  It exploded with such force that it blew the cupboard door open, and spattered cream of coconut on the floor and walls and ceiling.

Never could get it all cleaned up, but the kitchen's been repainted and a new floor put down.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I will never again leave carbonated liquid in the outside refrigerator for the winter. It was June before the caramel-colored explosion thawed enough to clean.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can't remember if I ever posted this, but I once had a can of cream of coconut explode in a kitchen cupboard.  It exploded with such force that it blew the cupboard door open, and spattered cream of coconut on the floor and walls and ceiling.

Never could get it all cleaned up, but the kitchen's been repainted and a new floor put down.

I will never again put a bottle of ginger syrup that I forgot in the sunshine, into the stock cupboard.  It blew up with such force that it shattered two adjacent bottles, drove glass shrapnel into the cupboard door, and covered absolutely everything with a sticky-sweet fermented ginger mess.  I still find splatters of it sometimes when I clean.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I can testify to maple syrup needing to be refrigerated too. This happened to me when we lived in Vermont in the 70's. I could have cried. It was a gallon can about half full. Can you imagine what that would cost now?

Now it's harder to find and a hoarded luxury that always lives in the fridge even in the small bottles I can afford to buy now.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 1 month later...

I have a good friend who always gifts me with kitchen-related items and doo-dads. This past Christmas she gave me one of those huge silicone "lily pads" that you place on top of pots to prevent boil-overs. It works really well.

However, I will never again use my bare fingers to lift the silicone "lily pad" off the top of the pot. Silicone items can be used at high temperatures and won't melt but since they're sitting on boiling hot water, they're still very hot to the touch. DOH! What was I thinking?

Plus, they seal the top of the pot pretty well so not only was it hot to the touch but as I lifted it off the pot the escaping steam was scalding hot on my fingers, as well.

Lesson learned. :angry:  :sad:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have a good friend who always gifts me with kitchen-related items and doo-dads. This past Christmas she gave me one of those huge silicone "lily pads" that you place on top of pots to prevent boil-overs. It works really well.

However, I will never again use my bare fingers to lift the silicone "lily pad" off the top of the pot. Silicone items can be used at high temperatures and won't melt but since they're sitting on boiling hot water, they're still very hot to the touch. DOH! What was I thinking?

Plus, they seal the top of the pot pretty well so not only was it hot to the touch but as I lifted it off the pot the escaping steam was scalding hot on my fingers, as well.

Lesson learned. :angry:  :sad:

Ya think you learned? Then you are way smarter than me. Love my lily pads but inevitably forget the potential for burns! Considering writing on them with indelible ink "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT".

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sounds like once opened it ought to be refrigerated; as with maple syrup which will get furry at room temp.

I put it in the freezer. Doesn't freeze solid so it will pour after it sits out for a few minutes, but it keeps for a very long time.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 5 months later...

Or you could buy a kevlar glove - that way you can have safe fingers and use a mandoline.

I have the glove in a kitchen drawer. I have a pusher for my mandoline. I also, apparently, have overconfidence and a short memory because I now have a heavily-bandaged finger. I know better, I really do. Except that, apparently, I didn't. :angry:

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Plugged up the disposer yet again​, this time with apple peelings!​  Clearly I am a slow learner or  the disposer is out to get me.

Otoh, I'm quickly becoming a master at dismantling the plumbing!

• Like 1

Yeah. I've done that.

Kevlar glove will make up for inattentiveness.

Mine is in the drawer mostly, like yours

My cut-proof glove (stainless steel mesh - probably more expensive than is practical for most) is IN the jumbo plastic bag with my mandolines. 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I will never, ever decide that because my first taste of Elisir Novasalus reminded me somewhat of Amaro Sibilla, which I last had a couple years ago, that it would make an acceptable substitute for the same in a cocktail so finely-balanced as the Beekeeper's Apprentice. 

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Sadly I probably will do so again.  But tonight rehearsing my blade work halving a chicken following my accustomed mai tai I stabbed myself.  Thankfully I was well accoutered in a quality cut resistant Kevlar glove.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I won't say I'll never do it again, because I know I will although I wish I wouldn't.  While making pesto in the food processor, and at the point where the oil is slowly pouring in from the food chute, remove  the lid to scrape down the sides and check the thickness while the oil continues to slowly pour over whatever I'm holding the lid above.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

• 3 weeks later...

...make a special trip to the store for cilantro and return with parsley.

I thought I was the only one who had done that!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

• 1 month later...

Maybe there should be a topic on "I will never again....but I know I will..."  (And I see that I started this topic years ago.)

A couple of weeks ago I made Mr. Kim's (Kim Shook) wonderful Apple Cake.  It is a winner.  We began to eat half...and I went to freeze the other half for the visitors this weekend.  My first American Thanksgiving celebrated in Canada with South African expats. 

So I looked for it a few days ago.  The cellar freezer.  Nope.  OK.  The kitchen fridge freezer.  Nope.  I wouldn't put it into the dog freezer, would I?  Check it out.  Nope.  There's not enough room left in the garage fridge freezer...I know there isn't.  OK.  Check it out.  Nope.  No cake anywhere to be seen.  Gave up.  Started a new dessert.

Then this morning I went into the covered bin where I keep dates and coconut and cried cranberries and nuts and so on and so forth and there...sitting in it's wrappers was the cake.  None the worse for wear as far as I can see.  But still.  I wish I could say that I will never do this again, but as I keep on getting older I fear that I will.  Next time it might be meat...which would be toast after a week and a half at room temperature. 

Now I feel better.  :blush:

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Make a qty of veggies for family get together (ex: Thanksgiving) based on how much I would eat. Nobody eats vegetables and I am left with huge amt of leftovers, I seem to always make twice the amt I should.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This morning I once again found a piece of bread insided the toaster oven that I intended to have with last night's dinner!

Can't remeber how many times that's happened!

I used to do this all the time.  Usually discovered when the forgotten toast sets off the smoke alarm when I drop in fresh bread the following morning and the abandoned slice is incinerated while the new one gets toasted on only one side.  

Thankful for my new Cuisi steam/toaster oven - I can still forget the toast but at least I can easily see it through the window before I inadvertently turn it into charcoal!

• Like 1