• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

I promise, I swear, I covenant that I will never again pan roast something, put it in the oven, take it out of the oven, remove the meat, and begin to deglaze the pan while grabbing the (DAMN, THAT'S REALLY HOT) handle.

what varmint said.... i can't tell you how many times i've done this!

Leslie Crowell

it will all be fine in the end. if it isn't fine, it isn't the end.

Ha ha ha... this happened to my eggplant that I roasted over my gas burner. it exploded, spraying me with eggplant bits all over.

YIKES!!!! now that would have scared the crap out of me for sure ..glad you are ok!!!

I was making browning with sugar the other day had to turn the stove off to go run do something ...did not remove the pot from the hot burner for some unknown reason that is still beyond my normal level of logic .....when I came back the charred volcano of sugar had swelled up overflowed my pot and completely covered my burner ...

I will never ever again leave sugar on a turned off burner ..that was about the dumbest thing I have ever done!!!

I am still cleaning this mess up ...

I had to put my pot in the oven and run the self cleaner because nothing I tried would get the sugar out of it .it is one of my best pots and thank goodness that worked.....my cooktop burner is still usable but a black charred mess on the stainless .

any suggestions for getting this cleaned off ?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I learned my lessons about chiles the hard way. I was making red chile sauce and I didn't think the New Mexico chiles were all that dangerous. Until I went to rub my eye.

gallery_52521_4309_255362.jpg

The next time I made red chile sauce, I wore gloves, as you can see. I also sent my family to the mall while I toasted the chiles and fried the paste.

So that's where tear gas comes from!

I will never again forget to pierce an eggplant before roasting whole it in the oven .....

it sounded like a gun went off in there!  and the aggplant was MIA!!!

I think this has happened to many people.

I have a "trick" I learned in one of the cooking classes I took years ago.

I shove an aluminum (Pyrex works too) baster, small end first, (minus the rubber bulb) into the eggplant.

it not only vents the build up of gases, it seems to roast it more evenly as the aluminum transmits heat to the interior.

Basters that have lost their rubber bulbs are not to be thrown away, they come in handy for a lot of things.

For instance, extending the reach of a funnel deep into a vessel, and there is the following.

(I always stick one into the middle of dressing stuffed into a large turkey - in fact, I use two if it is really a huge bird. This guarantees that the stuffing will cook completely through to the middle and I think it makes it taste better. It is obviously tranferring the heat well, because when it is removed, there are bits of brown crunchy dressing stuck to it - very tasty nibbles.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I promise, I swear, I covenant that I will never again pan roast something, put it in the oven, take it out of the oven, remove the meat, and begin to deglaze the pan while grabbing the (DAMN, THAT'S REALLY HOT) handle.

what varmint said.... i can't tell you how many times i've done this!

I've done it too...I learned a good solution from this site (possibly this thread actually but don't feel like searching): as soon as you take it out, leave a towel or potholder on the handle. "Hmm...why is that there....oh yeah!" ;)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I will never again forget to pierce an eggplant before roasting whole it in the oven .....

it sounded like a gun went off in there!  and the aggplant was MIA!!!

Hah! That reminds me of a time... I had bought some chestnuts which I threw in the oven to roast while I took a bath. I heard distant explosions and discovered the chestnuts blowing themselves up.

Notice that before I wrote "threw in the oven," I didn't write "cut little x's in them so they wouldn't explode."

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

These are all probably really stupid, but....

I will never again flip chocolate chip pancakes onto my plate with so much force that some of the chocolate flies out, leaving a round scar on my wrist for years to come.

I will never again try to soften previously-refridgerated peanut butter in the microwave, even on a low power setting. See, the problem is that the inner seal is made of some kind of metal - and when you didn't get all of it off when it was first opened, the microwave sets it on fire with a loud BANG.

I will never again bake during a snow storm, because when the power goes out and your oven doesn't work anymore, your lemon bars turn into an unidentifiable substance.

