• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Movies and food

Kikujiro

... preferred it to 8 Femmes, and I should point out it contains scenes of rabbit skinning and consumption, as well as the eating of, um, other kinds of meat.

Would this be a good time to mention Trouble Every Day from Claire Denis? That film made me lose my appetite rather quickly. While certainly not a very good film in my opinion, it did provide some good laughs ("Oh right... I forgot that we keep a chainsaw under the bed!"... that's not actual dialogue, but it's sort of implied) along with the mediocre horror. Of course, it rates an A for explicit images if you're into that sort of thing, but it's certainly not a good candidate for taste-o-vision.

I did enjoy the pacing and the soundtrack though.

I notice that as a tribute to one of our most indefatigable eGulletarians UK terrestrial TV is screening

"Carry on Cabby" tomorrow.

Was Peter Sellers in that one?

I don't think Sellers was in any Carry On

The afore mentioned Cabby has a plot involving two rival cab firms run by Hattie Jaques and Sid James. If I remember rightly Hattie's firm was called GLAM CABS and was comprised of what were known at the time as "right little ravers"

Ah happy days

S

I notice that as a tribute to one of our most indefatigable eGulletarians UK terrestrial TV is screening

"Carry on Cabby" tomorrow.

Was Peter Sellers in that one?

I don't think Sellers was in any Carry On

The afore mentioned Cabby has a plot involving two rival cab firms run by Hattie Jaques and Sid James. If I remember rightly Hattie's firm was called GLAM CABS and was comprised of what were known at the time as "right little ravers"

Ah happy days

S

Maybe I was thinking of Terry Thomas??

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Went last night to see City of God at the Barbican

Pile of execrable old toot ( looked like it had been made by a 22 yr old who had just come out of film school where they majored in Tarantino and Minored in Goodfella's - all flashy camera work, no narrative drive and generally wretched. )

just made me depressed and hungry so did the comfort food thing at The Sutton Arms. Food excellent as usual ( superb devilled chicken livers ) but slightly ruined by a group of bumptious oafs at the next table who were being rude to the delightful staff and talking loudly about the new games they had bought for their X Box ( word to the wise guys - 30something Cityboy + Xbox = No sex )

Ho hum

S

Saw Gangs of New York last night (at the last minute, I suddenly discovered it was on; peculiar, as films in the UK generally open on a Friday). I found much to admire about it, particularly the opening sequence (funny to see Scorsese openly drawing on Wong Kar-wai's Ashes of Time, and a very Woo-like bit in a church, the Woo film in question having been a tribute to Scorsese, oy), Day Lewis (who I'm not sure I like but was excellent, although oddly seemed to have become De Niro as the latter was too old for the part), and the scale and energy of the reconstruction, which worked for me. Oh, and the very historical materialist approach, unexpected from Scorsese. And the final shot putting back what so many films have been airbrushing out (am right on this, no?)

My companion said she had not been so bored since Titanic.

Wasn't there a thread on Gangs once? I was avoiding reading until I'd seen it. Must have been posted on OTC, unnecessary really for a film whose main character is a butcher.

There's a place in Arlington Virginia called the Cinema & Drafthouse that plays discount 6-month old movies and will serve you any variety of munchies and beer... unfortunately, all of it is awful.

The seats are sort of a cross between Las Vegas Lounge chairs and ordinary living room furniture. Comfortable, but sort of disgustingly ratty.

And then there are the waitresses who wander around carrying trays during the movie.

I'm pretty sure the whole idea is to have the divey bar experience without having to carry on a conversation with anyone.

Funnily enough we did Simon's thing in reverse -- early tea at Sutton Arms (yes great chicken livers) followed by a Barbican film.

Ours was Cocteau's La Belle et La Bete with a live score by Philip Glass (and the man himself on keyboards). It's part of the Glass on Film season wich runs till Saturday; they're doing Dracula, Powayquatsi and Koyaaniquatsi (sp?sp?).

I love Glass especially as a film score and there's always something special about a live accompaniment. I remember a particularly good Pandora's Box at the Everyman a few years back.

The Cocteau was incredibly camp I thought -- loads of sumptuous costume, imagery and overacting. Belle dines at 7pm every evening observed by Beast, but I couldn;'t see what she was eating. Her father drinks a particularly potent glass of red wine at the start. No other food scenes to speak of.

...Wasn't there a thread on Gangs once? I was avoiding reading until I'd seen it. Must have been posted on OTC, unnecessary really for a film whose main character is a butcher.

Yes, it certainly did go down with the rest off OTC. Clearly the other people who saw the film didn't realize its commentary/critique of the butcher industry. Actually, I can't comment on that myself because I haven't seen the film yet (but probably will within a week).

Today, after lunch, I'm going to see Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers again (since one of my friends hasn't seen yet). I just realized that the discussion of that film went down with OTC as well and I wanted to comment on what I truly enjoyed about it. The computer-generated character called Gollum was really a delight to watch. I'm not sure if best supporting actor can go to CGI, but he's got my vote. He's also a fan of ultra-fresh sashimi, but apparently the hobbits are just tourists in this regard. Look out for the important scene in which Gollum and Sam debate recipes!

The restaurant in "Moonstruck" was The Grand Ticino, on Thompson Street. It closed a few years ago.

Yes, the Grand Ticino did close a few years ago, but it had nothing to do with the restaurant of the same name in "Moonstruck." That restaurant was a set, and it was supposed to be in Brooklyn.

By the way, have any of you seen the wonderful "La Buche" with Emmanuelle Beart as someone who would make a great egulleteer and (the movie being French, after all) knows you can do other things at the market besides shopping.

Edited by ranitidine (log)

I may have posted this here in the past but humor me........

In the 70's(I think), I saw the film "Babette's Feast" and then ate the same feast at Petrossian right after.

There was one dish I particularly remember, something Sarcophagus where one used a spoon to eat the brains of a small bird, I don't remember which kind, much like a soft-boiled egg.

It was a decadent experience, not to speak of creepy.

I may have posted this here in the past but humor me........

In the 70's(I think), I saw the film "Babette's Feast" and then ate the same feast at Petrossian right after.

There was one dish I particularly remember, something Sarcophagus where one used a spoon to eat the brains of a small bird, I don't remember which kind, much like a soft-boiled egg.

It was a decadent experience, not to speak of creepy.

I do think I remember reading about this someplace else, but it's certainly right on topic for this thread too!

Speaking of creepy, I can't believe that I forgot to mention Eraserhead. The dinner scene in that film is some of David Lynch's finest work. The soundscapes are also incredible and I wish he had chosen to give such aural works the same prominence in his later films.

Speaking of Lynch, Twin Peaks is a pie and coffee lover's dream. Just thinking about it makes me wish I had a slice of "damn good" cherry pie in front of me right now. Oh, and in Mulholland Drive there's a scene in which a man leaves the Winkie's on Sunset Boulevard without even touching his meal. It's just sitting there right on the plate and it's clearly the strangest thing about that film.

Speaking of creepy, I can't believe that I forgot to mention Eraserhead.  The dinner scene in that film is some of David Lynch's finest work.  The soundscapes are also incredible and I wish he had chosen to give such aural works the same prominence in his later films.

my god. that movie was so bizarre. i watched in college, stoned off my ass, and i *still* didn't get it. perhaps i'll review for the dinner scene.

one of my favorite food scenes: john goodman in "raising arizona," when he's eating a chicken wing, and talking about holding up a bank. "think about it HI", as he gestures with the wing towards his head. kills me just thinking about it.

additionally, "anyway, that's that doc [so-and-so] tells me", as he gestures with his hand which is holding a spoon full of "cereal flakes." oh man. right over his shoulder. :blink:

one of my favorite food scenes:  john goodman in "raising arizona," when he's eating a chicken wing, and talking about holding up a bank.  "think about it HI", as he gestures with the wing towards his head.  kills me just thinking about it.

For some reason, people pointing food at other people is just damn funny. Especially if that food wiggles a little bit in the process!

edit: oh yeah, and people pointing food at themselves is funny too...

Edited by 201 (log)

Speaking of creepy, I can't believe that I forgot to mention Eraserhead.  The dinner scene in that film is some of David Lynch's finest work.  The soundscapes are also incredible and I wish he had chosen to give such aural works the same prominence in his later films.

I think one of the creepiest dinner scenes is in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Not that it's Art though. :raz:

About Eraserhead, I would be more worried if you did get it, impaired or not.

Not that it's Art though.    :raz:

Yes it is.

But do you think it was conceived as art?

Keen eyed moviegoers will observe that Leatherface has stick of Wrigleys Gum poking out of that small jeans' pocket that people normally use for hashish.

Edited by Lord Michael Lewis (log)

think one of the creepiest dinner scenes is in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Not that it's Art though.    :raz:

Not to mention all the topical references to slaughterhouses! There's a lot about the killing and following preparation of things to be eaten. Clearly a very food-focused film!

On the Art issue... it's been a while since I last watched TCM, but I always put it in a category above most other horror films. I think the opening in particular is pretty accomplished in setting the atmosphere and would certainly qualify as an argument towards the film being Art. However, I'm not sure I agree with Kikujiro that the makers intended it to be art with a capital "A". Of course, I also agree with him that the intent is irrelevant.

So, to sum up, maybe it is... maybe it isn't, but I think aspects of it can be and I should watch it again so I can speak about it with a little more coherence. :wacko:

think one of the creepiest dinner scenes is in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  

Not that it's Art though.    :raz:

Not to mention all the topical references to slaughterhouses! There's a lot about the killing and following preparation of things to be eaten. Clearly a very food-focused film!

Apparently there's a remake of TCM in process. A friend, Robert Burns, was the art director on the original. He made all the skeletal furniture, mobiles, etc.

FWIW, he's also the world's authority on Rondo Hatton. Anyway, he was in Texas slaving away under the hot sun and I was in Santa Monica lollygagging around. He called and mentioned he needed to get some teeth for the flick. I remembered a dentist I knew. The good doctor saved up a couple of weeks of extractions and I mailed em off to Texas. Burns was sitting in his office one afternoon when the postman arrived with a parcel. "That must be my teeth from California," he exclaimed. The mailman dropped the parcel and ran out of the office. He still has most of the teeth and other stuff used in the film, to the extent it wasn't cannabalized for subsequent gore fests.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.