• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Loki, never put much of anything in the garbage disposal. They are a plumber's cash cow.

Or go S-L-O-W-L-Y. I generally take about a minute with the peels from about 5 pounds of potatoes. As long as I take my time I don't have problems.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Loki, never put much of anything in the garbage disposal. They are a plumber's cash cow.

Or go S-L-O-W-L-Y. I generally take about a minute with the peels from about 5 pounds of potatoes. As long as I take my time I don't have problems.

Wouldn't it be easier to toss them in the compost or even the trash?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Put artichoke refuse in the garbage disposal.

Or asparagus. :sad:

That was 20 years ago, and I still think twice about putting anything in there. We ended up replacing the disposal altogether.

Reminds me of a joke:

Guest: Where's the switch for the garbage disposal?

Host: We don't have a garbage disposal.

Guest: Oops!

• Like 2

I accidentally garbage disposal-ed a small shot glass once and toasted the motor. I will never again put shot glasses in the garbage disposal side of the sink. Fortunately it wasn't very difficult to install a new GD ourselves and save on the plumbing bill.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will never not ever no matter what repeat this chemistry lesson I just experienced.

So, you know how some sausage making literature advises you to sterilise your mincer with (diluted) bleach? Do not do this. Boil it. Steam it. Park it in the oven. Use that shit they sell at the home brew store. Do. Not. Bleach. It. No matter what. Take food poisoning and possible death over the combination of bleach and stainless steel. Beaucoup bad shit. Too beaucoup.

Had a real good time cleaning off the shitty residue.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Use a box cutter to open the plastic wrapping that was bundling a 4 pack of Coke 2-liters.

Bad idea.

Since no one else has asked. What happened? Did you get a 2 liter Coke shower? Or, was it more painful?

The kitchen and I got a coke shower. Kids learned some new words. They thought it was pretty funny.

• Like 6

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I will never not ever no matter what repeat this chemistry lesson I just experienced.

So, you know how some sausage making literature advises you to sterilise your mincer with (diluted) bleach? Do not do this. Boil it. Steam it. Park it in the oven. Use that shit they sell at the home brew store. Do. Not. Bleach. It. No matter what. Take food poisoning and possible death over the combination of bleach and stainless steel. Beaucoup bad shit. Too beaucoup.

Really? I use bleach on stainless steel fairly regularly (we have a stainless sink). Never had any problems. Was there some coating on your mincer that caused the issue maybe?

Really? I use bleach on stainless steel fairly regularly (we have a stainless sink). Never had any problems. Was there some coating on your mincer that caused the issue maybe?

Maybe. But there's also boat loads of people online banging on about how you should wash your sink with CLR, vinegar, baking soda, dish washing detergent, the tears of babies and basically anything but chlorine-based bleach. I'm not sure if it's real or some kind of old wives' tale derived from the experience someone had long ago with, say, all the critical bits of an 800W Tefal mincer.

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

While we're at it, permit me to add another gripe. I will never again come across as so accommodating to the fruity dietary preferences of guests. No. I mean, leaving out a particular element that's a second tier element (say, the lettuce in a burger)? That's fine. No problem. I won't make you pick it out. But deciding, a few hours before, that you'd like to come to an event ... when two of the main elements of the dish contain trace amount of an ingredient you must never not ever consume for a somewhat irrational (but heart-string-tugging) reason? Fuck it. I'm not making something extra. I'm not buying something else. Bring your own ketchup, man.

Sorry. I'll stop being a bad person.

• Like 6

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

• 11 months later...

What is this urge in us to confess our stupidity?  It has hit me again.

A couple of days ago I threw a bunch of semi-dried figs into my food processor to make them into a more or less puree.  Of course, they were hard to get out of the processor.  But why did I swipe around the bottom of said processor with my finger?  Right.  The edge of the food processor blade is alarming sharp and now, days later, I am still suffering from that cut finger tip. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, we all have times when the brain goes on holiday without telling us.

I tried Mac'n Cheese again, nah still dislike it, why  did I put in my mouth even? Urgh..   I got handed it at the store at their test kitchen, today lactose free  Mac and cheese and NO. I dont like it, never have and most likely never will.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

What is this urge in us to confess our stupidity?  It has hit me again.

A couple of days ago I threw a bunch of semi-dried figs into my food processor to make them into a more or less puree.  Of course, they were hard to get out of the processor.  But why did I swipe around the bottom of said processor with my finger?  Right.  The edge of the food processor blade is alarming sharp and now, days later, I am still suffering from that cut finger tip. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Last evening I decided to make some orange spice syrup so zested a couple of oranges and then swiped my finger THE WRONG WAY on the microplane.

I'm going back to my proven safe methods of handling citrus peel when I need more than a spoonful. 

