• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 6)

Franci

[Moderator note: The preceding section of this discussion (find it here: (Dinner! 2013 Part 5)) reached the 20-page mark, which is the point at which a topic becomes too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it again.]

Tonight I pulled from the freezer 2 SV duck legs confit. Although the skin was beautiful these were nothing compared to the label rouge legs I used to buy in France. 4 for 16 euros, cannot do it here...
These legs were salted 24 hrs and cooked at 75 c for 10 hrs. They don't have the pulled apart texture of confit.

image.jpg

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)
  • Like 8

post-6903-0-72620400-1386436950.jpg

Pickled herring, roast beef on pumpernickel washed down with ice cold akvavit.

Edited by heidih
Rotate image (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci do you think adding time or temp would give the pull apart texture or is it the technique or product that is too different to yield that pull apart texture?

The previous time I did 80 C for 12 hours, but didn't really salted enough and for enough time. Any suggestion?

Franci do you think adding time or temp would give the pull apart texture or is it the technique or product that is too different to yield that pull apart texture?

The previous time I did 80 C for 12 hours, but didn't really salted enough and for enough time. Any suggestion?

Why not try the Modernist Cuisine times and temps? Cure for 10 hours, rinse and dry then sous vide at 82C for 8 hours. Worked for me.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It's been temps around -20C, windchill plus -30 these last few days. Today was -30C with windchill -40C. Definitely NOT Big Easy days.

Some recent meals:

Thai Curry Seafood stew:

Thai Seafood Curry Plated 1968.jpg

Last night was our daughter's birthday dinner. She requested Chexican fajitas. I made Spanish rice, loads of guac., chicken fajita, and roasted prime rib for the wraps. She was happy.

Chicken Fajita1972.jpg

Roast Beef Fajita1973.jpg

Tonight, it was s-i-l's pork ribs with his "never-the-same-twice" rub and fresh pineapple based sauce. Definitely finger-licking good!

Ryan's Ribs2012.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Maybe you are bored of seeing my usual grilled sardines...because that's what we had for dinner.

image.jpg

But beside that I also experimented a bit this idea

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145700-making-ravioli-without-making-dough/

Really nice. I made the mistake of not shaking some of the flour from the "gnudi", so I got some patches of uncooked flour but definitely a keeper. I have more, so I'll try again tomorrow.

image.jpg

After two days in durum flour

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Looks great Franci....I love grilled sardines!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Pretty meal Franci.. Where do you get your sardines?

Away from home again. But, before i went, we had a chance to have a little fried chicken off in our house. Miss A did a twice fry with batter while, i did a traditional buttermilk soak and then dip in flour. I like to fry my chicken at a super low temp.

11263125026_5cb0297d81_z.jpg

This was miss A's chicken.. mine is missing from the shot..

11263121096_439cde865f_z.jpg

One thing i got from all of this.. We deep fried Oreida Crinkle Cut sweet potato fries.. I hate sweet potato fries but, these were actually really good. In fact, i may say they were the best sweet potato fries I have ever had. The first time I think I have ever purchased frozen french fries before. I served with curry ketchup

11263119196_87b539bf5b_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Supper tonight was a little bit of this and that. Roast chicken using Judy Rodgers recipe.

P1020331(1).JPG

And a few dishes based on produce from our local farmers market. White sweet potatoes with satsuma and bourbon honey glaze, turnips and greens with guanciale, and baked cauliflower leaves and stems with pickled pork.

P1020333(1).JPG

• Like 6

@steveirby. That is a nice spread, and a nice selection of dishes! I can almost taste it!

Can you provide a little more info on your cauliflower leaf and stem dish? I have several plants (cauliflower and broccoli) that I should probably harvest tomorrow morning before the snow and ice, and a couple of 2.5lb birds ready for the BGE assuming the weather is not too nasty.

@steveirby. That is a nice spread, and a nice selection of dishes! I can almost taste it!

Can you provide a little more info on your cauliflower leaf and stem dish? I have several plants (cauliflower and broccoli) that I should probably harvest tomorrow morning before the snow and ice, and a couple of 2.5lb birds ready for the BGE assuming the weather is not too nasty.

Thanks, this is the first time I cooked the leaves and stems and the dish turned out to be really tasty. I got a giant cauliflower (6#) at the farmers market with the leaves attached. I cut the leaves from the stems and sliced the leaves thinly. I chopped the stems in the food processor with lots of fresh baby vidalia onions and garlic. I sauteed the stem mix in bacon fat till they started to soften then added the julienned leaves and cooked the mixture until they sweated down. I had some pickled pork in the freezer that I cubed, browned and added to the greens. All the ingredients were combined, with addition of chicken stock, and baked in a casserole dish for about an hour.

• Like 1

image.jpg

I am becoming a huge fan of chicken confit a la Modernist Cuisine. Here it is on some sauteed zucchini with sun-dried tomatoes.

image.jpg

And shredded for Franci.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

A treat the first week of December every year (depending on conditions and limits), fresh Dungeness Crab. Steamed, chilled, cracked served with melted butter and fresh lemon.

007.JPG

• Like 7

$12.00 per pound. Some supermarkets in the Northwest sell crab this time of year for as low as $3.99 per pound, but sometimes it's crab that's a few weeks old. My fishmonger only sells deep-water crabs that have a harder shell and larger body and he gets them in fresh daily within a day of harvest. Last year's commercial season was terrible, but we think this season is looking pretty good.

• Like 1