• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potable Secret Santa

Plantes Vertes

Mine has not arrived, nor does my gift appear to have reached its intended. I fear it's lost in the mail... time to make a phone call.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Supposedly the US Postal Service won't handle booze. I discovered this recently.

What they don't know won't hurt them! Unless it 'splodes...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Mine has not arrived, nor does my gift appear to have reached its intended. I fear it's lost in the mail... time to make a phone call.

If your package still hasn't reached its destination, and you were unaware of the regulations prohibiting sending alcohol through the USPS and did so, you may want to think twice before investigating this.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

A guy asked me if I wanted a frozen banana daiquiri now and I said no, but I want a regular banana daiquiri later, so, yeah.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Oh. The good old glass art work. Boring, plausible and more specific than just 'glass container' or 'fragile non-suspicious item--nothing to see here!'

And I assume the packaging didn't scream WINE MAILING BOX!. Shame to see most of the packages go astray. I hear tell FedEx--not that I've ever ponied up for them--are good for this sort of thing. I think, Stateside, they can ship booze legally. Could be wrong, tho'. I mean, you guys have funny laws about moving things between states, right?

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I imagine things get trickier, and more expensive, with transatlantic booze shipping, unfortunately for Ms. Vertes.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I imagine things get trickier, and more expensive, with transatlantic booze shipping, unfortunately for Ms. Vertes.

Vertes got hers, thanks to her Santa ordering from a British site!

• Like 1

I braved a trip to the post office and was rewarded with my no-longer-secret Santa's gift—a lovely and functional meditation fountain. Not potable, per se, or boozy, but a thoughtful present that will be of much use in my continuing quest for enlightenment.

Unrelatedly, I've found my new favorite Daiquiri rum.

954517_10100375527127452_20141843_n.jpg?

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I seriously considered joining the potable SS - and was going to see if I could rig it to be SS for Rafa - and to send him exactly the same thing!!!

• Like 1

You're too kind—did everyone know of my love for meditation aids?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

You're too kind—did everyone know of my love for meditation aids?

I notice you mentioned that you hadn't had it before - and I see many, many bottles every time I go into the LCBO - so it seemed like a good match! If it remains your favourite meditation aid - we may need to mail some next time I cross the border.

I seriously considered joining the potable SS -

I considered it too but I don't have access where I live to anything anybody can't get cheaper and easier themselves. Well, I can get Havana Club but just the anejo blanco, reserva and 7 year. So, for the most part, I'd be the only one that would benefit from my participation and that seemed a bit unfair.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG- look at what Santa/Fedex delivered a few minutes ago: Perry's Tot navy strength gin from NY Distilling Company. Not something I've ever seen here in California. I would try it right away if I hadn't had a couple of drinks with my lunch already (the weekend started early).

12684891963_a6dfec0bd4_z.jpg

It smells wonderful, and the little cocktail books seem like a lot of fun.

Thanks a lot Rafa!

• Like 2

Glad you're happy with it, and sorry it took so long and so many attempts to reach you!

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Glad you're happy with it, and sorry it took so long and so many attempts to reach you!

Nothing much you could do, and it was well worth my wait.

Were they ever able to locate the first shipment, or did it get lost in the mail?

Lost down some postal worker's gullet, probably. I suppose I can find it in my heart to forgive their attempt to Grinch your Christmas.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com