This thread is making me laugh so hard. :laugh:

... as I was mixing a orange juice, lotsa garlic brine for a pork butt and then decide to kick up the heat by adding half a bottle of orange habanero sauce then taking in a deep breath over the bowl to see if it has a good smell.

It was a quick coughing spell-nothing too bad.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

I hate it when I'm cooking something (it's happened more than once, unfortunately) and all of a sudden I look at food I've just prepped and think "How the hell did rasberry puree get sprinkled all over this shit?". I quickly realize that I've cut myself and it's actually my blood. :shock:

And man, Thai bird chilies are dangerous! I'll prep them, wash my hands.... maybe a few times, and I'll go to the bathroom. 5 minutes later I start feeling some warmth. In 10 minutes I must look like I'm dancing from how I'm reacting the fire in my pants! It's a creeper, man.

a cast of thousands thru the house all day, no clean glasses left, decide to cook mapo tofu, 2 white mugs, one containing peanut oil, one with white wine..........won't have to worry about eating bran for a day or two :smile:

Gee - I haven't done that since - well - last Saturday. :blink:

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I learned my lessons about chiles the hard way. I was making red chile sauce and I didn't think the New Mexico chiles were all that dangerous. Until I went to rub my eye.

This reminds of a time not too long ago (July 15, 2006 6:33 PM) that I was making a Thai dish that was to have about 5 Thai Chilies sliced in the dish. After having a beer or two before starting dinner I found myself having to use the restroom. I finished slicing up the chilies and like a dumb ass I forgot to wash my hands. It took a couple of minutes before the heat started coming on and within 5 minutes my unmentionable was on FIRE!!!! Without going into the gory details it took over two hours for the heat to subside to a managable level. At least our dinner was good.

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

This reminds of a time not too long ago (July 15, 2006 6:33 PM) that I was making a Thai dish that was to have about 5 Thai Chilies sliced in the dish. After having a beer or two before starting dinner I found myself having to use the restroom. I finished slicing up the chilies and like a dumb ass I forgot to wash my hands. It took a couple of minutes before the heat started coming on and within 5 minutes my unmentionable was on FIRE!!!! Without going into the gory details it took over two hours for the heat to subside to a managable level. At least our dinner was good.

Bob

I'm guessing you were 'Altoman' at the time? :blink:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Gee - I haven't done that since - well - last Saturday. :blink:

It takes several decades of burnt paws but eventually you remember to leave the towel or potholder ON the handle so that perhaps this can someday, please God, be avoided...or you just burn yourdangfrickinself again. :laugh: and again. Complementary one size fits all t-shirts.

And man, Thai bird chilies are dangerous! I'll prep them, wash my hands.... maybe a few times, and I'll go to the bathroom. 5 minutes later I start feeling some warmth. In 10 minutes I must look like I'm dancing from how I'm reacting the fire in my pants! It's a creeper, man.

this is why I take my contacts out BEFORE I handle chiles of any kind (especially habaneros). I used to chop chiles and then take my contacts out afterwards (after washing my hands about 50 times) and my eyes would still sting. Now I play it safe and wear my regular eye glasses and wear latex gloves

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I will never again tenderize veal scaloppini on a ceramic cook top.  Then replace the stove only to find out later that I could have replaced just the ceramic part.      :sad:

:shock:

Oh, you do have my sympathies! :sad:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Don't forget to re label an empty jar of arrow root , after putting citric acid in it..Makes for

some really nice shrimp with a clear sauce that tastes like lemonaid...yetch!!

Bud

I'll never again look away when I'm removing a dish from under the broiler. I still might be a few attempts away from perfect grill marks on my steaks, but the ones on my oven mitts look fantastic!

Also, this one isn't directly mine (unless you count "I will never again trust that restaurant with a dessert"), but for my girlfriend's birthday we brought along a birthday cake which the restaurant offered to keep in their fridge until it was time to bring it. Obviously they don't believe in plastic wrap or container lids in the fridge, if the onion-scented cream on her cake was anything to go by.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake