• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 2)

I will never again grab the handles of a stainless steel roasting pan with my bare hands - right after it comes out of the oven. Not once, but twice in the space of 5 minutes.

My left hand is now soaking in ice. :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I will never again grab the handles of a stainless steel roasting pan with my bare hands - right after it comes out of the oven.  Not once, but twice in the space of 5 minutes.

My left hand is now soaking in ice. :blink:

Move away from that glass of wine, slowly. :raz::raz::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

not a chance. It's a great painkiller. For the record, It's not a good idea to hold a hot slice of pizza in your burned fingertips either :rolleyes:

Marlene

Put cottage cheese into a blender to make it 'look' like ricotta. Did that years ago for a dinner party. Had one container of Ricotta, but needed more, and ran to the store, and had to get cottage cheese. Figured if I could blend it up, it would taste the same as ricotta. Well, it worked, but I managed to break the blender in the process and send cottage cheese flying around the kitchen. Yes, they really do mean it when they recommend not sticking knives in blenders. It was an impressive feat.

:shock: Pam

Put cottage cheese into a blender to make it 'look' like ricotta.  Did that years ago for a dinner party. Had one container of Ricotta, but needed more, and ran to the store, and had to get cottage cheese.  Figured if I could blend it up, it would taste the same as ricotta.  Well, it worked, but I managed to break the blender in the process and send cottage cheese flying around the kitchen.  Yes, they really do mean it when they recommend not sticking knives in blenders. It was an impressive feat.

Sounds pretty avant garde to me. I could be wrong, but wasn't Ferran Adria working on a blendered foam of cottage cheese and ricotta and stainless steel leaf?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I will never again roll out pasta for ravioli at setting 7 to make them more 'durable' and put them on the table without testing them. i immediately put them (with sage butter) in the nuker and gave a few minutes, but no go. some cut them open and ate the filling, although the majority became deep fried the next night.

I will never again overlook the 6 pack of soda that inevitably ends up in your freezer after a party. that was fun to clean.

Edited by PurpleDingo99 (log)

I was saved by the butter!!

That is my feel good read for the day. I love butter and I loved that you were saved by it!

If you stop and think about it, doesn't butter save you every time it passes through your lips?

[Homer]Mmmmmm...... Butterrrr.......[/Homer]

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Put the beans in my grind and brew coffee maker, add water, turn it on, forget to add basket.

I now have ground coffee all over the place.

This just isn't going to be my week in the kitchen. :sad:

Marlene

.......shake any jar/bottle up for use, without tightening the lid first. I don't relish the thought of having to clean relish off of the ceiling again.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

Put the beans in my grind and brew coffee maker, add water, turn it on, forget to add basket.

I now have ground coffee all over the place.

This just isn't going to be my week in the kitchen. :sad:

Similar oopsie . . . I put the grounds in the filter in the basket. I hit the on button. Then, not even a minute later, I realize that I haven't added the water. I add the water. Big mistake. The water hits the heating element and blows steam into the basket. Who knew that the thing would heat up that fast or that Melitta fine grind coffee grounds could get blown all the way into the living room! :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Speaking of spectacular flying coffee grounds: anyone ever use a Mokka at altitude?? When we ski in Utah, the base altitude is 8.000+ feet....if you don't let that sucker completely cool down before you unscrew it, the results are truly spectacular!! Think 'dirty bomb'..... :shock::biggrin:

Actually...opening a bottle of seltzer up there is also pretty entertaining...

Butter was too cool. Stuck to the ten inch Henckel. For some reason I tried to slide it free and of course the butter made my thumb slide onto the blade.

zzzzkt

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Friendly butter :smile:

I was saved by the butter!!

That is my feel good read for the day. I love butter and I loved that you were saved by it!

:biggrin:

Unfriendly butter :sad: ouch!

Butter was too cool. Stuck to the ten inch Henckel. For some reason I tried to slide it free and of course the butter made my thumb slide onto the blade.

zzzzkt

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

last week's blunder: zipping through this recipe, which all worked well except for the slightly puzzling instruction to make a whole heap of spice mixes ... and then ONLY USE A TABLESPOON OF EACH.

too bad i missed that last part. i've since been dubbed Spice Boy.

