• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 3)

I will never again do my daily cleaning of the stove AFTER dinner instead of BEFORE breakfast. Although removing the still heated gas covers with my bare hand DID give me a good excuse to have a glass of rum for bedtime snack! sad.gif

[Moderator note: The original I will never again . . . topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: I will never again . . . (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator ote added. (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 1 month later...

First, I am to cooking what a blind person is to lawn darts. I like to keep at it but sometimes it's painfull and I hurt others :)

I will never again throw kosher salt into my Ancho Chile and Coffee sauce while it's reducing. Let's just say that I now know how to create that school science project volcano effect with delicious chile sauce and know how Pompeii must have smelled after the disaster.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Guess what? When a pan comes out of a 400 degree oven, that handle is HOT! And I now have the scar across my palm to prove it.

ETA: That melted Gourmet mag is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Edited by MissAmy (log)

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Hankering after a midnight sandwich, I will never again fry off the half dozen egg yokes found in the fridge after a boozy night out to discover that I'd been sautéing 6 peach halves.  :wacko:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did they spatter? What did you get them out of the container with? BURNING Question: did you EAT them??

ETA: thinking about this a while ago: By odds, some of the halves should have landed flatside up in the skillet...did you not notice that some of the "yolks" were lying there flaunting their undersides?

This is still funny the second time.

Nope, slid off the plate a treat and looked forever like large egg yolks.

I did twig after a while and redeemed the situation by adding sugar to make a caramel added the peaches to some vanilla ice cream and scoffed the lot.

I hope I will never again...

touch my hands to my face while or directly after working with peppers. It's very rare that I make that mistake, actually, but it's certainly not pleasant.

Oh! Another! I will never again stand directly over a pan while cooking with many hot peppers and pastes made of peppers. I've only done that twice before, but each time was a good lesson.

I will never again slice through my thumbnail with my chef's knife and decide I can just pull the nail off. I now have half a nail bed on my thumb and it's wrapped up thicker than a mummy. It took an hour for it to stop bleeding. Of course, I made sure I didn't bleed into Easter dinner!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You have no idea how much! :angry: It's not terribly pretty either. And man does it throb. I do know that my chef's knife is pretty sharp though!

Marlene

Not only did Marlene and I smoke turkeys today, I also sustained a "war" inujury.

Lesson learned. Be careful when you multi task.

As I reached for the shredder thing in my KA food processor accessory box, I slid my index finger over the slicer blade. That blade is sharp. To the bone sharp.

Had I not been alone with the three kids and a turkey smoker, it would have been off to the ER.

All of my time saving resulted in 9 bandaids and 40 minutes of serious pressure to squelch the bleeding.

Did get me out of washing dishes, at quite a price. I did not bleed on the turkey.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

What a team. Hubby suggested delicately, "don't you think you should have that looked at"?. "You're kidding" I replied. I've got Easter dinner to cook. I don't have time to spend 6 hours in emergency so they can put a bandaid on it, the same as I'm doing now. What are they going to do? Sew the nail back on? Oy.

Marlene

Oh, Susan - I can feel it from here in Portland. <ouch!>

I must remark, though, that only on eGullet would we actually cheer the fact that you did not bleed on the turkey!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Geez, you're injury twins. Something tells me that you BOTH need some liquid medication tonight! I can FEEL those cuts in my own hand, ack. So terrible. My heart goes out to you both!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I have two...

...never try to "hard boil" eggs in a micro wave

...here's one noone has ever heard of...

...never put you face so close to a sauce pot to smell something and have the rim of the pot burn you forehead...i have a perfectly straight line on my forhead now, fading but still there. I will not forget the day i walked out of class and my instructors and friends all laughed at me...very embarassing. :raz:

S-tran, your story made me laugh so hard I had to change my underwear!

I reminds me of a stupid thing I did once, a bit off topic, but totally related to your story.

I was running late for work, had to quickly iron my dress, and once I put it on, I realized I'd missed a patch on the left side by the collar.

So of course, I did what any idiot would do... I used the hot iron to spot touch the left side of my dress (while wearing it, natch.)... and you got it..

The minute I'd burned my neck I shouted cr*p! How dumb can one adult get! It was one of those moments where you instantly know what a jackass you are. If only that realization had come seconds earlier.

I had to put up with taunts and jokes for days, and still sport a suspicious scar on my neck to this day!

Julia

Edited by eJulia (log)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

S-tran, your story made me laugh so hard I had to change my underwear!

I reminds me of a stupid thing I did once, a bit off topic, but totally related to your story.

I was running late for work, had to quickly iron my dress, and once I put it on, I realized I'd missed a patch on the left side by the collar.

So of course, I did what any idiot would do... I used the hot iron to spot touch the left side of my dress (while wearing it, natch.)... and you got it..

The minute I'd burned my neck I shouted cr*p!  How dumb can one adult get!  It was one of those moments where you instantly know what a jackass you are.  If only that realization had come seconds earlier.

I had to put up with taunts and jokes for days, and still sport a suspicious scar on my neck to this day!

Julia

:sad: Been there !

Also managed to slice the right third of my left index finger, through the nail, directly into the chopped herbs............. :wacko:

I WAS eating alone, but had given all my Bandaids to my daughter to take on a Spring Break roadtrip. Paper towels and Scoth Tape, anyone? And an hour of walking around with my hand above my head saying, "Ow."

Never think "I'll leave the cake in the oven just one more minute while I quickly make some custard".

7, 8, 10 minutes later you have custard, and a very heavily caramellized cake. :sad:

Wrong timing is one of my favorite stupid kitchen mistakes. Not so easily avoided.

Ah well with the recent posts on this thread, I feel lucky that at least I still have all my fingers :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Yesterday, I was using the french fry attachment on my trusty mandoline to make sweet potato fries. Because the sweet potatoes were too large to use the hand guard as it was intended, I had the "brilliant" idea to use the guard as a pusher, guiding the sweet potato along the blades while steadying it with my other hand. 7 year old nephew, observing, states: "I do not think you are using that correctly." Two swipes of the sweet potato later, my hand slips, and jams into the blade. I am now missing a sweet potato fry sized chunk of the tip of my thumb. Nephew's response to the kitchen carnage: a big sigh, a roll of the eyes, and an "I TOLD you that you were not using that correctly!"

And, after all that, the stupid fries did not even crisp up properly. :angry:

I hesitate to post this because it may be too far out there even for this thread, but here goes:

I will never again take hot carmelized sugar and, while swirling it in the flan dish, notice a lump and investigate with my finger. That way I won't have to worry about the fact that my immediate reaction is to try to put said finger in my mouth. Because I now know (like I couldn't figure this out before?!?) that I will have a blister on both my finger AND my lip.

Yeah, never again.