• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

patti_h

Exploding bonbons-what did I do wrong?

I made bananas foster Bon bons for the favors for my parents 50th anniversary party favors, using the banana ganache recipe from M. Laiskonis' workbook. I made a dry caramel & added small thin shards of caramel into the ganache. They were completed Monday evening. On Wednesday I noticed a few had exploded so I replaced them in the boxes with another bonbon. Tonight I went to set them out & saw that every last one had exploded as in the attached photo. I made only one tray so I don't have a comparison. Any thoughts as to what I did wrong? I would prefer to avoid exploding anymore bonbons!image.jpg

I've never heard of anything of the sort before -- how intriguing! Especially considering how, if anything, the ganache would retract. I had this thought the expansion might have been due to expansion of starch molecules or something but that's just silly. Banana ganaches simply would not work then.

My current feeling is, if the bananas were fresh, that there may have been some degree of fermentation that happened. Especially if you followed the instructions on the recipe because the bananas aren't heat treated at all (being added at 35C only). I may have miscalculated but I think that banana ganache recipe has a moisture content of 25% which is at the upper limit of acceptable water content for bonbons but if you combine that with using a fresh banana puree, that could essentially 'inoculate' the ganache Of course, that whole theory is debunked if the puree had been heat treated.

My best guess is your outer shell was too thin and as the chocolate shell crystallized and shrank around the filling, the center burst out at the weakest point.

Yup - fermentation as mentioned by HQAntithesis. Yeasts react with the sugars to form alcohol and CO2.

Well I'll be....never imagined that would happen. I just got finished cannibalizing two 12-piece boxes to refill all the orders I brought with me out of state this week. Next week I will be using Steve Lebowitz's bananas foster recipe he has posted here on eGullet! I have to say that this is one of the weirdest things I've had happen in the kitchen! But hey- it was a learning experience. Disappointing because that ganache had a great flavor, but Steve's sounds really yummy too.

I knew the eGulleters would be able to figure it out.

• Like 1

When Joe made his banana's foster bonbon at the Woodbridge Chocolate Workshop, he cooked the bananas in butter and brown sugar. I held onto a couple of those bonbons for a few days and they did not shrink or explode. So I agree with Kerry, try adapting your current recipe to cook the bananas.

• Like 1

Ruth- I did, and I think I could detect fermentation. Next time I'm using Steve's recipe- It was a learning experience though! People at my parents party ate the exploded ones and said they tasted great....but that was certainly disheartening to me!

I've never had a problem with the Laiskonis recipe but I've only done it with Boiron and Sicoly banana purees, never done it with fresh banana, so I'd be inclined to agree cooking your bananas would be a good place to start. I'm pretty certain I remember Michael Laiskonis saying on one of his blogs that he always uses commercial purees (when available in the flavor he's working with) for consistency in his products so I'm pretty sure that's what he would have used in the ganache recipe.

That makes sense, although many of his recipes call for a fruit purée, 10% sugar, but this recipe called specifically for fresh bananas. I am quite certain the problem was on my end, Michael Laiskonis is pure genius! Also, if he was making this in the restaurant, I imagine they would be eaten before they ever had a chance to start to ferment.... I truly need to do some more studying. As soon as I quit one of my jobs! :)

It's possible we have different versions of his recipe. Mine just says "banana puree", it doesn't specify fresh or not.

• Similar Content

• By Kerry Beal
      Can you believe this is our 10th annual workshop? And here we are back in Niagara College in beautiful Niagara on the Lake where it all began in 2009.

The view from my room - the pergola down there we will have access to for Show and Tell on Friday night.

I had every intention of soaking in a nice warm bath after my arrival - alas not a tub to be seen - and while the shower is quite attractive  - it doesn't invite soaking!

Those who can't soak can at least drink if they have remembered to bring small specimen bottles of booze. I somehow pictured a nice glass tumbler for my negroni - but alas...

Tomorrow morning the whirlwind will begin with a trip across the border to Tomric - hope everyone remembers their passport.

• By gfron1
      Has anyone taken one of Andrey's classes. I know they've been mentioned in the How Do They Do That thread, but I can't remember if anyone has taken a course. I'm curious because he continues to do methods that are groundbreaking. Not cheap for an online course, but I'm interested in taking his praline course.

I just watched his free tempering class and it was good, nothing special but good enough to allay my fears that the Russian to English translation or camerawork might make the class not worthwhile.

Thnx.
    • By pastrygirl

saw this post and questioned why  “in theory, this won’t work”, response so far is “starch in chocolate can be problematic”

Ok ... obviously adding a lot of fine dry material will decrease fluidity, and things could get weird if you were going to add cream and make ganache, but how else would milling popcorn into chocolate “not work”?  My experiments so far suggest you just need enough warm cocoa butter to keep things moving, how would starchy popcorn be different from fibrous fruits?  

• By pastrygirl
      Has anyone successfully replaced the power cord on a mol d' art melter?  Is it easy or do I have to send it somewhere, and if so, where?  Thought I'd check here for DIY info before contacting TCF.

My 6kg melter has reached the point where the cord has to be in that just right position to conduct power, and just right can be elusive.  I've had it for several years so it's seen some use, am hoping it's a simple repair, i.e. can be done with a screwdriver or passed off to one of my handier brothers in exchange for candy.

thanks!
    • By secast1992
      So I've been experiencing cracks on the foot of my bonbons that I've been unable to find the cause of, hoping to reach out to the community to get to the bottom of this costly problem. 

I work for a small chocolate company that makes our own bean to bar couverture. We use a continuous tempering machine with enrobing belt attachment. 
      The process: ganache is made and then piped into round silicone molds, which are then footed with tempered chocolate before being placed in the freezer until frozen enough to pop out of the molds. They are then set up right and left to thaw and dry out overnight on a equipped with fans aimed at the bonbons. The next day we send the bonbons through the enrober, and then they are transferred to a speed rack to set up, either at room temp (generally around 68-70 degrees F) or in a homemade cooling cabinet (an insulated box equipped with an air conditioner + dehumidifier + fans) that generally fluctuates between 50-56 degrees F (I know, large range). 

Problems occur with both milk and dark couverture, with bonbons kept at room temp or in cabinet, thickness of foot doesn't seem to make a difference (we've tried thicker and thinner). Crack doesn't immediately appear; it usually takes a couple of minutes after being completely set before showing. It looks as though the foot is popping out, cause a hairline crack between the shell and the foot. I've attached pictures. You'll notice in the photos, that when the bonbon is cut in half, the foot separates from the shell pretty significantly. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar experiences?