• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vollrath Intrigue 2 or 3 qt. Saucier Pan

Porthos

Does anyone here have any experience with the Vollrath Intrigue 2 qt. or 3 qt Saucier Pans? I will get a modest check as part of my Christmas and I've been thinking about getting one.

I made my first white sauce 44 years ago in a simple S/S skillet using just a spoon. at this point in life I have a nice selection of everyday saucepans now and have used some of them for decades for my sauce-making. The main draw for me for having true saucier is the true large-radius side-to-bottom transition that allows for keeping the whisk moving and in better contact with the pan to keep the sauce as smooth and even as possible. It definitely takes more work to do that with my existing pans.

Given that background would a Vollrath piece seem to be a reasonable addition to my kitchen?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 3 years later...

From the site it looks like a disk-bottom pan, which isn't my first choice for sauces. If this is the one you mean, then there's a 1/4" aluminum disk in the bottom which has a lot of thermal mass, so the pan will be slow to respond to temperature changes.

Heavy disks are good for evenness (which is adequate with thinner, clad pans) and for heat retention (which is not helpful in saucemaking). 

I'd be inclined to look for a similar shape in a thinner clad pan, like allclad or any of the less expensive equivalents. Avoid the ones that are more expensive because they're extra thick or have bizarre numbers of layers.

Notes from the underbelly

FWIW,

I have a 2 quart Calphalon saucier with a disk bottom — similar to the Vollrath — and a Sur La Table tri-ply saucier.

I recommend the Sur La Table or the like.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, asthasr said:

However, the Vollrath is much more expensive than the Sur La Table edition. Any idea why?

It's either on sale or clearance.

The price is lower than it used to be.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, asthasr said:

@DiggingDogFarm Ahhh, good point. I was actually looking at the Tribute, which is tri-ply, not the Intrigue. However, the Vollrath is much more expensive than the Sur La Table edition. Any idea why?

The vollrath tribute stuff is made in the USA.  sur la table's pans are Chinese.

1 hour ago, dscheidt said:

The vollrath tribute stuff is made in the USA.

Actually, the last Tribute pot I bought online, a 4.5 qt sauce pan, was manufactured in China.

After receiving the pot, I called the vendor, and then I called Vollrath.  They both confirmed that most of the production was shifted offshore.  At least my frypans were made in the U.S.

My advice is to check out your local brick-and-mortars for any old U.S. stock...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Most things are made in China. It's hard to get much of anything anymore if you insist on Made in the U.S.A. :(

That said, I'm probably going to go with the clad Vollrath because I like the continuous curve of its bottom.

Edited by asthasr (log)
  • Like 1