Taking the peel off with a vegetable peeler - allowing it to dry for half an hour or so and then whizzing it in a spice grinder - even adding some of the spices when needed.

Works much better for me personally. 

Not serious, but a bit painful.  At least I didn't bleed into the syrup...

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just realized I could contribute. I candied some plums a while back and saved the liquid that remained after they were finished. I always wondered if I could make hard candies from it just by boiling and taking it up to 310f and pulling. Well a few weeks ago I wasn't feeling too well, sort of sick. By I didn't want to go to bed, so I was getting some stuff done around the apartment when I realized now is a good time to boil that syrup, so I did. The final syrup has a lot of glucose in it, so it was very very foamy during thw whole boiling process. Part of the way through (because of the very foamy nature of the syrup) I was stirring it with a wooden spoon to calm the bubbles. I think I stirred too aggressively, as two blobs of hot sugar landed on the top of my right foot. Its hurt pretty bad haha, the sugar was around 270f. I think I may have a high pain tolerance, cause even though it was a huge shock and really hurt, I cleaned it off, continued to monitor the sugar temp, poured it out and pulled the candies. When I tasted some of the candied and say that just tasted like caramelized sugar and no fruit flavor, I tossed the batch went to bed in pain. Walking was difficult for the next few days, but I've seen big improvement. Its kind of funny since the two burn marks are about 1 inch in diameter and look like splatters.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently anovaing three bags of pork baby back ribs, following Douglas Baldwin, as I have done before.  This part is all well and good.  However Baldwin calls for brine.  So I brined the ribs 24 hours in a 70:30 brine.  The pyrex baking dish I used was a little small.  It contained the meat, but the brining liquid came up to the top.  Because I was afraid the liquid might spill in the refrigerator, I covered the dish with plastic wrap and cleverly placed the sealed dish in a plastic grocery bag to catch any drips.

Needless to say the brining dish did spill and the grocery bag had a hole in it.  Lots of sugary pretty pink pig juice in the bottom third of the refrigerator.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

I will never, ever again attempt to roast chestnuts. Some years ago, I had a craving for the roasted chestnuts I had eaten while a student in Munich, where I used to buy chestnuts from roasters set up on wintery streets. The vendor would put six or eight chestnuts in cone-shaped bags that could be eaten on the spot. The chestnuts tasted so good, and they warmed the hands--what could be better?

Years later in DC, I noticed chestnuts at the local grocery on a November day. I happily bought them and had nostalgic thoughts of chestnuts hot from the oven dancing through my head. The next day, a Friday, after reading instructions in "Joy of Cooking," I made them. "Cut a small cross in each chestnut" the book said. So I got out a sharp knife and proceeded to cut a small cross. A very tiny cross.

I placed the chestnuts on a baking tray, shoved them in the oven and proceeded with preparing a pot of soup until I heard an ominous explosion emanating from the oven. After the second explosion, I realized what was happening, so I grabbed the tray of chestnuts, put it on top of the stove, and ran to the other end of the kitchen. The explosions continued. By the time the cease-fire occurred, I had chestnut stalagtites hanging in the oven. Pieces of chestnut stuck to the ceiling and dusted the kitchen counter. The floor was covered with chestnut shards. The leaves of African violets on a nearby window sill clung to tiny chestnut bits like a burr to a dog. I devoted a good part of the weekend to cleaning up the kitchen, but months later, at Easter, I still was finding chestnut bits im the African violets.

Funny, but my appetite for chestnuts diminished quite a bit after that and is now limited to the occasional cone-bag while walking down wintery streets in Munich.

• Like 7

Twice in the last couple months I've clogged my disposer with peelings from butternut squash - then a third time that was a close call (apparently I'm either a slow learner or I'm just testing myself.  I don't know what it is, I've never clogged this disposer before this and I've had it for nearly nine years.

Also, last weekend I was making a recipe for Root Vegetable Gratin (from CI) and cutting potatoes, rutabaga and celery root with my v-blade mandolin; wearing a no-kut glove.  Well don't believe that!  The rutabaga was really hard and took quite a bit of force to slice.  I ran the knuckle on my little finger into the blade and it cut nicely right through the glove.  So much for that theory!  Very bad cut, lots of pain and ferocious bleeding.

What Darienne said. Thanks for the notice that "cut resistant" is not the same as "cut proof".

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Why Shelby?  Inquiring minds want to know.  (or is this something which is self-explanatory and I'm the only one who doesn't get it?)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Acidic food can cause micro holes to develop in the can allowing liquid (probably sticky in this case) to leak out? Just guessing.

My guess too. It happened to me before I learned that canned goods do not last forever.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes, sorry, Darienne, that's exactly what happened.   Of course the can was on an upper shelf so I've been cleaning sticky goopy gunk off that slimed the whole way down.

I just got done scrubbing.  :wacko:

• Like 3