• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 2)

Don't let people who don't know where stuff goes in your kitchen unload the dishwasher and put the stuff away.

And, once again, don't pull a pan out of the oven without a potholder.

[Moderator note: The original I will never again . . . topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: I will never again . . . (Part 1)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Do what I just got just finished doing---

I was making a little roux and instead of grabbing one of my usual wooden stirring implements I (who knows shy, must be three days and 15 inches of rain) grabbed a rubber spatula. A few minutes into the stirring (I was only making alittle bit to make some sauce for pasta) I noticed white threads in the roux. My spatula was mellting into it.

After looking closely at the thing, I discovered it said, in pretty clear writing, not safe for hot items. DUH.

I threw all of it (roux and spatula) out and started over.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I will never again try to dispose of tofu gone bad down the disposal. Two bricks of the stuff. Apparently I clogged the kitchen sink. So out comes the plunger. Also, out comes gratuitous grungy grotnotonous slime from the drain behind the washer. Who knew they were connected. So now the kitchen smells like rotten tofu, and I was up half the night tryin to clean it up and fix it. Feh. I still dont know if its fixed. Hopefully the SO will know what to do when he gets home!

Put a digital camera (used for food photography) on the roof of the car and drive off! I am devastated. This happened to my daughter yesterday. I had borrowed the camera for some food photography and had returned it to her. She must have put it on the roof or perhaps the hood of the car while she got in. A few miles later she heard a clunk and looked back - it was the camera - it is TOAST! I feel awful!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never again try to dispose of tofu gone bad down the disposal.  Two bricks of the stuff.  Apparently I clogged the kitchen sink.  So out comes the plunger.  Also, out comes gratuitous grungy grotnotonous slime from the drain behind the washer.  Who knew they were connected.  So now the kitchen smells like rotten tofu, and I was up half the night tryin to clean it up and fix it.  Feh.  I still dont know if its fixed.  Hopefully the SO will know what to do when he gets home!

My wife did the same thing with leftovers from Passover (kishke, matzoh balls, etc.) and completely blocked our sewer line. When the plumber came (to perform the 3.5 hour rodding job :angry:) he asked her "do you celebrate Passover?" He called it the Passover Syndrome.

So...I will never again let my wife handle the Passover clean-up. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Do what I just got just finished doing---

I was making a little roux and instead of grabbing one of my usual wooden stirring implements I (who knows shy, must be three days and 15 inches of rain) grabbed a rubber spatula. A few minutes into the stirring (I was only making alittle bit to make some sauce for pasta) I noticed white threads in the roux. My spatula was mellting into it.

I noticed the same white streaks the first time I tried to make caramel. Since I was in my parents' kitchen at the time, it was Mom's spatula...so we surprised each other with silicone spatulas for Christmas! laugh.gif

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Went to dinner and a show with friends tonight. Their son had made waffles last Saturday, which were okay but tasted a little bit wrong. He figured he'd make them again on Sunday, for Mothers' Day. They were horrible this time. Gee, he said, I made them just like I did yesterday's, which weren't great but weren't THIS bad.

Sometime later he remembered: both days he had used baking soda instead of baking powder.

And even later he remembered that instead of three teaspoons of the stuff, he had used three TABLESPOONS.

i have to amend my previous post because this morning i did a stupid stupid STUPID thing. i made cinnamon toast. when i took it out of te oven, i put my finger in the bubbling butter/sugar/cinnamon.

OUCH. had to put my finger under the faucet in the tub to get the stuff off my finger! it stuck!

that was at 9 am. it is now 12:30 am. i am still soaking it in ice water.

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

i have to amend my previous post because this morning i did a stupid stupid STUPID thing. i made cinnamon toast. when i took it out of te oven, i put my finger in the bubbling butter/sugar/cinnamon.

OUCH. had to put my finger under the faucet in the tub to get the stuff off my finger! it stuck!

that was at 9 am. it is now 12:30 am. i am still soaking it in ice water.

xo

Sugar burns are bad!! Keep some lavender oil around the kitchen, its great for burns. Fresh aloe is good too if you are growing it, but the lavender smells better!

hathor, it's good to see the lavendar oil comment. I feel validated after having more than one person look at me like I am insane when I suggest that. It may be an urban legend, but I was told by an herbalist friend that a scientist discovered the properties working in a lab. He had burned himself and the nearest container of liquid was the lavendar oil. After a liberal application, no more pain and very minimal scarring.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

hathor, it's good to see the lavendar oil comment. I feel validated after having more than one person look at me like I am insane when I suggest that. It may be an urban legend, but I was told by an herbalist friend that a scientist discovered the properties working in a lab. He had burned himself and the nearest container of liquid was the lavendar oil. After a liberal application, no more pain and very minimal scarring.

