• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Bitters (Part 2)

Chris Amirault

@tanstaafl2 Rather than the barrel-aged Peychaud's I was very tempted to get the Bitter Truth creole bitters which are supposed to have a slightly different flavor profile. They are used by Death & Co in their "house Peychaud's " (2 parts Peychaud's to 1 part creole.)

• Like 1

Question. While researching the Creole bitters by The Bitter Truth I came across the Creole bitters by Berg & Hauck. Berg & Hauck are the two German bartenders who are behind the brand The Bitter Truth. So are these the same thing in a different packaging? I am asking because I was considering buying this little sample pack which has the Creole and also celery and lemon that are missing in my collection (plus it's only $19...). There is also the sampler pack by The Bitter Truth, but it's currently $27 plus shipping, and the selection isn't as interesting (at least not for me, based on my existing bitters collection).

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)

Yes, I have contemplated getting the Creole bitters as well but have not done so yet.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

4 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Question. While researching the Creole bitters by Bitter Truth I came across the Creole bitters by Berg & Hauck. Berg & Hauck are the two German bartenders who are behind the brand The Bitter Truth. So are these the same thing in a different packaging? I am asking because I was considering buying this little sample pack which has the Creole and also celery and lemon that are missing in my collection (plus it's only $19...). There is also the sampler pack by The Bitter Truth, but it's currently $27 plus shipping, and the selection isn't as interesting (at least not for me, based on my existing bitters collection).

Apparently just a technicality from what this says.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 6 months later...
31 minutes ago, Craig E said:

Any opinion on them?

I ask because I saw some on clearance at a local liquor store.

They were fine!  The fennel (actually conceived by two bartenders that I used to know) is a bit too close to the celery I have, but the lavender could be fun to play with. They also had a Chinese bitters that looked intriguing.

I'd grab them if they are on sale! :) 

• Like 1

Yep, unusual and worth getting.  Some have even managed to get this far from home (which is LA, I think).  I bought a bottle of their Chinese after the Hawthorn Lounge made me a rather nice drink with it in.

And now you're going to ask me what the drink was, aren't you ... ?

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Any bitters lovers visiting Portland, ME should try Vena's Fizz House. I asked mad scientist Steve to make me "something with amaro, no vodka, no beer". Out came Gunpowder Rye, Campari, Basil shrub, some other stuff, some bitters, shake-and-dump, drizzle of Montenegro. Delicious. We also had two fizzes. The Lumberjack Love was particularly successful. Huge selection of bitters on hand.

Great place for something refreshing during the day (bring the kids), and still lots of interesting alcoholic options. There is an interesting shop there too.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community