• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thousand Island or Burger Sauce

DanMLondon

Does anyone have any killer thousand island or special burger sauce recipes. I used one from food network but wasn't blown away and it contained a grated egg which I didn't like. I don't really like the taste of the soured cream recipes - its too creamy lol - so would rather use a mayo/ketchup mix. They are easy enough to make but has anyone ever added any cool things which people have loved?

Like what goes into an In N Out burger special sauce/spread - I'd like to make an organic homemade version of that for some burgers tonight for some family coming over.

Two words. Bacon mayo. Best ever period. You can make your own with rendered bacon fat instead of using oil. Or kraft makes a reduced fat bacon mayo thats really good, and there is some gourmet brand you can usually find in the deli section of grocery stores. I usually use bacon mayo and a swirl of ketchup and a few slices of dill pickle and red onion, lettuce, tomato..yum

I don't use a recipe when making my own thousand island - I just eyeball it. Mayo, ketchup and sweet pickle relish. For something extra, sometimes I'll add a dash of cumin or celery seeds.

That's how I used to make thousand island. I don't care much for it so I don't really make it anymore.

Sriracha + mayo would be good.

We call it Big Daddy sauce around my house. It's a staple for our burgers. I mix mayo, catsup, yellow and dijon mustard, creamed horse radish, sweet pickle relish, and a bit powdered garlic. Never had a complaint.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields