• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 6)

Franci

Here's a Japanese-inspired dinner. To make the pork, a cooking liquid was made by bringing sake, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce (2:2:1:1 ratio) to a simmer. Then some garlic, ginger, and scallions were added. This liquid was used to cook the pork sous vide (40 hours @ 144 F for the belly, 4 hours @ 140 F for the sirloin). Following that, the cooking liquid was reduced with some dry caramelized sugar and rice wine vinegar to make the tare sauce. The tare sauce was pure liquid gold.

Chashu pork belly / sirloin

Tare sauce

Cabbage-miso puree

Cabbage kinpira

Quick-cured cucumber and radish

tumblr_mylq2ioCG61rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 9

post-6903-0-14470600-1388455549.jpg

What happens when you fail to plan! Thrown together from what was on hand. Store-bought chicken broth fortified with some shiro miso, leftover roasted kabocha squash, frozen beef and pork balls, wontons, shredded romaine and some egg noodles. Surprisingly tasty.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No photo, but carbonnades a la flamande for 12 at a friend's house. In a departure from tradition, served over cream cheese grits as opposed to egg noodles.

I would note that Green Flash Double Stout makes the best carbonnades a la flamande EVAH.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Prawncrackers, to echo basquecook: ridiculous. That does indeed look like the beef of dreams. What on earth is a dexter?

A Dexter is a breed of cow here in the UK described in this link http://www.thebutcheryltd.com/beef.html

They produce fabulous meat, some of the best that you can buy here. I was really lucky to pick this up as my butcher only had one Dexter carcass all year before this one.

• Like 2

We got a great 50# sack of oysters from Capano Bay, Texas. A little on the small side but very salty. So far we had them raw, rockefeller and char grilled.

P1020455(1).JPG

P1020461(1).JPG

P1020458(1).JPG

And Chocolate Espresso Torte from Jody Adams cookbook.

P1020466(1).JPG

And a picture of Christmas Cornetti

P1020435(1).JPG

• Like 5

New Year's Eve:

Top Sirloin Cap (pan-seared, oven-finished); Rice (toasted cumin seeds, oil, smashed garlic, (green) cardamom pods, dried basil, sea salt, Basmati rice, water); Romaine lettuce (oiled-water-blanched; oyster sauce, black pepper).

DSCN0260a_1k.jpg

DSCN0262a_1k.jpg

-----------------------------

New Year's Day:

Yee Sang (魚生). Raw salmon & raw tuna (both sushi grade), daikon, carrot, cucumber, deep fried taro yam (dyed red & green), pink pomelo, pickled rakkyo, pickled ginger, toasted sesame seeds, white pepper, five-spice powder, deep-fried wonton skin strips, fresh lime juice, coriander leaves (no stems), scallions; all tossed together with sauce (plum sauce, sesame oil, fresh lime juice). I forgot to put in the customary crushed peanuts (which I had prepared).

Pic before tossing:

DSCN0266a_1k.jpg

See here for a pic of a similar previous assembly of this dish after tossing: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143989-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2012/page-6#entry1909399

See here for some comments about the dish: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/137686-salad/page-6#entry1910133

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

Im not that much of a 'Ham Fan' but your plate above might change my mind ! excellent veg and (?) potato too !

how did you smoke it ?

Thanks! The ham was smoked on our Weber Smokey Mountain with apple and pecan wood for about 7 hours. The smoker was kept at about 180 degrees for the first couple hours, then up to 215 for the next four hours and finished at 240 degrees the last hour, until the meat reached an internal temperature of 155 degrees.

• Like 1

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

huiray, I have been asked to make a yee sang for Chinese New Year this year. How do you dye your taro yams after deep frying?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

huiray, I have been asked to make a yee sang for Chinese New Year this year. How do you dye your taro yams after deep frying?

Keith_W, I dye the julienned taro before deep frying. Whatever food coloring dyes you have will do. The taro is shredded/julienned (I use an Oxo mandoline) (this one) without washing (i.e. kept fairly dry) then the dyed strips (tossed by hand after applying the dye to distribute the dye) are left to air-dry further (an hour or two) before deep-frying. No, the color does not bleed - it actually intensifies on deep-frying.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Kept it simple tonight. Pork tenderloin bagged with a couple of sage leaves and a few juniper berries cooked at 60C for a touch over a hour. Seared with my new propane torch. Served with roast kipflers and coleslaw. I didn't even bother making mayonnaise and etc. I just used Duke's.

DSC_0017_zps15fdcaaa.jpg

• Like 7

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Hunkered down from snow storm "Hercules" and made a batch of non-traditional chili. Leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, small white beans, posole, and a little diced sweet potato. Didn't have any chiles in adobo, so used smoked paprika.

Chili.jpg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

My crispiest attempt at fish'n'chips to date! The batter stayed crispy and not too greasy. The chips were delicious, dipped in curry gravy- memories of Whitby, England. :wub:

Crispiest Fish 'n' Chips0238.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com