• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I wonder if that would work for garlic?  How solid does the ginger freeze?

The ginger freezes quite solid but I just pop it in the microwave for 1 minute and scrape enough off the top for what I need and then back in the freezer. Doesn't hurt it a bit. It also works great for garlic. With that, I do microwave the garlic for two or three minutes, depending on the amount before I freeze it. The cloves of garlic also freeze well. Just peel them and pop them in a jar. You always have fresh garlic when you need it and no more garlic sprouting away in storage.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I wonder if that would work for garlic?  How solid does the ginger freeze?

The ginger freeze is quite solid but I just pop it in the microwave for 1 minute and scrape enough off the top for what I need and then back in the freezer. Doesn't hurt it a bit. It also works great for garlic. With that, I do microwave the garlic for two or three minutes, depending on the amount before I freeze it. The cloves of garlic also freeze well. Just peel them and pop them in a jar. You always have fresh garlic when you need it and no more garlic sprouting away in storage.