• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

Yesterday I caught a falling baby with a 9 inch slicer in hand.  Talk about luck.

Best thank your (and the baby's) guardian angels for that trick! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Variation of the Handle-pan-fresh-out-of-the-oven story:

Pulling some rice that was finished cooking in a skillet out of the oven. Started chopping something, thought,"Oh, I need to put some butter in the rice." Without even thinking, I grabbed the pan handle. Scream of pain. Alright, no problem, I've burned myself several times before, I can handle it. Grabbed a kitchen towel, added the butter. Went back to chopping, thought,"Oh, I need to put the rice in a warm place." Mindful of my burned right hand, I reached for it with my left hand.

------------

Another story from cooking school:

Don't remember which recipe, but I needed a hard-boiled egg. To be nice to my fellow students (who had helped me out on several occasions), I boiled some additional ones for them. Turns out later that they didn't need it. What to do with the boiled eggs, still in their shells? One guy suggested that I just send it back down to the prep kitchen with the other unused eggs. They could surely figure out the difference and use them in some way?

In the demo that afternoon, guess which eggs the chef tried to crack for the dessert pastry?

Another story from cooking school:

Don't remember which recipe, but I needed a hard-boiled egg.  To be nice to my fellow students (who had helped me out on several occasions), I boiled some additional ones for them.  Turns out later that they didn't need it.  What to do with the boiled eggs, still in their shells?  One guy suggested that I just send it back down to the prep kitchen with the other unused eggs.  They could surely figure out the difference and use them in some way?

In the demo that afternoon, guess which eggs the chef tried to crack for the dessert pastry?

My grandmother used to hardboil a bunch of eggs 2 or 3 times a week. After they'd cooled, she'd take a grease pencil and make an X on the shell of each one. Never ended up with a raw egg in the potato salad that way! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again open a box of Tupperware on the kitchen floor with kitchen shears, when my leg is directly in the path of the shears. Right through the tape and the point of the shears embedded in my leg, just under the knee.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yesterday I caught a falling baby with a 9 inch slicer in hand.  Talk about luck.

What in heck was that baby doing holding a 9 inch slicer? :shock::laugh:

(ok, I'm only laughing because the save was successful, and I'm trying not to hyperventilate at the image you created).

Marlene, are your tetanus vaccines up to date? OUCH.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I think so. It wasn't my brightest moment. and it aches likes crazy now. I did the same thing with brownies when I was much younger. Sliced towards me, and managed to slice the nice fleshy part between my thumb and forefinger open. Obviously, I keep forgetting the "slice away from you" lesson.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I will never again open a box of Tupperware on the kitchen floor with kitchen shears, when my leg is directly in the path of the shears.  Right through the tape and the point of the shears embedded in my leg, just under the knee.

OUCH!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never again open a box of Tupperware on the kitchen floor with kitchen shears, when my leg is directly in the path of the shears.  Right through the tape and the point of the shears embedded in my leg, just under the knee.

A Boo Radley moment, to be sure. (Sympathy smilie)

I think so.  It wasn't my brightest moment.  and it aches likes crazy now.  I did the same thing with brownies when I was much younger.  Sliced towards me, and managed to slice the nice fleshy part between my thumb and forefinger open.  Obviously, I keep forgetting the "slice away from you" lesson.

Eewww! I did that too. I looked down, saw INSIDE my hand and keeled over. There really wasn't that much damage...but EEEeeeWWW!

When making Pierre Herme's Nutella tart, make sure to use 7 TABLESPOONS of butter and NOT 7 OUNCES!! Don't EVER listen to breaking news while baking! Think I saved it though. ( Wish I could say the same thing about the world situation. Nuff said.) Will find out this afternoon when we can cut into it.

• 2 weeks later...

.... buy generic Saran Wrap. Period. Sometimes, there just is no substitute for the real deal.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

If you let a friend help you in the kitchen - be sure to keep your peripheral vision in working order, otherwise, you will have a "burn" ring on your counter from a hottttt pottttt. The worst thing - he tried to 'erase' it by using a grill pad!! (Luckily for me I was in the planning stages of remodeling my kitchen.)

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. ~ F.Wilson

Forget to put the pot under the coffee maker....nothing like coming back to massive amounts of steaming coffee all over the counter and floor at 5am!!!

OR...you are in the process of making coffee, you get distracted, you add the water BUT FORGET TO PUT THE COFFEE IN....nothing like a little hot water to wake you up in morning! :wink:

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. ~ F.Wilson

I just did this...rub my eye after handling hot peppers! DUH! DUH! DUH!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I will never again "just pop" a fiery red thai pepper from my garden into my mouth and crunch it up-just to see if they are hot this year.

OH MY GOD!!!!! :shock::shock::shock: THE PAIN!

I stood there with the hose in my mouth for 5 minutes. Then a 1/2 bag of ice.

That is two painful episodes in one day. After that I just went to bed before I hurt myself anymore.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I will never again  "just pop" a fiery red thai pepper from my garden into my mouth and crunch it up-just to see if they are hot this year.

OH MY GOD!!!!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock: THE PAIN!

I take it that's a yes, then? :biggrin:

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Attempt to get the last bits of grated ginger out of the back side of my microplane grater with my finger (those edges are sharp!). I now own a small rubber spatula expressly dedicated to the purpose...