Started a lovely loaf of Cinnamon bread in my breadmaker to make the house smell nice because it was being shown this morning. Make myself scarce while strangers are in home, come back, the house smells wonderful.

Timer goes off on breadmaker. I was busy so 15 minutes later I went to get the bread out. Open door, reach in, take hot pan out. Drop the pan on the floor when hot pan comes in contact with my previously burned fingers from two days ago.

What is it with me and hot things this week? Somebody stop me. I'm becoming a danger to myself! :blink:

Marlene

Started a lovely loaf of Cinnamon bread in my breadmaker to make the house smell nice because it was being shown this morning.  Make myself scarce while strangers are in home, come back, the house smells wonderful.

Timer goes off on breadmaker.  I was busy so 15 minutes later I went to get the bread out.  Open door, reach in, take hot pan out.  Drop the pan on the floor when hot pan comes in contact with my previously burned fingers from two days ago.

What is it with me and hot things this week?  Somebody stop me.  I'm becoming a danger to myself! :blink:

Reminiscent of the Christmas morning exploits in our household. Popped some cinnamon buns into the oven and set the timer. Came back downstairs to continue opening presents. While opening presents, popped in new CD and had it playing fairly loud. You know what comes next.

Missed hearing the timer beeping. By some act of God, the thought popped into my head that we needed to check the oven. Mushroom cloud of smoke billows out into my husband's face as he opens the oven door. Cinnamon buns were a mass of charred briquette-like items, but the inside part was still salvageable.

However, in all that excitement, my husband notched one of the dials on our cooktop and inadvertently turned a burner on. The same burner that had a rollerball pen and the cinnamon bun recipe sitting on top of it. :blink:

A rather sickly sweet smell later, my Mom walked upstairs to find that the pen had disintegrated into a puddle of molten ooze all over the burner. And I only had half a recipe left. Thank God dear husband was able to extract all traces of plastic from the burner; otherwise, it would still be a rather aromatic kitchen.

Merry freakin' Christmas morning!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I will never again...... ignore the inner voice telling me that I probably shouldn't be holding the raw chicken that way while cutting it up, and learning that the damn voice was right when the knife slipped and hit my finger, just missing cutting off the fingertip joint on my left index finger.......

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Set the scene:

Precious gift of Chambord for Xmas. Hate trying to pour from the bottle it comes in so decant into empty brandy bottle and label carefully. Stick in bar with other liqueurs.

Today:

Oxtails have been marinating for two days. It's early morning, long before sunrise, time to braise them.

Brown oxtails, saute aromatics, add brandy - OOPS - Chambord into my oxtail braise! Grab vinegar and add equal amount hoping to neutralize. Continue with recipe, taste, reduce, taste, add more wine, reduce, taste. Pray! I can detect the Chambord by smell and taste, but I am hoping it will add an undertone of sweetness that will intrique others.

Would not have happened before egullet WHEN I MEASURED EVERYTHING INSTEAD OF EYE BALLING IT! I would have caught it in the measuring spoon! SO, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! :biggrin:

Who knows, it might be a recipe to keep. :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never again...... ignore the inner voice telling me that I probably shouldn't be holding the raw chicken that way while cutting it up, and learning that the damn voice was right when the knife slipped and hit my finger, just missing cutting off the fingertip joint on my left index finger.......

LV:"If you hold that hambone that way, you WILL cut your thumb."

Me: "Oh, yeah--just watch me."

LV: "Do it your way."

Me: " @&%***!! Mom, do you have any bandaids?"

sparrowgrass

My husband will never again stick a wooden spoon in the running blender while making margaritas, to dislodge a stuck ice cube.

Mmm. Fibre-filled frozen margaritas. We had to throw the whole goddamned thing out. What a waste of good tequila and lime juice.

:angry:

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

My husband will never again stick a wooden spoon in the running blender while making margaritas,  to dislodge a stuck ice cube.

Mmm.  Fibre-filled frozen margaritas.  We had to throw the whole goddamned thing out.  What a waste of good tequila and lime juice.

:angry:

Mmmm, paper coffe filter in strainer, margarita goes into bowl beneath, dead wood stays in filter? (ducks for cover) :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"