• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potable Secret Santa

Plantes Vertes

I have had an idea.

I'm not just boasting here, there's more to it than that...

Perhaps we can do a Spirits and Cocktails secret santa.

It could involve exchanging

- Actual gifts like barware or cocktail books, or spirits, of course

- Cocktail recipes we've chosen to suit the recipient

- Cocktail recipes we've invented to suit the recipient

- Recommendations for relevant websites/apps

- An introduction to an obscure technique/ingredient

- Vouchers for relevant suppliers

I see potential difficulties with all six but maybe someone will have a better idea.

What do you all think?

Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

I'm in.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

It must be a hat. We have your word.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

As there are few of us I think that physical gifts will be possible - please let me know if that is not the case.

It's been pointed out to me that we need a guide price. I would suggest a bottle of spirits or equivalent. Does that sound reasonable? I see that shipping booze is prohibited in certain jurisdictions so I invite you to to consult the relevant laws and your consciences and act accordingly.

Do feel free to raise objections or alternative ideas. I have as promised done the hat thing and you should now be in receipt of your Santee,

In receipt of my Santee and properly excited. My plan is to ship a bottle of spirits or its equivalent but I do not require this of whoever my Santer may be. From each according to her/his ability.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

the Verve would have to hit real hard at the opening, then fade to a bunch of blah in the main body of the drink, with no finish at all, until a full 5 minutes later when there's one last flash of awesomeness on the palate.

• Like 5

I posted that comment in the wrong thread and edited out, but demand that you leave your now unprovoked slam on Britpop's shoegaze-y pioneers untouched, for future historians to puzzle over.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have to apologize to my secret santee as it does not appear that his/her/zir gift will arrive before the 25th as I had hoped, but likely a day or two after. I can only affirm that it was selected and wrapped with great affection and excitement.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

That's what shkle said.

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Just a note - if anyone's package to me is delayed, note that I'll be out of country from late in the day on the 26th until well into January---get them to hold it!

Just a note - if anyone's package to me is delayed, note that I'll be out of country from late in the day on the 26th until well into January---get them to hold it!

Same here. I will be out of town from the 25th until Jan 9th.

I have to apologize to my secret santee as it does not appear that his/her/zir gift will arrive before the 25th as I had hoped, but likely a day or two after. I can only affirm that it was selected and wrapped with great affection and excitement.

Mine will be late as well. But it should be worth the wait, I promise...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Santa dropped by while I was visiting my folks.

attachicon.gif021 (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gif022 (640x480).jpg

Thanks Santa! I'm stoked.

Quite an interesting collection of bourbons. Two from the same mashbill of a big distiller although one brand is much less common than the other, two sourced bourbons, one from Kentucky and one from Indiana, both blended by separate but very reputable craft distillers, and a small "craft" distillery bourbon that has been aged briefly in small barrels.

Should make an interesting comparison!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, they have! Thanks for setting it up and hope you enjoy the bourbon (figured Kentucky-ish bourbon was the closest representative product from me in VA/DC)

Mine was a shiny bottle of La Favorite. Not sure if my benefactor would prefer the identity kept secret...