• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best non-stick cookware?

starstern

FYI, Scanpan is not PTFE free. Some ceramics are PTFE-free, but they're not truly nonstick. Have tried several of those and the only one I'm prepared to recommend is the Cuisinart line. In particular, I have the everyday pan and it's the only ceramic pan I've tried where the surface held up to extended use (going on something like four years now).

FYI, Scanpan is not PTFE free. Some ceramics are PTFE-free, but they're not truly nonstick. Have tried several of those and the only one I'm prepared to recommend is the Cuisinart line. In particular, I have the everyday pan and it's the only ceramic pan I've tried where the surface held up to extended use (going on something like four years now).

thanks so much ; but on what you base your info ? i guess you haven't lab tested them "

and ' on the Cuisinart 'its not at all non stick ,that you talk about 'correct ?

Edited by starstern (log)

I did a lot of research on this a year or two ago. I have an All-Clad that was pretty expensive and stopped being nonstick with eggs way too fast, very disappointing (with eggs). When I read around the net after this pan became almost useless I came across the "buy cheap, replace often" mantra that I now use. If it no longer is non stick I recycle it and get a new cheaper one at Target or at a restaurant supply store. What works in a restaurant will sure work at home, I've never seen very expensive pans in the restaurant kitchens I got to peek into.

I had one from Safeway years ago that lasted a much much longer time than the expensive pan, though I don't recall what coating it had. Now I think I have a Tefal (spelling?) with one of the PTFE free coatings. I pretty much only use it for eggs since I normally use my cast iron pan. Works well.

But that warranty thing above makes me think I should maybe try to exchange my All-Clad at Surlatable. Of course I don't have the receipt anymore, but maybe they're nice. I'd be happy with store credit for something else :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Among other pans I have Vollrath Pro-HG saute pans with the titanium-cobalt (?) coating that is good for high temperature cooking. The 8" and the 10" pans that I use all of the time are showing signs of wear in the coating. I doubt I will get the 25 year guarantee life out of either one. I see a life of 12-15 years. In general my DW and I have long since moved into the "buy inexpensive/replace when needed" mode for our non-stick saute pans.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'm a fan of Calphalon non-stick. Took them up on what I understood as an outstanding return/replace policy. Boxed up 2 favorite skillets (that just weren't so non-stick any more... and probably 6-7 years old) and FAVORiE sauce pan (from a set even OLDER that was showinf signs of wear even tho only wood/plastic/silicon tools used). It cost a few bucks to ship 2 pieces to them, but in a little more than a week had BRAND NEW replacements... NO receipts required!

• Like 1

thanks so much ; but on what you base your info ? i guess you haven't lab tested them "

and ' on the Cuisinart 'its not at all non stick ,that you talk about 'correct ?

I've done a lot of research on pans in general and nonstick in particular. A seriously disingenuous piece of marketing which has become common is for pans to tout that they're PFOA free, implying they're also teflon-PTFE free. Wiki explains the difference. See also How Stuff Works. At this point, if a nonstick pan claims the former without claiming the latter, I assume it's a PTFE pan. As for Scanpan, look at this FAQ for one of their main online distributors. From its similarity to this one from another distributor, I infer Scanpan is the source of the text. In any event, it's clear from both that Scanpan is a PTFE surface.

As regards the Cuisinart line I linked, you understand correctly, no, it's not truly nonstick. No non-PTFE surface is. The non-PTFE ceramic surfaces (including Cuisinart's) can best be described as low stick. Less sticky (and easier to clean) than stainless steel, but more sticky than PTFE. In my experience, good for eggs and pretty good for veggies, but not so good for meat. For the latter, I will brown some other way, e.g., in cast iron, then transfer to stainless steel to braise (if it's that sort of recipe) or cook by sous vide. Or, more likely these days, I'll cook by sous vide and brown at the end wth a countertop convection oven. Indeed, it's for the latter that I most use the Cuisinart everyday pan, as low stick is adequate for that application. And, with attentive cleaning with Barkeeper's Friend, it has held up better than any PTFE or other non-PTFE ceramic pan I've tried.

Bottom line, there's no perfect cooking surface. If there were, we'd all be using it by now. Ultimately, it comes down to how you cook,, what recipes you use and what other factors you consider. For me, the issue with PTFE isn't safety - I'm persuaded that's not a problem if used correctly - but rather that it doesn't hold up very well. Cast iron is nearly nonstick (if well seasoned), but heavy and not good for braises. And so on. If you want a single set that's non-PTFE and relatively easy to use, the Cuisinart line is the best choice of which I'm aware. But the better answer is an assortment of pans with different surfaces (I even have a few PTFE pieces), which will give you the flexibility to handle a wide range of tasks. That's what I do and, I think, a lot other folks here.

Just my $0.02's worth. YMMV.

""" life-long warranty. """

on the non-stick coating? have you ever taken one back?

they have been on the market for about 3-4 years. I have had a wok and a crepe-pan for about the same timespan, and I can see no signs of deterioration yet, not in the looks of the pan/coating nor in the non-stick abilities. So no, I haven't ever taken one back. They also give life-long warranty on the enamelled cast-iron, and I know for fact that they are indeed not very difficult about the warranty. I know of at least one skillet that had cracked because of abuse (sitting empty over full heat for about 10 minutes) and was replaced without questions. So I am quite confident that the life-long warranty they promise is indeed being apllied.

