• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

Open the top of a food processor after grating fresh horseradish until it has rested until it has sat for at least one half-life. The fumes can knock out a small village.

Due to visits to the emergency ward over the past 30 years, and wasting too much of my life waiting for a doctor, I now keep a container of individual use tubes of cyanoacrylate (also known as Crazy glue). Very convenient for the replacemetn of severed finger tips, and joining cut skin. Don't laugh, this is exactly what has been used by the ER doctors on a couple of occasions.

...Better yet, Keep your eye on the apple while you pare it...But the glue is helpful.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Open the top of a food processor after grating fresh horseradish until it has rested until it has sat for at least one half-life. The fumes can knock out a small village.

Due to visits to the emergency ward over the past 30 years, and wasting too much of my life waiting for a  doctor, I now  keep a container of individual use tubes of cyanoacrylate (also known as Crazy glue). Very convenient for the replacemetn of severed finger tips, and joining cut skin. Don't laugh, this is exactly what has been used by the ER doctors on a couple of occasions.

...Better yet, Keep your eye on the apple while you pare it...But the glue is helpful.

I really like the little vials of 4 tiny tubes of crazy glue, very convenient in a backpack. Last sliced thumb I didn't have any, used the steristrips instead, but it would have been much better with a dab of glue before the strips.

Due to visits to the emergency ward over the past 30 years, and wasting too much of my life waiting for a  doctor, I now  keep a container of individual use tubes of cyanoacrylate (also known as Crazy glue). Very convenient for the replacemetn of severed finger tips, and joining cut skin. Don't laugh, this is exactly what has been used by the ER doctors on a couple of occasions.

Darn it! And I threw that 1/3 of my left index finger nail/nailbed away :angry:

Oh well. It'll grow back :wacko:

This is amazing! Is it safe? I mean what happens to the glue inside the cut?

Once in my fast food working days, I was using one of those grease vacuums to empty the deep fryer. While holding the nozzle in the fat, i looked away and tried to reach for a rag or something. The metal nozzle slipped out of my fingers and slid down between my index and middle finger, burning all the way down the insides of both fingers. Holy crap did that hurt. It was one big blister.

Note to self: pay attention to hot fryer fat and anything that goes in or out of it.

This is my boyfriends; He will never decide that the stock pot he is using is too small, and decide to go with the big stock pot, therefore, pouring the stock pot contents (while on the stove) into the big pot splashing all over the stove top, therefore shorting out the electrical trigger to light the burner, and causing smoke and sparks to fly everywhere. It resulted in Maytag having to come out and replace the electrical thingy on the stove top.

Darn it! And I threw that 1/3 of my left index finger nail/nailbed away :angry:

Oh well. It'll grow back :wacko:

Hey, same shit happened to me. It did grow back though, thankfully.... well.... sort of. It still works anyway.

A fresh piece of idiotness, fresh from tonight's dinner.

I will never again...Try to catch my brand new, very sharp knife when it falls from the work top, because I don't want it to get chipped.

WHat a stupid idea.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

A fresh piece of idiotness, fresh from tonight's dinner.

I will never again...Try to catch my brand new, very sharp knife when it falls from the work top, because I don't want it to get chipped.

WHat a stupid idea.

Ouch! I could just imagine the pain... :shock:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Lol, it just got the knuckle end of my index finger, it was relatively forgiving.

I'm sure you've all thought this at some point.

It seemed to be falling in slow motion and whilst fumbling with it for what seemed like forever, I was thinking "Stop you moron! Let it drop!"

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

This morning, I cut my finger drying a sharp knife. No big deal, it was a clean cut that opened up a flap of skin. I won’t say never again, because I know that I will.

With my freshly-cut finger, I ordered stuffed jalapeno peppers for lunch. The stuffed jalapenos came with stems still attached. Did I use a knife and fork to remove the stems? Of course not, I twisted the stem off with my fingers. Specifically, the finger with the fresh cut . . .

Yowza, jalapeno juice in a fresh cut - never again.

This morning, I cut my finger drying a sharp knife. No big deal, it was a clean cut that opened up a flap of skin. I won’t say never again, because I know that I will.

With my freshly-cut finger, I ordered stuffed jalapeno peppers for lunch. The stuffed jalapenos came with stems still attached. Did I use a knife and fork to remove the stems? Of course not, I twisted the stem off with my fingers. Specifically, the finger with the fresh cut . . .

Yowza, jalapeno juice in a fresh cut - never again.

OWWWWW, I can only imagine since I recently cut the the back of my finger with the foil from a wine bottle, and well, needless to say, when you go to squeeze a lime or something, same result. :unsure:

Or when you chop off the tip of your finger while slicing preserved lemons........

lemon+salt+raw flesh=  :wacko:

I'm in vicarious pain just reading this.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Red bell peppers were $2.99/lb! So I decided that I had to use every bit while slicing them paper thin with the mandoline that DH gave me for Christmas. I'm a Yankee and we are frugal, if nothing else.

