• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

storing my caviar???Molecular..

Base_nz

That might be tricky, depending on how long you're planning on keeping them. If you're thinking of just keeping the day's fresh batch on hand for drinks in the evening you might be OK; I don't think they'd perform very well if kept for more than a few hours.

You should probably start with reverse spherification so the spheres don't just keep setting until they're solid. Although I guess that may not matter, depending on what's in them and the effect you're going for. Presumably you're doing something like gin spheres to float in a G&T (sorry, first example that came to mind), so your best bet is probably to keep them in the liquid they're filled with.

It's an interesting problem and I'd recommend experimentation in small quantities first. Let us know how you get on.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Anyone experience loss in flavor when adding calcium lactate? I dont know what it is but i had a very strong marsala wine sauce reduction that tasted bland after making the caviar. I Also noticed this when making orange juice spheres for vodka screw drivers.

I am using the reverse method and am using them as I go but it would be really handy to have them stored so other less experience bar staff can use them if im not there... ive noticed molecule-r do a caviar in jars on there web sight you can buy so that's why im guessing its possible, ive ordered a couple of jars to see how they do it if I can. ive also emailed them but as of yet haven't gotten a reply....

I experiment with a few options and let you know if anything works well. biggest seller at the moment is a coffee infused vodka caviar suspended in a vanilla vodka and white creme de cacao shot... :)...

• Like 1