• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to keep marshmallows from freezing

Starkman

Hello all,

Say, I've searched Google and here for this answer, but I can't find one: how to keep marshmallows from freezing, or just getting to darned hard, when put into ice cream.

I like to add almonds and marshmallows to my chocolate ice cream, but the marshes get too hard. Why doesn't this happen in store-bought ice cream? Yeah, some use a marshmallow cream base, but some use real marshes.

Thanks much,

Starkman

Try using small chunks of marshmallow creme, or fluff, or whip...or whatever it's called in your locale. I know what you're talking about, and I think that a softer beginning product will also result in a softer final product.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Well, I'm using store-bought marshmallows, but I'd be willing to make my own if they will be soft as they are in store-bought ice cream.

Further, I really want a genuine marshmallow, not a fluff or cream. Somehow something is just lost in Rocky Road (or do-it-yourself-at-home, add-nuts-and-marshes!) when it ain't genuine marshes.

Starkman

Well, I didn't make the marshes myself; I just used store-bought. But I may have to resort to that, keeping in mind the need, perhaps, for more sugar than gelatin and adding...adding..hic-up...adding alc...alc...yeah! (burp!)

Thanks again,

Starkman