• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Bitters (Part 2)

Chris Amirault

No Angostura at Proof in DC. Who's out where?

[Moderator note: The original All About Bitters topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: All About Bitters (Part 1)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Even the PLCB Wine & Spirit Shops were out for a little while, but a quick look at the website indicates that they're back in stock throughout the Commonwealth. To the collective relief of cocktail imbibers everwhere...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

To the collective relief of cocktail imbibers everwhere...

Although it was a good thing in my opinion as it increased bartender creativity and created interest in new products from both bartenders and enthusiasts alike in bars/places that only typically had one or two bitters on offer.

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've come into possession of a good few bottles but it seems that there's still a number of areas without bottlings?!? :unsure:

Last week's Splendid Table featured a piece by Lily Jamali that implied that Angostura supplies will continue to be spotty for quite some time. The factory has been taken over by the government and seems to be in disarray. The clip is worth listening to: Julie Reiner and Dave Wondrich (aka Splificator) make appearances.

Audio here: click (go to 22:41).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've come into possession of a good few bottles but it seems that there's still a number of areas without bottlings?!? :unsure:

Last week's Splendid Table featured a piece by Lily Jamali that implied that Angostura supplies will continue to be spotty for quite some time. The factory has been taken over by the government and seems to be in disarray. The clip is worth listening to: Julie Reiner and Dave Wondrich (aka Splificator) make appearances.

Audio here: click (go to 22:41).

Chicago was out of stock for a couple months, but in the last 2 weeks every store I've visited has come back in stock. Even during the 'drought', large format bottles were available if you knew where to look. As mentioned in the clip, I heard the shortage was due to an issue with the bottle supplier. Perhaps apocryphal, but I was also told that Angostura switched to a new bottle as a result of the issue, and the new container required re-certification by the TTB.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

In Portland last week I found ample stock at Uptown Liquor and Pearl Specialty. Uptown even had the big bottles for $9.95. It appears there might be a new importer (Chicago-based) which may explain further delays.

The government takeover of Angostura shouldn't concern us too much: the country has a relatively strong sovereign credit rating and this business generates hard currency. Perhaps more interesting will be the eventual privatization...

No problem currently getting either large or small bottles here in Boston, and local shop owner has said that he's been selling a ton and has placed reorders a couple of times now without a problem. Hopefully the supply will be steady from here on out (I stocked up just in case).

• 3 months later...

I ran out of Fee Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters (2009), and (sniff) couldn't find it locally at The Boston Shaker or the liquor store in Porter Sq, Somerville, MA (which has an excellent bitters selection). I just got my shipment and, I must say, the 2010 version is pretty darn wimpy in the bitter dimension. I'm surprised, because I would think something like bitterness would be well controlled, but other cask-related flavors might be variable. I really liked the 2009 bitters because they imparted noticeable bitterness without having an overpowering spice flavor.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I ordered from KegWorks.com. It came quickly and well-packed, although my preference is to support my local retailers, especially for more esoteric ingredients.

I also got Fee's Rhubarb. Having learned that Aperol has Rhubarb in it got me thinking....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 2 weeks later...
Adam at Boston Shaker seems to have restocked some Scrappy's, so I grabbed their celery bitters, which I like a lot and we have at the bar, and grapefruit, which I haven't tried. Ran out of my Bittermens grapefruit....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Two of my favorite uses are the Warning Label from the Rogue Cocktails book and this one I posted in the Drinks! thread:

2 oz Saint James Ambre

1 tsp maraschino

1 tsp demerara

2 dashes Peychaud's

2 dashes Bittermen's grapefruit bitters

twist of lime

I like grapefruit bitters with rum - a dash to rectify a Hemingway daiquiri works well. Or with gin in citrus forward drinks works too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a bastardized grapefruit collins with some homemade grapefruit bitters on a few occasions.

2.5 oz gin

.25 oz lemon juice

splash simple syrup

few dashes grapefruit bitters

Shake and served up.

Not quite a collins without the soda water. Clean gin flavor, with a nice bitter citrus finish.

Add a little St. Germain for some sweetness and depth of flavor.

Edit: missed KatieLoeb's post before I sent mine. Oops :)

Edited by Ricky (log)

Striving for cocktailian excellence and always learning.

Congrats to Janet and Avery Glasser (the latter BittermensAG here on eG Forums) for the long-awaited status as a legal producer and seller of “non-potable” elixirs, after years of frustration and a transitional link with the Bitter Truth gang. I sat at Eastern Standard with them a while ago as they spun their tale of woe, and it's truly a joy to know that they've overcome this hurdle.

Read more here. Buy 'em here. Disclosure: save for loving my new bottle of Xocolatl Mole bitters (thanks to Adam at The Boston Shaker), I've no horse, financial or otherwise, in this race.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Congrats to Janet and Avery Glasser (the latter BittermensAG here on eG Forums) for the long-awaited status as a legal producer and seller of “non-potable” elixirs, after years of frustration and a transitional link with the Bitter Truth gang.

Think you may have misread what is on the website as they had non-potable status back in 2008, the transition was when they began working with The Bitter Truth who have their whole line listed as potable. Now they are producing themselves again they are back as a non-potable bitter.

Having dealt with the TTB previously, as well as at this exact moment in time as I seek non-potable approval for my Spanish Bitters, I totally understand the frustration (and anger) that Avery and Janet have been through. They were also a great help to me when looking for clarity on the laws in the US (which as they mention on their website are unlike anywhere else in the World) so that sales of my bitters in the US were legal and above board. Something which other bitters producers should really pay heed to...

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Thanks Adam for the clarification. I didn't write that sentence very clearly; I think that the event is that Janet and Avery are finally out from under the transitional reln with the BT folks and have their own line.

It's no surprise to me that they helped you when you were trying to figure out the US laws. They -- and frankly all of the bitters people I've met or corresponded with -- seem like a remarkably unbitter group of people given the absurdities you face.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory