• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

I live to tell this tale because of good ventilation, but who knows what the fumes did to my brain or lungs....I put a plastic cup in the turned off oven to dry out because I was using the stove top; actually I really can't say why I did it. It was the size of a large coffee cup with a handle and made of a very thick material. Several hours later I turned the oven to 425 to pre-heat for bread baking and went outside to water some plants and chat with a neighbor. When I opened the oven door I had a big puddle of melted material dripping through both racks and pooled on the oven floor. Besides feeling like a complete idiot, I had no idea how to clean it up. It is all gone now but "I will never again".

I will never bbq anything in socks again...just a couple of weeks ago I had my new charcoal grill going, and had just dumped the coals from the chimney starter into it. I do this on the sidewalk in front of my house, so I had socks on as I ran inside and out to grab various things. I was attending the grill and felt something go from really warm to very hot on the bottom of my foot, an ember had stuck to my sock and burnt a whole the size of a quarter.

I will never deep-fry chicken barefoot. I was standing at the stove when I picked up a piece of chicken with tongs, only to watch it slip out and fall back into the grease. It splattered all over the floor, luckily missing my bare feet, but melted the kitchen rug in all sorts of places where the grease hit.

I will almost certainly again inadequately flour my pasta sheets that I'm making. You'd think I would have learnt after doing it a few times but apparently not :)

Luckily it doesn't involve pain or permanent consequences, but it's disappointing after spending the time making fresh pasta to try and lift the strips (which I had cut into small 'rags' about an inch wide) and find half of them pretty well stuck to the bench.

Drop a metal & paper twist tie into a bowl of chocolate before microwaving. Five seconds on level 4, and a spark and poof of flame inside the plastic bowl was enough to ruin five ounces of frozen bittersweet chocolate. No matter how much I scraped the exposed sides of charcoal residue, the chocolate still smelled of fire. I'm just glad I was in the room when this happened.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't the first time I forgot the dasher in the icecream maker before pouring some of the mix in...but today is the first time I could't find all the parts Aaargh I stuck my hand mixer whisk in there for a few min then transferred it to a freezer container and I guess I will stick the mixer in there every 20 min or so

hopelessly yours

tracey

Update 20 min later...I am guessing I should't bother changing my shirt until this stuff is done....I did wipe off the ceiling though. Mix whats left again in 20 min

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

This isn't the first time I forgot the dasher in the icecream maker before pouring some of the mix in...but today is the first time I could't find all the parts Aaargh I stuck my hand mixer whisk in there for a few min then transferred it to a freezer container and I guess I will stick the mixer in there every 20 min or so

hopelessly yours

tracey

Update 20 min later...I am guessing I should't bother changing my shirt until this stuff is done....I did wipe off the ceiling though. Mix whats left again in 20 min

Hey, at least it was only the dasher you forgot - I once forgot the bowl!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

....I put a plastic cup in the turned off oven to dry out... Several hours later I turned the oven to 425 to pre-heat for bread baking and went outside...

Similarly, I will never again turn on the oven in a friend's house without first checking to make sure she hasn't stored her Corningware baking dishes (I think it was) in there -- in their original Styrofoam packing!

After having just read about Pyrex care because I acquired a vintage coffee pot, I used a Pyrex bowl to microwave beets. I then transferred them to the oven to roast and concentrate flavor. When they were done the beet liquid was almost scorched. Yup- I promptly poured water into the hot bowl and got the scrunchy sound of unhappy glass. One crack straight through the diameter. I am not doing well lately!

Boy have we had some goodies lately. :raz:

Here's one I've done...AND MORE THAN ONCE. Take the container out of the breadmaker to put in the ingredients and then dump the ingredients straight into the machine. What a mess!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

put boiling hot cream into the blender and the proceed to blend

my face, neck, ear, arm and hand hurt .... and the kitchen looks like a abstract artwork

"None, but people of strong passion are capable of rising to greatness."

• 1 month later...

...fail to label my containers of dried chiles. What are all these, anyway?

Grind them up and throw them all together to make a rub or your own Emeril's "Bam!" seasoning.

Or take pictures of the dried chiles with your phone and go to the grocery store and play Match Game.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I managed to figure out what some of them were by matching them to new bags I bought at the store, but there were two varieties that just didn't look or taste like anything else. I don't know if they just changed appearance over time in the containers, or what. I gave up and pitched them, it's not like I am short on varieties of dried chiles, anyway!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Store my cast iron in the oven with the handle mitt still on. Good thing I started preheating the oven for a braise, and not a pizza.

I'd like to say I will never again turn on the wrong burner and scorch/melt something, but knowing me that's a fairly unreasonable expectation.

Edited by C-Mo (log)

Put tomatoes, onions and ancho chiles under the broiler and walk away to check eGullet, AND ignore the burning smell thinking it was just the tomato skins which were to be mostly pulled off. Those sneaky chile stems stick up and catch on fire! I really need to find a good spot for the laptop in the kitchen area. That would eliminate many of my incredible disasters.

Put tomatoes, onions and ancho chiles under the broiler and walk away to check eGullet, AND ignore the burning smell thinking it was just the tomato skins which were to be mostly pulled off. Those sneaky chile stems stick up and catch on fire! I really need to find a good spot for the laptop in the kitchen area. That would eliminate many of my incredible disasters.

I have taken to carrying a little timer with me almost no matter what I am cooking...we can buy them for $1 at the Dollarama stores and I have several. It's the only way to bring my mind back to what I am doing. A number of times I have been surprised by a timer going off...and suddenly remembering that I actually was toasting nuts...my favorite to burn...or something else.

And you are still so young... :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When making a peach pie, I will never again blindly follow the alternate instructions given by an author to "put the [juice of the macerated peaches] into a heat proof bowl and microwave on high" for something like 12 minutes.

My stovetop with busy with other simmers and reductions, so I happily poured the juice into a pyrex bowl and popped it into the microwave on the other side of the kitchen. Promptly forgot all about it until I kept smelling sugar burning and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I happen to glance over at the microwave and saw this column of brown smoke pouring out, gathering sinisterly like a death-eater from the Harry Potter. In the microwave was the pyrex bowl ablaze, still turning round and round.

So, yeah, I'm in the market for a new microwave. Guess I'll pop over to the Kitchen Consumer thread and check that out.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

When making a peach pie, I will never again blindly follow the alternate instructions given by an author to "put the [juice of the macerated peaches] into a heat proof bowl and microwave on high" for something like 12 minutes.

Separated at birth we must have been. I can see that one easily

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Make brownies on a Saturday afternoon for a function that night, and leave the G.D. electric oven on until Tuesday evening... (hanging my head and moaning...)

It does not have an auto shit off???!!! Oh my.

Nope, not even a timer, and since I live in sunny, HOT, sticky South Florida, I really did not notice the extra heat until I went to make a sandwich for supper tonight. I just figured it was a little hotter than average out! (I've been out of work since the end of June, and no job = no A/C, to keep the electric bill down) :hmmm:( an auto SHIT off? must be a new feature for a self cleaning stove, no?)

ETA: wisecrack!

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"