The slicing guard was in the way . . . so to salvage the last 10 cents' worth of red pepper, I cast aside the slicing guard and ended up with a $2,000 emergency room bill (my balance after my useless HMO made its paltry payments, insurance is such a fraud). I still feel phantom pain in that area of my little finger that used to be.

KBJ

I dropped my knife and rather than try to grab it before it fell to the floor, it was all I can do to get my feet out of the way in time. I didn't. A trip to the emergency room and three stitches later across my big toe, I was back home. Never again will I cook in my bare feet.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I dropped my knife and rather than try to grab it before it fell to the floor, it was all I can do to get my feet out of the way in time.  I didn't.  A trip to the emergency room and three stitches later across my big toe, I was back home.  Never again will I cook in my bare feet.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! Something about the bare feet bit made it worse. I think it's because if you have socks on, at least you can't actually feel the steel, or see the cut.

I (very skillfully) cut the corner of my fingernail off tonight. No skin, just nail, and I'll bet I couldn't do it again if I tried! :biggrin: My heart was beating like crazy.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Yes, my fingernails have saved me on more than one occasion. You look down and say "omg that was close, what was I thinking?!" Although the experience was not in the kitchen, I do know what it feels like when something goes through the nail... I play a type of Greek fiddle where you stop the strings with your fingernails. One string (metal) got a rough spot right where the middle finger did a lot of slides. I was playing for dancing, and was vaguely aware that it was "scraping." But not aware that it was...em...eroding the nail. It suddenly penetrated, and you never saw someone stop playing so fast! :shock: I still get the willies thinking about it.

Back to the kitchen (and thankfully, not to the emergency room) - yesterday I made red poppy jelly from poppies in my garden. I only had about 100 gr of petals as it was, not something you want to waste. As it cooked, it wasn't thickening so I decided a bit more pectin would be a good idea. I tossed it in while it was still on the flame...fastest boilover I've ever witnessed, by the time I could react, a good half a jar was on the stovetop. A bit later I decided to add a bit more sugar, and what did I do? (Um....see earlier post about "Alzheimer's Lite"....) I would have gotten four jars, but....

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 1 month later...

Woke up about 3 this morning, bleary eyed and semi drugged up looking for a wee snack to settle a rumbling tummy. Grabbed the milk, grabbed a bowl and a spoon, then grabbed the green box of cereal. Yum. Apple Jacks.

The green box was garlic parmesan croutons. This is even worse than it sounds. And it was the 2nd spoonful before I figured out what was going on.

The new vow is to not put the croutons next to the cereal.

edited for a typo

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

The slicing guard was in the way . . . so to salvage the last 10 cents' worth of red pepper, I cast aside the slicing guard and ended up with a $2,000 emergency room bill (my balance after my useless HMO made its paltry payments, insurance is such a fraud).  I still feel phantom pain in that area of my little finger that used to be.

I alternately long for a mandoline and thank God I have no idea where to get one here...2000 dollars? What did they have to do?

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I will never again continue to slice anything while they're showing the really cute new waitress the kitchen... and that's all I got to say about that.

On a different note, one that involves a different kind of pain, not the pysical kind, I will never again do an onsite cooking job and forget to test the oven that I've never used before.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I will never again . . .

. . . painstakingly marinate and grill $26 worth of troll-caught king salmon, remove it from grill onto plate, and, while patting self on back for beautiful rosy-golden crust and professional-looking grill marks, inexplicably, spastically send salmon sailing over the deck railing and onto the lawn below, to be instantaneously set up on by gleeful dog and cat.

. . . during lunch rush, curse finger guard on commercial meat slicer as “damned nuisance” and proceed to slice roast beef without it, completely severing entire pad of right index finger. This one was done by my mom in my grandparents’ deli. Lunch rush had to go on without Mom and Grandma as they drove to the emergency room with Mom’s bit of finger in a cup of crushed ice. Amazingly, it was successfully reattached.

. . . put block of frozen chopped spinach in pot to cook and, unable to find matching lid, use lid which, while technically too small, does perfectly fit just inside the pot. Turn away and KABLAM! Spinach on ceiling, walls, floors, cabinets, hair, clothes, everywhere. And of course I had just finished painting the kitchen (and not spinach green!).

. . . while pondering purchase of ceramic knife in crowded Tokyo department store, test thumb against edge of knife just to see if it really is sharp. Knowledge of Japanese was not necessary as frantic Japanese searched their handbags for something to stanch the bleeding, while gesticulating to one another in what was obviously international sign language for “oh my God this stupid gaijin is bleeding everywhere!” And yes, I bought the knife. (Actually, I turned to my husband and said, “Sold!”)