• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

A new one for me. Making lollipops yesterday with confectionery partner, Barbara, and while she pours, I make sure everything is lined up and in place. Things do slip now and then. I use a couple of thin knives so as not to touch the hot candy nor the hot metal molds.

Well, all of a sudden all heck broke loose and there were more slips than normal. Sticks askew, leakage under the molds, etc.

Somehow, touched my finger to the hot syrup, and then for reasons I cannot fathom, brushed said finger against my upper lip...taking at least one layer of skin with the candy. Oh my, how stupid. How it hurts. How strange it looks. I hope it heals without a scar. ...but then at my advanced age, one more scar won't mar my beauty too much... :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Roast mass quantities of habaneros with the windows closed.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I'm fine but the house smells really interesting.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Make a pear upside down cake in a springform pan. My damn cake pans were too small for the amount of batter. My springform may never be the same; fortunately, I caught the error and stuck a cookie sheet under it before it incinerated the bottom of the oven.

Cookie sheet may never be the same, either.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Make a pear upside down cake in a springform pan. My damn cake pans were too small for the amount of batter. My springform may never be the same; fortunately, I caught the error and stuck a cookie sheet under it before it incinerated the bottom of the oven.

Cookie sheet may never be the same, either.

I got one of the new silicone springform pans with the tempered glass bottom. So far nothing has stuck to it and the sides of a triple layer cheesecake/mousse came out perfect with not even a hint of smearing except at the spot where the "latch" is and that was very easy to fix.

It does not leak either in or out.

I tried it with pecan sticky buns and the result was lovely - However I did use a parchment paper round on the bottom, which peeled off nicely while the buns were still fairly hot.

I have a lot of springform pans, from the very small to the large rectangles and I may retire them all and use just this one.

silicone springform

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a bad decision after having the thought "This is probably stupid...." That didn't involve knives, but mine does.

It took me two or three times to learn that, while about to make a cut with a knife, the thought "This is probably stupid" quite literally means that I will be bleeding within the next three seconds.

I will never again fail to heed this thought, lay the knife down, and rethink the situation.

I baked a pie crust (well, a pie) in a tart pan with a removable bottom without putting anything underneath. The butter melted out of the crust, of course, and leaked onto the bottom of my oven. That was lovely.

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Non-Stick-Removable/dp/B0006BB2NW/ref=sr_1_9?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285551181&sr=8-9

^ like that

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a bad decision after having the thought "This is probably stupid...." That didn't involve knives, but mine does.

It took me two or three times to learn that, while about to make a cut with a knife, the thought "This is probably stupid" quite literally means that I will be bleeding within the next three seconds.

I will never again fail to heed this thought, lay the knife down, and rethink the situation.

Yeah.... I've said that before, and then immediately proceeded to remove yet another chunk of thumb (additional note to self: thumb tucks behind curled fingers when using knife, not off to the side to stop blade from slicing all the way to the cutting board, because it slices all the way anyway!). On the plus side, my husband is now able to differentiate between 5 different tones in a sharp intake of breath, and has halved his response times where appropriate.

Indyrob and Snadra,

My husband's response has been the suggestion that I take a knife skills class. Instead I say that we will make a game of it. Door prize goes to the person who finds part of my fingernail (I cut them off often.) or part of my finger in their food.

I did take the prize from the folks at the E.R. one year during the NFL Playoffs. I was watching the game while I took our very sharp chef's knife and used it to slice open a package of cheese. (Not a smart thing to do.) I put the knife in, but had the blade facing the wrong way. I did not notice this, because the game was very exciting. When I pressed the knife to cut open the package, it, of course, went in the opposite direction. I, who always say that I am fine, knew that it was bad. The blood seeped through everything we wrapped my finger in. A butterfly bandage did no good. The health care nurse on the phone said to get to the hospital. I wouldn't leave until the game was over. Six stitches on my index finger and a bunch of people who found it very amusing that so much time had elapsed since I had cut myself. Hey, it was the playoffs.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I will never again use my food processor, sad as it is to say.

Saturday morning, pie crust, murky electrical smell. Where's the "this is probably stupid" part, you ask? Well, it was the second pie crust to generate that unmistakable smell. I'm thinking a public pledge will take care of the temptation to risk life and shelter for a third fruit pie, notwithstanding it's my better half's favorite dessert.

Plus, it could be worse. The food processor was an ancient hand-me-down and had performed valiantly even after a direct hit from a standing mixer falling off the top of my fridge a few years back. Speaking of something else I'll never do again: store a standing mixer on top of a fridge, no matter how little counter space I have (in that kitchen, cabinet space could go without mention).

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to stop cooking with no shoes on. How many times has a knife dropped and nearly hit a bare foot. The other day, I was washing dishes and had a plain old table fork in my hand. It slipped out, and fell with just the right speed and trajectory that one of its tines hit my big toe. Over which there is a rather large vein. Next thing I knew there was a copiously flowing hole on my toe, and I got myself to the bathtub to wash it and apply pressure. It only took around 30 seconds or so to stop the blood (no hemophilia here!) but longer to clean up the kitchen, bathroom and hall floors! Makes me think a lot more about the falling knives though...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Indyrob and Snadra,

My husband's response has been the suggestion that I take a knife skills class. Instead I say that we will make a game of it. Door prize goes to the person who finds part of my fingernail (I cut them off often.) or part of my finger in their food.

Hehe...one Thanksgiving my dad invited two of his students, one of whom was vegan, to dinner. My mom, having no idea what to cook for him (the word "vegan" didn't even exist then), scoured the cookbooks and decided on an almond rice pilaf. As she was chopping the almonds, she managed to slice off the tip of her finger. After she got back from the doctor's, she looked everywhere for the piece, but it never turned up, and she kept worrying that she had accidentally given a piece of animal product to a vegan...

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, I will never again . . . (Part 4)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria