• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What materials are safe to include IN vacuum bags?

Marius

Im looking for a flat and hard surface to include in the bag when making duck breast etc so that when I apply vacuum the fatty skin side turns perfectly flat. And of course, in turn, makes the perfect contact surface for pan searing that skin.

The most easily accessible material for me would be a smaller PE-plastics cutting board, as theyre available everywhere.

However I cant find any info on wether this is safe, regarding the temperatures applied in SV.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Edited by Marius (log)

I'd be slightly concerned about even heat transfer, if one side touches the water and on the other side the heat first has to go through a cutting board. I'd probably get a small piece of acrylic (thin) or HDPE or what it's called cut at TapPlastics. Or a piece of tempered glass. Or cut the floor out of a plastic storage container, they're food safe and should hold up to SV easily.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Thin Stainless steel. Thinner the better and easier to cut. You might want to smooth the edges and round the corners so it doesnt puncture the vacuum bag. i suppose you could also use those cedar planks they use for grilling salmon. Bambo and other woods aswell should be food safe. You want heat to penetrate so thinner the better.

Or you might want to take a different tack. Press them flat AFTER

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/michael-voltaggio-chicken.html

By the way these chicken thighs are delicious.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use the bottom of a springform pan...4", 5", 6", whatever size is needed....I seal it right in the bag....it works great.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

are you talking about a vacuum system or a chamber vacuum system?

if its just a plain vanilla vacuum system, it can't take an oblong chunk and make it flat.

perhaps if you pound the breast a bit before the bag you might get something flatter.

then again, I think you are barking up the wrong tree:

why do you want it so flat? why not then move the oblong breast a bit in the pan?

after the fact?

Edited by rotuts (log)

if its just a plain vanilla vacuum system, it can't take an oblong chunk and make it flat.

perhaps if you pound the breast a bit before the bag you might get something flatter.

why do you want it so flat? why not then move the oblong breast a bit in the pan?

after the fact?

I think he/she wants the side of the breast with the skin to lay flat while cooking. I dont know if it will stay flat once cooked but my post above should do what was asked.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'd be slightly concerned about even heat transfer, if one side touches the water and on the other side the heat first has to go through a cutting board. I'd probably get a small piece of acrylic (thin) or HDPE or what it's called cut at TapPlastics. Or a piece of tempered glass. Or cut the floor out of a plastic storage container, they're food safe and should hold up to SV easily.

Heat transfer might be an issue, but I think that on longer cooks using a relatively thin plate it wont make a lot of difference.

HDPE is High Density PE, but how do I recognize that its HD, I only seem to find ones labeled just PE... Think that will do the trick without killing me in the long term? :-P

Food containers seem to soften to easily (when I cook IN them at least)

Thin Stainless steel. Thinner the better and easier to cut. You might want to smooth the edges and round the corners so it doesnt puncture the vacuum bag. i suppose you could also use those cedar planks they use for grilling salmon. Bambo and other woods aswell should be food safe. You want heat to penetrate so thinner the better.

Wont that make it taste metallic?

after the fact?

I think he/she wants the side of the breast with the skin to lay flat while cooking. I dont know if it will stay flat once cooked but my post above should do what was asked.

Just to improve the process, make the searing part easier. Also I like to keep the period of time in the pan as short as possible to avoid overcooking.

I use the bottom of a springform pan...4", 5", 6", whatever size is needed....I seal it right in the bag....it works great.

THIS! Thats what Im looking to do, only using something a bit bigger and square, as to fit an entire duck breast on it

another method of attack...

1. roast the duck (pieces) in a very hot oven so as to brown.. not trying to cook it, we just want the colour

2. vacuum seal the portions, with a little of the duck fat obtained from the roasting pocess.

3. sous vide until done.

4. blast chill or chill quickly in ice slurry, then keep refrigerated until required.

to serve

5. drop the still vacuum sealed pouch into recirculating sous vide bath, or just drop into a pot of almost boiling water. (this is simply to bring the internal temperature up.

6. open the pounch into a hot pan, then flash in a very hot oven, or low under salamander to crisp the skin.

SERVE!

this approach would retain the natural shape but allow to produce the required crisp skin.

NOTE: as you will be working with partially cooked meat after the initial roasting stage it is highly recommended you 1 use food handling gloves, and 2 work fast to portion/package the duck and sous vide as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have no idea what this is called; But when you buy bacon, ham etc in stores, it is often vacuumed on a sheet of cardboard with a non-stick surface. This material would be very helpful to have at home, to preserve food.

Does anyone know what this material is called, and if it is possible to order on line?