• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra pumpkin puree - what to do with it?

jsmeeker

I don't have any tried and true recipes for them, but other ideas are pumpkin bread, scones or biscuits.

I also make a simple custard in  small Pyrex souffle dishes to serve as a side with pork. It's very lightly sweetened and spiced to let the pumpkin shine through.

For inspiration, you could also look to the Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer circular available on line. Right now the latest available is August 17, but very soon, they will have pumpkin everything. It actually irritates me because they clear out usually available products to make room for the hundreds of pumpkin products they stock in the fall.  :smile:

I found my Fearless Flyer from last year, and they offered pumpkin (hereafter abbreviated to p) bread mix, p pancake and waffle mix, p ice cream, p rolls with p spice icing, p cream cheese muffins, p yogurt, p croissants, p cream cheese, p bagels, roasted p ravioli, p bread pudding, iced p scone cookies, p macaroons, p ginger ice cream sandwiches, p cranberry crisps, p croutons, pumpkin bars, p cranberry scone mix, p butter, p cornbread, p toaster pastries, p ginger instant oatmeal, p Joe Joes's (a sandwich cookie), and even a Kennebunkport Brewing Co. p ale. These are just the items covered in the sales flyer. There are many more in the store in October. Seriously, someone in TJ's management is obsessed with pumpkin.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you, Kitchen Queen.    I grow the New England Sugar Pie pumpkins, and ended up with a bunch of them this year.  So, I've been baking them, (roast the seeds with some salt for a nifty snack),  and then I scoop them out, blast with a little HWC. then add salt and butter. Its a great alternative side dish to mashed potatoes.

When I freeze the puree, I do it in 2c increments for pumpkin pies, and pumpkin bars throughout the fall and long winter.   The pumpkin bars are fantastic, and the recipe comes from my MIL.:

Oven 350F; Bake time 25-30m

2c sugar

2 c flour

1/2tsp salt

4 eggs

16 oz pumpkin puree

1c oil

1tsp baking soda

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cloves.

Combine all the dry ingredients ( sift them together), then add the wet ingredients. Stir well, but don't over do it.  I make the bars sort of thin, and use an 16 by 20 (I think) rectangular pan.   Just bake and cool. 

MIL found that most of the whole family likes these best with cream cheese frosting. But, they are great without any topping, too. And, the bars freeze very well. Hope that helps you! - An

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: