• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small Saucepan Size

Robenco15

I am definitely over analyzing it. When I prepare to spend over 200 dollars on a pan I tend to do a lot of research. I think what it is coming down to is the size and the matfer is either too small or too big and the Falk at 1.32 quarts seems to be just right. I'll take more opinions though!

Analyze the heck out of it! You've got to live with your decision a lot longer than we do <LOL>.

Hey, I do pretty much the same thing, and when I finally do make a decision, I'm much more likely to be happier and have a more suitable product than not. And everything I've taken careful time to decide upon, gives me pleasure every time I use it - every time!

Yeah I've always analyzed larger purchases. I discovered forums at an early age and have used them relentlessly before I buy anything significant.

I think the size of the Falk is perfect for what I want. The Matfer 1qt is apparently a 3/4 qt and that is too small. The next size up is a little over a quart and a half which is too big. The Falk at 1.37qts seems to be a great compromise.

So for those of you that have Falk pans, what is that stainless steel interior like? Easy to clean? I don't know why it is so different than all of the other types of stainless lined copper pan.

Does anyone have the stainless steel handles? I figure since they are the same price and the cast iron, and the cast iron will heat up much more than the stainless steel and apparently there is a danger of the cast iron rusting, why wouldn't I go with the stainless steel? Plus, the angle of the handle looks to be similar to the All Clad handles I have and like.

All cast iron will rust if you don't take care of it. It's cast iron.

I don't understand how the Falk stainless steel interior is so different?

I, too, like to check things out before I buy them. But as I said above, these are both high-quality products and neither will disappoint. If Falk is the size you want, then buy the Falk.

Then start worrying about how to keep it nice and shiny.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't understand how the Falk stainless stell interior is so different?

I, too, like to check things out before I buy them. But as I said above, these are both high-quality products and neither will disappoint. If Falk is the size you want, then buy the Falk.

I'm curious to hear how the stainless steel interior is different as I don't really know much about it besides it is brushed and different than the typical stainless steel interior of pans. Also whether it affects anything, good or bad.

I'm not really worried about keeping copper pans shiny. And the falk is brushed so that should be very easy to keep up.

I have two of the Copco "1 quart" saucepans that I use quite often. The pouring lips on either side are essential for me.

You can find them on ebay at a reasonable price. I have one yellow, one blue, both came with lids.

I also have a half-liter SS pan that is handy for use on the small "simmer" burner or on one of the copper plates I use over my gas burners so I can put more than one pan over a burner. (as shown in one photo)

I like the enamel cast iron because it heats evenly and HOLDS THE HEAT well, maintaining the temp I want without having to adjust the burner often. This one has seen a lot of action over the decades I have owned them.

It is not really a "full" quart because that brings the liquid level to within 1/2 inch of the rim. For my purposes, it functions perfectly for 3 cups, which is what most of my sauces produce at maximum, many are less.

I like the white interior because it allows me to gauge the progress of certain sauces where color change is critical. I use them especially for making browned butter.

The smaller SS pan is very useful for warming fruit sauces, condiments, etc., that do not do well heated in the microwave.

HPIM5519.JPG

HPIM5520.JPG

HPIM5522.JPG

Incidentally, I have written many times before about the usefulness of the copper burner plates that may seem a bit expensive but for me they extend the usefulness of my gas cooktop greatly because very small pots will tip if not set precisely over the heavy cast iron grates. I have two big plates that each cover two burners plus this one that covers one large burner and a small 6" square that covers the little simmer burner.

BellaCopper will also make one for your custom size. As one side of my cooktop has two large burners, I ordered one that is 11 x 18 to cover the entire grate.

I just checked and I bought the first one in 2007, the others in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"""Copco"""

does that bring back a lot of stuff.

I went down to my Basement, where Old Pots and Pans rest and brought up two LeCreuset sauce pans, in blue, # 12 and # 14.

i got them as a student, they were a stretch, at one of the original crate and barrels. one at a time .

I was on my way! I was a 'great chef' after all , the pans came from France ! every sauce, every slow cooked 'scrambled' egg w a ton of butter tasted so good.

ill clean then up and start using the again.

maybe a pic in a few days. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

thanks for the reminder !

these were for R handers.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

So can you use those large/longer copper diffusers as a warming station to keep things warm in their pan. Obviously the pans would have to be small enough but you could probably fit 3 or 4 pans on one large diffuser and keep them all warm. That is pretty cool.

• Like 1

So can you use those large/longer copper diffusers as a warming station to keep things warm in their pan. Obviously the pans would have to be small enough but you could probably fit 3 or 4 pans on one large diffuser and keep them all warm. That is pretty cool.

When I have one of the big diffusers over two burners, the heat is distributed evenly throughout the entire plate with some warmer spots right over the burners. At the rear I put an oval pan then smaller pans - I can fit 4 or 5 where 2 would ordinarily sit.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm curious to hear how the stainless steel interior is different as I don't really know much about it besides it is brushed and different than the typical stainless steel interior of pans. Also whether it affects anything, good or bad.

I'm not really worried about keeping copper pans shiny. And the falk is brushed so that should be very easy to keep up.

Why don't you buy both, see and feel how they differ and then send the one you like least back? Otherwise you can never be 100% sure based on what others say and you may never sleep at night again.

We are starting to head into another poster who shall remain unnamed territory here.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It's an idea. I'm probably going with Falk as that size is most ideal. Eventually will buy the smallest Matfer saucepan to have that really tiny option. Wouldn't mind hearing opinions of the falk ss interior though.

I don't think I've been around long enough to understand that reference to another poster. Not trying to piss anyone off.

That large diffuser plate is an ingenius idea though. Sounds like a solution to those long griddle burners I personally always felt were not the best use of space.

I've had my Falk saucier a few years, I am still quite pleased with it. I usually wash it with Dawn detergent but sometimes use Barkeeper's Friend. I've had no discoloration, pitting, or rusting. It is the only pot I have that I wash and dry right after use. The iron handle does get hot, but usually not too hot to hold. If so, I use a potholder.

The stainless steel interior looks to me like, umm, stainless steel.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thank you! Feeling good. Definitely can't afford to get both and return one later. Plus, who knows if I'd be able to return it haha! Falk it is. And I learned an thing with those copper diffusers so good thread!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)