• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 2)

I will never again atempt to melt chocolate in the microwave, for 5mins on high. I was 16 at the time and trying to save time and washing up in a Home Economics class. Needless to say I got a right rollocking from the teacher for almost causing a fire and stinking out the whole lab.

I will never again (this makes its third entry in this delightful thread) lick the whipped cream off the power cord when it falls off the handmixer base into the bowl. I'm glad I'd bent my head down. that let gravity assist to stop the 'fun'.

:shock: Yeowch! :shock::raz:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'd like to say "Never again", but I know better........

I will PROBABLY never again play with my cats on the weekend then go to work on Monday and forget to put on gloves before juicing 30 lemons for the lemon curd.

OWWWW!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

If only I'd worn looser pants....

forget to put on gloves before juicing 30 lemons for the lemon curd.

OWWWW!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Sympathy Grimace!!! :sad: Just did that very thing, though gloveless is my usual state here at home. I just stood at the stove, squeezing the contents of the juiciest lemon in town into the almost-simmering pot of water for the two artichokes. OWWWW is right...Getting the last drops out of that beauty was akin to plunging my hands into Clorox...though I haven't been playing with the cat. Just Winter Gremlins, I suppose.

DD#2 will be here for Sunday Dinner, and she LOVES a good artichoke. (Just remembered I better lay out a pair of the latex before I start the Hollandaise). :unsure:

I'll never again put the magazine whose recipe I'm using on an 'off' ring, and then decide to switch rings … and turn on the ring under the magazine. It was nearly hot enough to burst into flames before I noticed.

gallery_22182_2693_65417.jpg

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I'll never again put the magazine whose recipe I'm using on an 'off' ring, and then decide to switch rings … and turn on the ring under the magazine. It was nearly hot enough to burst into flames before I noticed.

The art work in Gourmet has just taken a turn for the better! :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If that's not a MOST excellent avatar, I don't know what is!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had to do a double take on that because I was all like "WTF? Is that magazine MELTING?"

PS: I am a guy.

Hankering after a midnight sandwich, I will never again fry off the half dozen egg yokes found in the fridge after a boozy night out to discover that I'd been sautéing 6 peach halves. :wacko:

Edited by Mike Hunt (log)

Hankering after a midnight sandwich, I will never again fry off the half dozen egg yokes found in the fridge after a boozy night out to discover that I'd been sautéing 6 peach halves.  :wacko:

Yeah, but after you got over the surprise, didn't they taste good? :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The art work in Gourmet has just taken a turn for the better! :laugh:

I just knew that someone was going to say that! :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Hankering after a midnight sandwich, I will never again fry off the half dozen egg yokes found in the fridge after a boozy night out to discover that I'd been sautéing 6 peach halves.  :wacko:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did they spatter? What did you get them out of the container with? BURNING Question: did you EAT them??

ETA: thinking about this a while ago: By odds, some of the halves should have landed flatside up in the skillet...did you not notice that some of the "yolks" were lying there flaunting their undersides?

This is still funny the second time.

Edited by racheld (log)

Oh my, I've been giggling continuously at work all week reading this thread.

As an amateur baker and cake decorator, most of my lessons are cake-related:

-I will never again flip a cake out of a pan without having a secure grip on the pan and the cooling rack. I was baking the 5th of five 9" round layers to make a coffee-mug shaped cake for a departing coworker. It was now 1am: the cake was done, had cooled a bit in the pan, and I needed only to turn it out and cover it, and I could go to bed. I placed the cooling rack upside down on top of the pan. Gripped both and picked up to turn over... as I spin the rack and pan over, I watch in slow motion as the still-warm pan slips from my fingers, slides along the length of the cooling rack, and flings itself end-over-end across my table (something like a trebuchet-style catapault, actually) where it strikes the corner, bounces in the air and proceeds to hit a chair on the way to the floor. I can't see where it landed, so for a split second I think "Maybe it stayed in the pan!" Well, about half of it did... blink.gif Rebaked layer was done at 2am, got up at 5am to start icing it... finshed cake looked darn awesome, though...

-I will always wear my ove glove when testing cakes for doneness, because my knuckles don't need any more striped burn scars from the top heating element. Ow.

-macadamia nuts that taste kind of funny on their own will not become magically delicious when baked in cookies.

-I will never ignore the angel food cake recipe's instructions to place the pan on the lowest level oven rack. I will also not under-estimate the rising powers of said angel food cake batter. Because when you put it on a middle rack and it not only overflows onto the bottom of the oven and coats the racks but also rises up and sticks to the top of the oven, it's going to make a lot of frickin' smoke and is a real &$%# to clean up.

-don't allow your husband to store ziplock bags of powdered sugar near a bag of leftover garlic-rubbed crostini toasts, even if they're heavy-duty plastic. I didn't realized the sugar had picked up the garlic taste until I had made two double batches of buttercream -- the garlic was faint, but definitely discernable, and I had to toss and remake both batches with new supplies... that'll teach me to try and get stuff done early (Husband's defense: "But I made sure the bags were sealed! Yellow and blue makes green!" dry.gif )

-Using a combination of colored sugar and cinnamon as coating for snickerdoodles turns them into snicker-don'ts. Looked like sad, dirty sugar cookies. Ate the poor dears with our eyes closed and made a new batch for giving away.

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, I will never again . . . (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)