• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rennet Alternatives

ltimmis80

Before I begin can I just say, I love cheese. I have yet to find a type of cheese I do not like. Therefore, I thought I would try to make my own.

I am not against the idea of using rennet per se but I would like to try without it. I have read that you can use citric acid to curdle the milk but wouldn't this give the cheese a citrusy flavour?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Laura T x

What type of cheese do you want to make?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

i recently made my first batch of ricotta. The curdling agent was plain white vinegar, instead of citric acid or rennet. (Temperature was also important.) I actually found myself wondering whether it would have had more character if I'd used citric acid instead, possibly a more flavored vinegar like white wine vinegar. YMMV.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Citric acid is sour, in fact, sour salt IS citric acid. It is usually not from citrus, there is some kind of mold that is cultivated for the citric acid it produces.

anyway, citric acid activates the sour taste receptors on your tongue, but nothing else, so you will not get a citrus flavor when you use it in your cheese making. I hope that you get great results from your cheese making adventures!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Pretty sure lemon / vinegar will only work for simple cheeses like paneer (acid coagulation). However, there are plenty of rennet alternatives - Google Fermentation produced chymosin (FPC) - pretty sure most commercial cheeses use it.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how I get on. Will probably start off with a simple paneer and then work my way up :)

It's been many years since I tried making rennet cheese - and I ended up deciding it was more work than it was worth - but it's important to understand that panir isn't anything like rennet cheese. They're as different as apples and oranges. Both are good for their intended uses, but not interchangable. Nor is panir a stepping stone to rennet-based cheese. They're completely different things.