• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best non-stick cookware?

starstern

I have this set of three :

https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Nonstick-Cookware-Thermo-Spot-Indicator/dp/B000GWG0T2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=t-fal+pans+non-stick&qid=1583850284&s=home-garden&sr=1-6

they are not dirt cheap , nor flashy expensive 

im veery happy with them

and if something happens to them , im not broke replacing them

I do put a few drops of oil , or a tiny bit of butter in them when they heat up

and ' rub it in ' before using.  and it is a few drops only

on time , I wasn't paying attention for some reason

and the 10 " seriously overheated and was damaged.

my fault.  but I didn't hesitate to replace it.

these also go in the oven , but ive forgotten the max temp.

its reasonably high

BTW   the set of three used to cost   significantly less than $ 52

still a bargain at the 52 price

and I use all three.

My go-to pans for just about everything are All-Clad's 3 qt. sauté and 1 qt. sauté..12-inch and 8-inch.    I've had these for at least 15 years and both are still going strong.  Maybe not quite as non-stick as they once were but still workable.

One of these days I'll have to replace them but All-Clad no longer makes these units.  

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

often labeled "stoneware" generically - the handle design gives a hint as to brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Carote-Stone-Derived-Non-Stick-Switzerland-Including/dp/B0732NFVDL

I do the 'buy cheap&toss' routine - it's sometimes a challenge to find a good rounded chine for tossing stuff in the pan - how does this one fare in that regard?

The pan is small and I almost never use it for anything except eggs, so I don't have much need to toss but it's shape is well suited for flipping and tossing.

I posted about the titanium-ceramic pan line Vollrath Pro-HG a little over 6 years ago. We've now owned them for 15ish years and I'm still happy with them. The 8" saute pan died within about 5 years, whereas everything else is perking along albiet my 10" and 12" saute pans are starting to clearly show their age. A couple of years ago I was able to buy a second 10"  Pro-HG saute pan for cheap at a thrift store. My original 10" saute pan is still serviceable but since it's my go-to size both hang on my pot rack.

I still add butter to my non-stick pans when making eggs - for flavor as well as helping with non-stickiness. Eggs seem to have a mind of their own.

I do have well-seasoned cast iron but I prefer the quicker heating and better heat distribution of my Vollrath pans for eggs. My CI finds most of it's use for searing sous vide meats just before serving.

I've not had problems with rivets failing or spot welds failing with any of my cookware, some of it over 40 years old. Not sure what the difference between what I own versus what other people own but I've never understood that concern.  Except for cast iron all of my cookware goes into the dishwasher.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've not had problems with rivets failing or spot welds failing with any of my cookware, some of it over 40 years old. Not sure what the difference between what I own versus what other people own but I've never understood that concern. 

I've seen both, probably because a lot of my pots and pans over the years were random, low-cost department store acquisitions. Over the last couple of decades I've been able to acquire better cookware, and expect most of what I have will last as long as I do. Non-stick skillets are the exception to that rule, and I assume a lifespan of 5-8 years. If I get more out of my current ones (Paderno) I'll be pleased, but they're too new to know for sure.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning