• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Duck

mercury529

I have some lovely leftover Thai restaurant crispy duck in tamarind sauce that I'd like to reheat sous vide.  Could anyone give me a time and temperature recommendation?  My other option would be a low oven, but I don't want to dry out the meat or sauce if I can help it.

Thanks!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

SV is my preferred reheating method for pretty much all proteins, but it can be tricky if you're dealing with stuff that's been sliced into smaller pieces (as I imagine your duck is). If you have larger cuts like a steak or a duck leg, it's easy to retherm them and sear them off to refresh your crust. That's not as easy when you've got slices of meat that you're trying to reheat that you also want a nice crust on. If they're big enough to stand up on their own without flopping over, I'd say reheat SV and then sear the skin side to get it crispy again. If the slices are too thin for that, you might have to put up with some less-than-crispy skin or else just put it in a hot oven (or maybe even under a broiler) until it perks up. Getting once-crispy skin crispy again is a tough task that usually involves overcooking the rest of your item. Leftovers are tricky that way. I have a feeling that once the Searzall finally ships, it will be a great way to put finishing touches on your SV-warmed leftover duck. (But that's just conjecture at this point!)