• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calling all Port Enthusiasts

Akiko

As part of his Christmas present, my husband and I bought my father in law a bottle of Feurheerd's 1970 port... now, Chris and I know next to nothing about port but his father likes the occasional glass and our wine-guy insisted that this bottle was really something special.

So, we've properly had the thing standing for a few days and have decanted it being very careful not to let the sediment in... our question is, how long do we have to drink it, now that it is decanted?

HELP, or the three of us are going to endeavor to finish the whole bottle off tonight... along with copious amounts of champagne to toast the new year in! :wacko:

A week, tops, unless your decanter has a tight stopper or if you can pump the air out.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hmmm, with a Port that old, I'm not as sure. Do you have a wine saving device such as:

1) nitrogen gas cannister (sold at most wine shops, my favorite)

2) Vacuu-vin, which removes the air from the bottle (sold at most wine shops, Tommy's favorite)

3) a half -bottle with cork (fill the half bottle all the way and save for another day).

With either of those, several days. Even without, a couple of days could be fine. With a younger port, I'd be more sure, but when I've opened a port that old, it's never made it through the night.

beachfan

Drink it tonight or asap. A 1970 vintage port will not improve in the Decanter beyond a couple of hours and it will deteriorate after a couple of days.

I'm not familiar with the house but 1970 was a great year. Enjoy.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Enjoy it. I picked up a bottle of Graham's 1970 just before Christmas.

Now that's a bottle - looks like it's from the 18th C. No label, squat, green (like an anti-fashion toad) - just the stamp on the wax sealing the cork with a simple 'Graham 1970'.

I am finding it hard to think of anyone I want to share it with.

Wilma squawks no more

Thanks guys!

We had a few glasses last night, and will endeavor to finish the bottle this afternoon at lunch (oh, what a hardship). The port is excellent... Tony, you are very correct. If this bottle is a good example, 1970 was an amazing year.

And Gavin, our bottle is pitch black, and maybe the label faded but that is basically black too! You have to squint and hold it into the light to discern what it says. It's almost as if they put black typeface on a black background.

Hard to believe but when we visited San Francisco we ate in PLumpjack Cafe and found ourselves getting along famously with the staff. We were rather drunk by the end of the night and weren't in a position to really appreciate the genoristy they showed us when they left a bottle of Dow 1963 and a Graham's 1970 on our table and said "Help yourself, we'll be outside having a cigarette" :biggrin: Worst hangover ever the next day though, nearly had to miss the flight home!

Edit Disclosure: Gordon's 1970 :wub: - didn't realise Gin had vintages! Obviously drank too much over Christmas.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"