• 4 years later...
On 12/3/2013 at 3:55 PM, OliverB said:

But that warranty thing above makes me think I should maybe try to exchange my All-Clad at Surlatable. Of course I don't have the receipt anymore, but maybe they're nice. I'd be happy with store credit for something else :-)

I can't speak for All Clad or SLT specifically, but the problem that people generally run into with nonstick pan warranties is that the coating is warranted ... but not the performance. It's not enough that eggs stick to it. You'd have to show that in spite of your following every letter of the insturctions, the coating flaked off. 

It's certainly woth trying. Just don't be surprised if they give you the classic brush-off.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

18 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Just don't be surprised if they give you the classic brush-off.

Swiss Diamond does the same thing.  Either you didn't keep the surface clean enough, or you kept it too clean.  Surprise, no warranty.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2013 at 9:25 AM, Koen Lebegge said:

I always use Le Creuset non stick cookware. Have tried other brands, but not very satisfied with them. True, it's not titanium (it's cast-alumium), but they are very high-quality and the company offers life-long warranty.

I realise this is a response to an old post but having recently been in contact with Le Creuset I thought others might find this information useful.

We have a good number of Le Creuset cooking pots collected over more than 30 years.  Some 20 years ago we noticed that the nom-stick surface of one of our ‘fait tout’ pans was chipping.  These pots have an all cast iron body and the lid can be used as a small frying pan.  The whole pot can be used on the hob and in the oven and we find it an ideal size for numerous meals for 2.  Aware that Le Creuset offers a lifetime guarantee we contacted our local retailer, they sent it to Le Creuset and in due course we received a new pot, this time the pan is lined in enamel, it is only the lid/frying pan that has a non-stick surface, we understand the version with all non-stick was withdrawn because too many people experienced the same problem.  We still have the replacement and it is used most days.

Very many years ago I came across a Le Creuset milk pan in a clearance sale, also non-stick.  I was a student at the time and money was in short supply but even then a genuine Le Creuset milk pan at £12 just had to be bought.  This pan is also used most days and that has been the case for more than 3 decades.  Recently I noticed that the non-stick was starting to disintegrate in the centre of the pan base.  I certainly have no receipt but Le Creuset items are easily enough distinguished from other makes (some, much cheaper, are very good).  Remembering the lifetime guarantee I contacted Le Creuset customer service to ask firstly (with little optimism) did the guarantee apply; if not could the pan be refinished and if so at what price and if neither of those options was possible I asked where I might find a replacement.

I received a fast and detailed reply.  Yes, Le Creuset cast iron pots with enamelled interiors are guaranteed for life on a fair useage basis.  Non-stick coatings are guaranteed for 10 years so our pan is certainly not covered and Le Creuset no longer make pans like ours so a new replacement is not an option.  Very sad about the last bit of information because I would now pay a lot of money for another pan like ours in new condition.  Le Creuset assured us that even though the non-stick is breaking down the pan is still safe to use.  I am yet to see any detached pieces of non-stick in our sauces so continue with this pan hoping that one day I will come across a replacement that someone has had stashed in a cupboard for years.  I search eBay regularly but in general pans on sale via eBay are in worse condition than ours.

In conclusion then, I was really impressed that Le Creuset responded promptly and in detail to my query.  We at least know that the enamelled pieces are guaranteed and that one can go direct to the manufacturer rather than having to recall where items were bought and hope they are still trading.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Cheap does make sense given the fragility of teflon.

But I use carbon steel (Darto, Matfer) for french omelets that slide off the pan. Really all I need it for is scrambled eggs that are cooked slowly. The seasoning on the steel looks all uneven...like it ought to stick...but a spritz of Pam is all I need.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I like these :

T-fal E93802 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan, 8-Inch, Black

look it up at Amazon.

I got the 12 " as in a show at ATK  they made Singapore Noodles

I do love them , and now make them myself.

I then got the 8 " for eggs , Nice for me

and then got the 10 "

they do go in the oven , but Ive never used them > 350 F

as in all things Amazonian . 

In Spite of out ( USA only ) deeply challenged Leader

there is a web site I can not site now

where you can follow these prices

they go up and down

but Im very happy w these

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

T-fal E93802 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan, 8-Inch, Black

look it up at Amazon.

Thanks for mentioning that 8-inch pan.  I could use a new one in that size.  I'm happy with the Tramontana brand that I recently got in the 12" size, but the T-fal is ten bucks cheaper for the 8".

Currently on Amazon.com, the T-fal E93802 Professional Total Nonstick, 8-Inch is listing at $14.00, one of its lower prices according to camelcamelcamel.com:

panprice.thumb.jpg.4ae55017adef2bd2b523996a1bf7736f.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Yeah but...    just because you have induction is no reason to pay top dollar for your non-stick. Ikea has non-stick ones that are excellent AND  induction compatible. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the T-Fal I have are Induction Ready and indeed work Inducti0n -Wise

i do agree , IKEA is a good place to look for this sort of stuff

esp  induction not so expensive pans and pots

i have some of those , not because of induction but because they did their job well on Gas

• Like 1

My 10 inch nonstick skillet was a Sur La Table brand, a gift many years ago. I use it only for scrambled eggs and for pan-frying slabs of cooked grits, so it doesn't get heavy use, but it is crummy looking and at the end of its life. I am good with lids. After  a quick read of this thread I made my decision. I am in the camp of folks who really don't like non-stick pans, so I went with inexpensive. I ordered a Cuisinart DSA-22-24 from Amazon for $22. It came yesterday, looks just like a nonstick pan should, is on the heavy side (that's good) and I will give it a test run tomorrow morning. If there is anything dysfunctional or weird about it I will follow up. Otherwise assume I have no complaints and expect to outlive several more of these things.