• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestion on rums to buy in Aruba

buck

Can anyone suggest some fine rums to buy in Aruba? I'd like to get some bottles that you can't get in the States. How many bottle can you take through customs? Any help would be appreciated. I drink rum neat.

Any French rum (Rhum Agricole) originating from Martinique and other parts of the eastern caribbean will be difficult or impossible to find in the US. All of these are artisinally produced in very small quantities and are wonderful, especially the aged ones.

I beleive 6 bottles per person is the limit, but I have come back with 2 or 3 cases no problem. More than anything else they are concerned with the value of the merchandise, which I beleive has been raised to $800 from $400 recently. We had this discussion a while back on my St. Maarten thread on this board, and a lot of the personal limits has to do with proof liters, which isnt an exact science. French rhum agricole especially is much lower proof than Rhum Industriel anyways, so figure a good 8 bottles a person easy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host