You are not crazy at all...well, maybe a little.. :biggrin: but lavender oil is a great, all purpose oil. This is an excerpt from Camden Grey's website.

"For soapmaking and toiletries we offer Lavender 40/42 (Lavandula officinalis, steam distilled flowering top, France). For skin care we offer Lavender Bulgaria (Lavandula angustifolia, steam distilled flowering top, Bulgaria), Lavender Organic (Lavandula angustifolia p. Miller, steam distilled flowering top, Provence/ France) and Lavender Fine/French grown at 600-800mts above sea level (Lavandula angustifolia, steam distilled flowering top, France). Lavender's aroma is floral, herbaceous, light with woody undertones. Among its many properties, it's known to be analgesic, antidepressant, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, bactericide, cicatrizant, decongestant, deodorant, diuretic, fungicide, sedative. Soothes the spirit, relieves anger, valuable in manic-depressive cases. Has a sedative action on the heart, assists in bringing down high blood pressure, relieves insomnia, relieves muscular spasms and rheumatic pains. The first essential oil one should reach for in the case of minor burns and sunburn. Useful with menstrual problems, bronchitis and headaches, helps lower blood pressure. Useful in a diffuser in the delivery room. May be useful in nausea, vomiting and colic. Keeps insects at bay. Purifies the air. Promotes growth of new skin cells, great healing effect on burns and sunburn, acne, psoriasis, boils, fungal growths, and scarring. Lavender is one of the safest essential oils to use with children and the elderly."

Well I finally made it through that whole thread and felt I needed to add a little. Been lurking for a few days, high time I posted.

I will never again: Make cookies with gluten flour. Not high gluten flour, gluten flour (you know, 80% gluten). I lived in a coop as a student. We kept our flour in 50 lb bags stored in plastic trash cans with labels on the lids. I decided to make cookies for 40 some people. Made up my trusty chocolate chip cookie recipe in bulk. Got lazy at the end, and decided bar cookies would be simpler. Put the entire batch into a big professional sized cookie sheet and put it in the oven. When it was done, you could pick it up by one end and dangle it in the air, swaying gently (or vigorously if you like). The crazy part was that I left it there, and it got eaten. Everybody stopped by, tried a bit, and decided that the chocolate was worth it I suppose.

Make Thai curry with strange curry paste. My first attempt, the recipe called for fish sauce. I was in the asian market, the only white person there and too embarrassed to ask for help. I figured fish paste was close enough. Brought it home, made the curry. Not only was it spicy, but that fish paste had sharp little bones in it. So the little wounds from the bones were inflamed by the spicy curry. I still don't know what that stuff was for, but I expect it involved straining before use.

Tim

Tim

“Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.”

Anthony Bourdain

hathor, thank you ever so much for the lavender oil info. i only wish you'd been available for comment yesterday morning!!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Okay, I haven't read through every page of this thread, but I bet this is a new one.

I will never again.... well, it's complicated.

Yesterday I grabbed a can of powdered infant formula off the shelf in order to mix up a bottle for my son, but as I reached into the can for the scoop, my hand was suddenly submerged in something gooey. So I looked down and saw that instead of the can of infant formula, I had mistakenly grabbed (and had now stuck my hand into) a nearly full can of solid crisco vegetable shortening.

I won't be doing that again.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

• 4 weeks later...

I will never again try to peel two pounds of carrots in a hurry with my flatmate's new Good Grips peeler. Hold the carrot between finger and thumb of left hand, wield peeler with right hand. Swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, AAAAAAAARGH - the razor-sharp blade has neatly removed almost half the thumbnail of my left hand. I can now see really quite a lot of soft pink nail bed.

This was last Sunday and it's still making me feel EXTREMELY peculiar.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I spent the better part of two working days reading all the posts. I forgot that I too have shaken in spices without a properly screwed on lid and drained noodles into the sink.

I vow in the future not to fall asleep after putting a ham in the oven. 2 hours after it should have been removed did I wake up to a wonderful smell of ham and was confused why. No worries though, it was dark then it should be but still edible.

I vow in the future to never my left my husband by parsley without first checking to make sure it's not cilantro.

I vow in the future to label all my jars, bread flour in a cookies and AP in bread -- not tasty. (never made the baking powder/soda mistake though)

I vow in the future to not debone a duck in mid-air. Or debone a semi-frozen piece of meat.

There I feel better now.