• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I nearly had a dinner disaster tonight. I was preparing a dish calling for, among many other things, a couple of teaspoons of potato starch. My hand went out and grabbed the nearest jar of white powder and I threw the first teaspoonful in over the other ingredients.  I don't know what made me question myself, but I glanced at the jar label and realised it was baking soda which, in my opinion, is not a suitable substitute for potato starch, which lives in a completely different sized jar on a different shelf and has done for over a decade.

Fortunately, I was able to scrape it out before it got too integrated with the rest of the dish, then continue with my recipe.

Could have been worse. I could have picked up the cocaine stash jar! :B All these white powders -  hard to keep track!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I nearly had a dinner disaster tonight. I was preparing a dish calling for, among many other things, a couple of teaspoons of potato starch. My hand went out and grabbed the nearest jar of white powder and I threw the first teaspoonful in over the other ingredients.  I don't know what made me question myself, but I glanced at the jar label and realised it was baking soda which, in my opinion, is not a suitable substitute for potato starch, which lives in a completely different sized jar on a different shelf and has done for over a decade.

Fortunately, I was able to scrape it out before it got too integrated with the rest of the dish, then continue with my recipe.

Could have been worse. I could have picked up the cocaine stash jar! :B