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I will never again  "just pop" a fiery red thai pepper from my garden into my mouth and crunch it up-just to see if they are hot this year.

I stood there with the hose in my mouth for 5 minutes. Then a 1/2 bag of ice.

That is two painful episodes in one day. After that I just went to bed before I hurt myself anymore.

Here is the correct procedure:

1) Pinch off a pepper

2) With your thumbnail, scratch the surface and gently touch to your lips

3) Lick your lips and see what you think

4) Hand pepper to your spouse and ask him to taste it. .....works for me, everytime. You'd think he'd get wise by now! :cool::laugh:

This happened awhile back, but I had to read through all the earlier pages in the hope of finding somebody to commiserate with me. No such luck. I did have a lot of fun reading them though. I would feel bad for laughing, but I have a contribution.

I was slicing a cake, then I put down the knife and started removing slices of the cake to the container. Next thing I know, the knife's falling down onto the floor. No, I didn't try to catch it, but...

I got a nice slice on the side of my big toe. My right one. Also known as the side with the injured ankle from...you guessed it, falling in the kitchen!

I bled all over the kitchen floor, and because I didn't want my mom to say I told you so, I had to clean up the blood and everything else! This was probably around 2-3 am in the morning--that's usually when I bake.

Yes, I saw the warnings about cooking barefoot, but I live in Singapore. We go barefoot in the house.

So now I've a noticeable line where the cut was. Not a scar, but it's noticeable enough that when I went to the doc for the injured ankle again, I was afraid he'd notice and then I'd have to spill.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

In Indonesia these peppers are know as Cabe Rawit and are commonly served as an accompaniment to 'Gorengan' which are best translated as 'Fried Stuff' such as battered tempeh, deep fried boiled yam, fried stuffed tofu, banana fritters etc, they are sold door to door around the residential areas by a guy carrying a big wok of hot oil and a kerosene burner on one end and a small food container/seat at the other end of a short bamboo pole balanced on his shoulder! You do find that you get used to the heat, even my 4 year old son eats them with his afternoon snack!

As for the things I will never do again in the kitchen, recently having bought some Ice Cream in a local supermarket I asked the young lady behind the fish counter for some ice, on returning home, I opened the plastic bad and put my hand in to remove the ice which was there. The instant stinging told me to put my hand under the tap where I was confronted by mysterious clouds of vapour. The shop assistant had given me Dry Ice! Luckily no permanent harm was done and the children really seemed to enjoy watching daddy dancing by the taps shrouded in mist! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

First time I ever cooked on hot line of a professional kitchen....

Put oil in pan...then without thinking putting the plastic speed pour bottle on the french top, turning around to get something and turning around again to see the bottle melt and oil spreading all over!

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I was recently using the mandoline to slice some lemons for lemonade and it seemed safe enough to do the first few strokes without the guard.

All was going well and I was finally getting comfortable with it (I had avoided using it for months!) when I realized my knuckle had just taken a trip through the slicer.

First thought "Ow!"

Second thought "Well, at least according to that thread on eGullet, everyone seems to sacrifice a bit of themselves to the mandoline! Maybe now the kitchen gods will be kinder to me."

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

Ok, heres a good one.

I was making a romesco sauce and I got out the hand blender to buzz the sauce into a puree. As I'm blending it, I hear this odd noise with the hand blender. Puzzled, I take a look at the bottom and theres this chunk of bread stuck between the blade and the side hole of the blender. Evidently, one of my chunks of bread was a bit too big and hadn't softened fully.

Not fully thinking, I then hold the blender up closer for inspection and press the button. Hot romesco sauce goes splattering over the kitchen including a good bit over my arms and face.

The worst part was that since I had the blender in one hand and the pot in the other, my thinking process went something like this:

Holy Hell, I have romesco sauce on my face...

I need to set this stuff down to get my hands free

Shit, theres not enough flat room here to put down a pan, what am I going to do?

MY FACE!!!

I know, the counter behind me is free

*starts turning*

Shit, the cord for the hand mixer isn't long enough, how am I going to get over there

IT BURNS!!!

Shitshitshitshit

Hang on, I can put down the blender first

*throws the blender among the pile of assorted kitchen detritus*

*turns around quickly and sets down the pan*

GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF

*wipes off all the burning lava sauce from my face and arms*

You ever tried thinking clearly with hot romesco sauce on your face? I didn't think so. So quit your bellyaching!

PS: I am a guy.

So im doing a 3 day stage in minneapolis at cosmos. Pretty cool restaurant and its my first day im trying to do a good job and not screw anything up. One of the cooks asks me to blend his sauce in the mixer so im like ok fair enough, it comes off the stove i pour it in the blender, put the top on, remembering heat expands i pull the middle cap out and put my towel over it. Turn it on WHOOOOOOM! Hot sauce all over my face and about a 2 foot radius everywhere, my face and arms are burning and i get that off and go wow that sucked! hope no one saw that. Clean the area up, and go for take 2, and im like ok i need to make sure i hold it on good and leave the center thing out, do it again all over again even worse! Im like wow i feel like a moron, one of the cooks is looks over and says "are you having some trouble" I had no idea what to do, and was abut to try take 3 not knowing what i was doing wrong when the sous chef walks by im like what the hell is the secret? He says, " put it on low speed pulse it a couple times, then slowly go to a higher speed" sure enough it worked great and i looked like a moron!