• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 6)

Franci

I realize the endless procession of bean dishes must seem a little monotonous...

Not yet - keep trying! :smile:

Ann_T - now I have a major hankering for bagels and lox

Vietnamese tonight

Chicken stir-fried with lemongrass and chile – with red bell pepper, minced shallot, curry powder, sugar, and fish sauce, cooked down in coconut milk and finished with cilantro. Served over jasmine rice

Cabbage and egg stir-fry – simple and satisfying, with garlic, salt, and black pepper.

p1007358980-4.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, Ann very pretty.. that chicken dinner looks perfect for winter.

Got home from a trip around 6 o clock tonight. Picked up three cornish hens and deboned them up to the drumstick. Grilled and then baked at 425. Baked potatoes with sour cream. We also had a small bag of vegetables left over from a crudite. boiled for a little bit, tossed in lemon and olive oil fried chile flakes and chopped parsley while warm.

11332605795_d2a662aa94_z.jpg

Cooking time is 50 minutes for the potatoes and some prep time during the last 10 minutes.

11332675006_c8f27a2995_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 6

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Hi,

So much nice to look at here, I am impressed. Yesterday I prepared a quick dinner for today. Some regular store bought mushrooms and some hand picked winter chanterelles turned into a lovely soup. The winter chanterelles were dried earlier this year, re-hydrated and added to the soup together with the "stock". I also infused some olive oil with thyme, garlic and chilli and sprinkled over.

I love to eat toast with gorgonzola or roquefort with mushroom soup.

IMG_20131212_191833.jpg

• Like 6

Hi,

So much nice to look at here, I am impressed. Yesterday I prepared a quick dinner for today. Some regular store bought mushrooms and some hand picked winter chanterelles turned into a lovely soup. The winter chanterelles were dried earlier this year, re-hydrated and added to the soup together with the "stock". I also infused some olive oil with thyme, garlic and chilli and sprinkled over.

I love to eat toast with gorgonzola or roquefort with mushroom soup.

IMG_20131212_191833.jpg

Love mushroom soup!!! Looks so good.....I could almost taste it!

• Like 2

Donna

Excuse the terrible iOS photos, as I left my DSLR at my London flat, but I went home to my parents and cooked for a friend last night.

I'm particularly proud of the scallops as I've never done them before.

These were British hand dived scallops, with avocado purée, raw and pickled apple and radish.

post-71345-0-13193600-1386941370.jpg

Next was duck breast (butchered by me. Very proud too) at 135f for three hours, then pan finished with crushed potatoes, horseradish creme fraiche, seared chicory, shiitake and enoki mushrooms and plum and tangerine jus.

post-71345-0-34198100-1386941691.jpg

Edited by heidih
Flip images (log)
  • Like 6

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Basquecook, What a great looking dinner. I noticed yesterday, not that far from our home, a farm selling cornish game hens. I need to check them out.

Dutch Oven Chicken, Mashed Potatoes and Peas with Gravy. It's that time of year!

Roast Chicken - This is my favourite dinner. Looks perfect.

~Ann

The crab cakes from John Currence's Pickles, Pigs and Whisky.

DSC_0004_zps10a002b7.jpg

A male mud crab. Mud crabs are among the best of the locally available crustaceans. Purchased live, of course. The guy that tied the claws didn't do a very good job: most of the crabs in the crate were happily snapping away at the lady in charge of the crustacean station. Luckily she had some blue rubber gloves to protect her fingers from a few hundred pounds of pressure.

DSC_0016_zps97bb7cc6.jpg

This one kilo crab produced about 250 grams of meat.

DSC_0026_zps9e41cbd3.jpg

The finished crab cakes. They were very good.

DSC_0021_zps895106d1.jpg

And, for tomorrow, Thomas Keller's recipe for pork trotters.

• Like 5

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

A few recent dinners.

---------------------------

• Spaghetti [Garofalo] w/ tomato sauce (fresh tomatoes, butter, salt) & grated parmesan.

DSCN0101a_1k.jpg

• Clams w/ linguine [De Cecco]; w/ (parsley, chilli flakes, garlic, sauvignon blanc (Chilean), sea salt, etc)

• Apricot preserves crostata [Piccoli Dolci]

DSCN0110a_1k.jpg

DSCN0112a_1k.jpg

• Beef, veal & celery meatballs; w/ various other seasonings - in beef & sautéed garlic stock; w/ chopped curly kale & banh pho noodles.

DSCN0129a_1k.jpg

• Beef slices stir-fried w/ trimmed Thai basil, chopped hot long green chillies, garlic, sea salt.

