• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

lizztwozee

Seeds/grains don't stick on baked breads! Any "glue" ideas?

5 posts in this topic

Greetings, bread bakers! I'm experimenting with topping my breads with rolled oats and seeds, with some successfully sticking (after a dip in water previous to the second rise), and lots falling off after baking. I'm wondering if another liquid like milk, or maybe a corn starch slurry would be a good idea? Here's a quick shot of some rye breads with oat bran, which stuck on pretty successfully, but being a smaller material, I think that had something to do with it. Any experiences to share? Thanks.

RyeBreads.JPG

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

Beaten egg whites with a bit of water is suggested and has worked for me. It does not add the extra color that a whole egg can.

2 people like this

I second Heidi's recommendation. I always use egg white and water and most of the seeds stay on.

Beautiful breads.

2 people like this

For seeds I just scatter them in the bottom of the proving basket. For a decent coating of oats have a tray with a wet tea towel in the bottom and a tray with plenty of oats. Roll the dough after shaping on the wet tea towel and then in the oats until completely coated.

Mick

2 people like this

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Great suggestions, all, thank yoooouuuu!!

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky