• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Movies and food

Kikujiro

Apparently there's a remake of TCM in process...

I for one am getting very sick of all the remakes. From what I've read, the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre is supposed to be VERY different, because one of the producers (Michael Bay) is on some sort of anti-violence committee. I think I'll go remake a sandwich without using bread.

One reason there've been so many remakes is, of course, greed. The folks who actually made the original--even though they supposedly had points--made virtually no money. The film made a lot of money for somebody, although that somebody seems to be a closely guarded secret. So, because the film was very profitable, the originators keep going back to the well trying to actually make some dough off the franchise.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Oh, don't get me wrong, TCM is art.

It might even be art.

But it's not Art.

Before you get all pomo on me about those distinctions having been obliterated, I was jokingly (sort of) comparing TCM, a cult classic if there ever was one, with the exalted status of David Lynch's oeuvre (I hope I spelled that right) among the cinemati. Which isn't to say I consider TCM a hack job. It's not. It suffers from the scores of cheap slasher flick imitations and the insipid sequel which followed it, but what they was able to do with little money and surprisingly little on-screen gore is amazing.

Anyway, here's a more on-topic aside: when I took a food writing class, one of our assignments was to pitch a book idea. Mine was to do a coffee table book about food in movies. Lots of photographs of food scenes along with recipes either for the actual dishes in the movies or for dishes inspired by the movies. A sort of combination film history/light criticism and cookbook. The teacher somewhat blythly dismissed the idea as having been done before, but I haven't been able to find any books that weren't just about specific movies. Does anyone know of any books like this one?

Ideas aren't copyrightable and I don't have the whatever to do this book anyway, so feel free to steal this idea. I might even buy a copy. :wink:

Apparently there's a remake of TCM in process...

I for one am getting very sick of all the remakes. From what I've read, the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre is supposed to be VERY different, because one of the producers (Michael Bay) is on some sort of anti-violence committee. I think I'll go remake a sandwich without using bread.

Michael Bay on an anti-violence committee? :huh::blink:

Is he donating his personal fortune to charity?

Anyway, here's a more on-topic aside:  when I took a food writing class, one of our assignments was to pitch a book idea.  Mine was to do a coffee table book about food in movies.  Lots of photographs of food scenes along with recipes either for the actual dishes in the movies or for dishes inspired by the movies.  A sort of combination film history/light criticism and cookbook.  The teacher somewhat blythly dismissed the idea as having been done before, but I haven't been able to find any books that weren't just about specific movies.  Does anyone know of any books like this one?

There's this, but it sure ain't no book.

http://yumfood.net/articles/screencuisine/...ncuisine-1.html

• 1 month later...
n the 70's(I think), I saw the film "Babette's Feast" and then ate the same feast at Petrossian right after.

What a wonderful movie that was! One of my favorites of all time. My mouth is watering just thinking about it(well, okay, I don't remember the part about eating the bird brains; that is not the reason my mouth is watering). What a feast it was, one that transformed the people eating it. If you haven't seen this movie, rent it at your video store--but have some really, really good snacks available at a moment's notice.

I think I saw this movie at La Scala (?) in London, opp Kings Cross, where one could drink beer. Pity about the English remake. Word for word (like La Femme Nikita) but not quite the same. I think I saw both movies then went and ate something.

No you didn't. You saw it at Cinema Village on 12th Street, next to a Kinko that has now closed and seems to be about to reopen as a rather cool looking restaurant.

After watching the large fellow in History of the World Part 2 finish his "lot" I too have a craving for a small thin "waffer."

That was "The Meaning of Life." Monsieur Creosote.

A few movies come to mind with unusual food scenes.

"A Clockwork Orange" where Malcom McDowell's character is recovering at the end, and being fed steak by the doctor, as he realizes he's got hte upperhand again. I thought he received and masticated brilliantly.

The blue food and giant produce in "Sleeper."

And of course, "The Cook, The Theif, His Wife, and Her Lover." I even loved watching Tim Roth vomit.

And maybe even better was "Brazil." # 8 DID look fabulous.

ranitidine--People eat in Scorsese's movies--and his mom cooked her own food for the scene in Wiseguys, where the guys borrow the knife for the deer. Food's huge for Scorsese and he talks about it a great deal in a number of interviews. Eating is emotional in his films, but not always comedic. Although Jodie Foster's Iris and her sugar binge is pretty great.

And after seeing Chocolat, I just had to make a whole bunch of chocolates. I had submitted a proposal to produce the DVD, and had included recipes, but I didn't get the gig, alas.

My husband , after seeing Mostly Martha, an admitted chick-flick, he felt like he'd been at work.

Edited by ideefixe (log)

Frida.

Nothing would do but to have a Mexican feast. Sadly, it had to be REAL Mexican...not that easy to come by.

So as a result, I spent the next three days in the kitchen. :wacko:

But even that didn't work particularly well. Ambiance issue.

So finally, just had to go to Mexico to get that chango off my back.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

one of my favorite food scenes: john goodman in "raising arizona," when he's eating a chicken wing, and talking about holding up a bank. "think about it HI", as he gestures with the wing towards his head. kills me just thinking about it.

Was just thinking about this this morning. "Think about it, Haaaaaah." :biggrin:

"Delicatessen," all the way.

Noise is music. All else is food.

"Delicatessen," all the way.

The same director's _Amelie_ always makes me want... well, Amelie. But food too! A creme brulee, or roast chicken, both of which are featured nicely in the film.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

This is a long long shot, but what the heck, you film buffs may have an idea how to track down this film.

A German made film , shot partly in Padstow between 96-99

I was told the title was " The Long Weekend", but translating that into German has not helped my search.

Not alot to go on i know, but it's a challenge :biggrin:

The food link is that i did some hand double stuff for a kitchen scene...but that may not have made the edit.

This is a long long shot, but what the heck, you film buffs may have an idea how to track down this film.

A German made film , shot partly in Padstow between 96-99

I was told the title was " The Long Weekend", but translating that into German has not helped my search.

Not alot to go on i know, but it's a challenge :biggrin:

The food link is that i did some hand double stuff for a kitchen scene...but that may not have made the edit.

This is a wild guess.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0116485

• 5 months later...