• Sliced large button mushrooms, trimmed fresh maitake mushrooms, sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms sautéed w/ julienned ginger & sea salt, dressed w/ chopped scallions.

• White rice.

DSCN0140a_1k.jpg

• Like 7

image.jpg

Pan-fried trout fillets with chopped spinach.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Huiray – wonderful meals of diverse menus.

Ann_t – your short ribs definitely are not short of flavor.

ChrisTaylor – Nothing like crab cake made with fresh crab meat.

Sapidus – very beautiful picture!

Patrickamory – No, your bean dishes are never boring.

Baselerd – Beautiful plating, as usual.

Basquecook – Wow, those Cornish hens sure look great.

robirdstx – You are like me. I enjoy both dark meat and white meat.

Adam George – Very artistic scallops.

Dejah – Love that Thai Curry Seafood stew:.

Franci – gorgeous confit duck legs.

Anna N - Pickled herring, roast beef on pumpernickel , I got to try that combination sometime. Sounds yummy.

Steve lrby – Those are perfect roasted chickens.

------ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few recent meals

dcarch

Sous vided chicken, farro

Chickenfarro_zps9be44bab.jpg

chickenfaRRO2_zpsc2834c25.jpg

Pulled pork, black bean sauce

Pulledporkblackbeansauce_zpscdd41507.jpg

Pulledporkblackbeansauce2_zps8dff5261.jp

Calamondin orange pork on purple asparagus

Purpleasparaguspork2_zpscb248ef4.jpg

Purpleasparaguspork_zps2100cad1.jpg

• Like 7

darch,

Are they broccoli stems with the chicken? If so, how were they cooked? I love broccoli stems!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner last night with eG's Patris at "My Tomato Pie" in Amherst, NY.

DSCN2403.jpg

We both enjoyed a bowl of the Tomato Basil soup which is one of their specialities.

DSCN2404.jpg

Chopped salad.

DSCN2405.jpg

PIzza bread.

• Like 5

Grazing tonight for dinner - visiting eG's Patris for the weekend in Tonawanda.

DSCN2411.jpg

Duck rillettes, shrimp.

DSCN2412.jpg

Artichoke/cheese dip with a lovely multigrain bagette and Ak Mak crackers.

DSCN2415.jpg

A few nice cheeses - cheddar, a nice runny brie, double cream gouda and the last I can't recall.

DSCN2416.jpg

Olives, smokey almonds, TJ's blistered peanuts and TJ's freeze dried green beans.

Still sitting here sipping my negroni and enjoying the olives and peanuts.

• Like 5

Anna N, indeed those are broccoli stems.

I pan fried them in oyster sauce and some beet juice.

I am puzzled why people often discard broccoli stems. They are so delicious. I guess they are the same people who throw away beet greens.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I know in GB they make 'mushy peas' ive never had these and don't quite know what they are ...

canned peas are 'Revolutionary Mushy Peas'

must have gravy with them .....

Mushy peas are a traditional accompaniment to fish and chips, it's basically what it sounds like, mashed up peas with some butter, salt, pepper and mint. Think of it like a very coarse pea puree.

• Like 1

I know in GB they make 'mushy peas' ive never had these and don't quite know what they are ...

canned peas are 'Revolutionary Mushy Peas'

must have gravy with them .....

Mushy peas are a traditional accompaniment to fish and chips, it's basically what it sounds like, mashed up peas with some butter, salt, pepper and mint. Think of it like a very coarse pea puree.

The pea puree is made from dried and rehydrated marrowfat peas.

I decided to save the trotters for tomorrow. Tonight it was barbecue chicken: bone-in thighs hit with a dry rub, smoked as low as my gas-powered smoker will go for about 90 minutes, brushed with sauce (I used Rufus Teague) and then returned to the smoker, albeit at higher temperature.

DSC_0003_zps5f81a2bc.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Dinner last night ( re 10 degree Dinner ) :

10d dinner.jpg

BBQ/Weber Chicken w BBQ Squash / White BBQ baked potato home made gravy.

leftovers:

Left Ck.jpg

'pulled Chicken' from the two BBQ's best done while the Ck is still warm

left Sqaush.jpg

Leftover Squash etc

Left Skin.jpg

The Skin, for me later. usually there is none left.

Left Cat.jpg

bones for Earthquake, The Cat. you see him on the upper L

here is the Prep Section:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146518-its-10-degrees-its-snowing-whats-on-your-weber-egg/

please see " its 10 degrees and snowing, What's for Dinner ? "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5