• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning solutions?

Chea Kong

I'm an employee of a newly established restaurant and we have granite table tops which I find it to be the most difficult thing I've ever dealt with. I was told to wipe it down, use sanitizer and than use clorox brand disinfectant/bleach spray bottle for it. It leaves streak marks all over and than I was told to use sanitizer, windex with napkins instead of a cloth. Help! Prior to this we used another solution but the manager disliked it because it felt greasy. I'm all over the place with this. Is it really necessary to go over granite tops twice?

Edited by Chea Kong (log)

this link has instruction for a homemade granite cleaner (and best method to clean) which sounds like it would work better for you: http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Granite-Countertops.

I generally find that using the generic "clean white cloths" work better than napkins or paper towels.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few tips:

1. To sanitize, create your own 200 ppm bleach solution. Remove organic residue from your countertop, spray on your bleach solution and allow it to air dry. If this leaves streaks, try wiping around after you spray on your bleach solution but still air dry. If this still leaves streaks, after you've sprayed on your bleach solution, wait two minutes and use a rubber squeegee like dcarch recommended. If you don't have time for it to air dry or can't wait two minutes, use a 500 ppm bleach solution. BY USING YOUR OWN HOMEMADE SOLUTION FROM CLOROX BLEACH AND FOLLOWING THE TIMES ABOVE, YOU ARE ENSURING SANITATION AND NOT INTRODUCING CHEMICALS ASIDE FROM WATER AND A BIT OF BLEACH.

2. If you continue to use bleach and the windex, ensure the bleach solution isn't too concentrated and that it has dried completely before spraying windex. Bleach and Windex produce harmful gases when combined.

3. When making your own bleach solution, ensure you note that modern bleach is now typically 8%; your instructions may follow the old concentration of 5.25%. Also, ensure you make a new bleach solution daily, especially for your type of use.

Ryan Imgrund

Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert