• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

We've had two close calls with kitchen fires over the last month or so.

@Darienne

I had a bread roll catch fire in the toaster oven and things could have gotten out of control really quickly.  I luckily saw the flicker out of the corner of my eye from a different part of the house.  I cannot believe how something so innocuous as toast could be so dangerous.   Really, who stands there and watches toast, well, toast?  I ordered a bunch of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) new style fire spray cans.  Easier and more accessible that traditional fire extinguishers (which I also have in the kitchen).  Can get you out of trouble quicker hopefully.  

I have noticed my induction hobs have built in safety shut-offs, 1) time limit on being turned on (some are 2 hours, others longer, can be a pain if you are doing a long simmer) and 2) can sense if the pot gets hotter over time signifying a dry pot condition and shuts off.  I have seen both of the these safety shut-off scenarios on my old Burton hob personally.  

Good luck and stay safe.

lemniscate

lemniscate

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

We've had two close calls with kitchen fires over the last month or so.

@Darienne

I had a bread roll catch fire in the toaster oven and things could have gotten out of control really quickly.  I luckily saw the flicker out of the corner of my eye from a different part of the house.  I cannot believe how something so innocuous as toast could be so dangerous.   Really, who stands there and watches toast, well toast?  I ordered a bunch of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) new style fire spray cans.  Easier and more accessible that traditional fire extinguishers (which I also have in the kitchen).  Can get you out of trouble quicker hopefully.  

I have noticed my induction hobs have built in safety shut-offs, 1) time limit on being turned on (some are 2 hours, others longer, can be a pain if you are doing a long simmer) and 2) can sense if the pot gets hotter over time signifying a dry pot condition and shuts off.  I have seen both of the these safety shut-off scenarios on my old Burton hob personally.  

Good luck and stay safe.