• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dining room tables-a decoration

teagal

Do you treat your dining room table as a decoration? Some homes I'm in nowadays treat the dining room table as a decoration- with placemats, centerpieces, sometimes even silverware on it all the time. Then when its time to eat, all of this is removed, even the placemats, and everyone eats around a bare table. I always thought it was the other way around, and a cleared table was the norm. What do you do? Myself, I think its odd.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I wish I *had* a dining room and dining room table. Alas, in our house there is none. In the family's houses where there were dining tables, they definitely weren't set with place mat until getting ready for a meal. At holiday times it was more likely to be a tablecloth and centerpiece; those were on for the duration with the possible exception of removing the centerpiece to make room for a smaller one, or dishes of food, at meal-time.

Your description reminds me of the modern bedding sets complete with pillows in shams. The shams have to come off, or entirely different pillows are pulled out from some hidey-hole, at nighttime.

Form over function: extravagance for its own sake?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks for the head's-up on the kitchen table topic, Heidi. Went there and re-read the posts. (Obviously not a morning to accomplish much.)

We now have a dining room but not a real dining room table...DH is planning to build one...I hope we live that long. Our make-shift table is an old workshop table, will seat 10 easily...DH has big ideas :wink: ...and has 8 chairs around it (10 chairs second hand from St. V d P). Often has some current bumpf on it like food shopping flyers or suchlike, but basically has a table cloth (long piece of hemmed material) covered at one end with a piece of some coordinating material so that I don't have to wash that honking big piece of cloth every meal we do eat there. Centerpiece is Southwest terra cotta dancing dogs?/jackals?/bears?/? with large chunk of turquoise hanging around the neck of one of the critters, sitting on a terra-cotta tile. I love it.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.