• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eye of Round - Looking For Suggestions

Porthos

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

@JoNorvelleWalkerYa, you're right. Lipstick on a pig? Just such affordable beef. We have eaten our fill of chicken, pork and pasta lately. 

If you are craving the taste of beef then eye of round is not the answer. Without fat very little of the beef flavour comes through. You might consider a small portion of a more expensive and tastier cut of beef. Speaking only for myself I find that a small portion of a very flavourful protein satisfies more than a larger portion of something like eye of round. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

If you are craving the taste of beef then eye of round is not the answer. Without fat very little of the beef flavour comes through. You might consider a small portion of a more expensive and tastier cut of beef. Speaking only for myself I find that a small portion of a very flavourful protein satisfies more than a larger portion of something like eye of round. 

You are absolutely right. I'll walk on by. 

47 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

actually, , , eye round works fairly well for minute-steak style sandwiches - wet cook method, and sliced very thin, au jus. 

mechanical slicer recommended, hand slicing that requires (a) really sharp long knife and (b) some practice....

Yes super quick hot pan + sauce. Or dropped into hot soup like pho. Very thin sliced. A standard in the Korean and Japanese markets here that I shop at. - sold frozen and best to slice from part frozen to get thin. Japanese with a teriyaki style sauce with plenty of the sauce over rice A or with the yaki-soba packets. sauce over rice..  Agreed to me the braising and stewing just gives ya some protein to chew on w/o major beef. Prompting the Wendy's classic commercials "where's the beef?!?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FZNYXKHwNw