• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardamom and Chocolate

ltimmis80

The other night I decided, on a whim, to make some chocolate mousse. I had never tried to make chocolate mousse before but I was feeling adventurous so I picked up the whisk and got busy. Whilst I was melting the chocolate in the pan, I suddenly remembered reading, a while back, that cardamom and chocolate are in fact unlikely bed fellows. Well it just so happens that I was stood right next to my spice rack, so it would have been rude not to.

I crushed up a couple of pods with the pestle and mortar, threw them in with mix and heated it up. I poured the mixture into little bowls, popped them in the fridge and eagerly awaiting the results.

Unfortunately, the actual mousse sides of things was a bit of a disaster (I blame the quantity of cream). I left the bowls in the fridge for well over an hour and there was no sign of the little devils setting. Eventually I gave up, cut my loses and decided to just eat the gloopy slop anyway. What's the worse that could happen?!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, what did happen was a taste revolution. Although the consistency was more like soup than mousse the taste was amazing! I think now I shall never eat chocolate without cardamom again.

Please, please try it if you haven't already. You will not regret the experience.

Enjoy

Laura x x x

• Like 3

That does sound tasty. Thanks for the tip!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

sounds good, it IS good in hot cocoa- I make my cocoa with just water, cocoa, sugar and a pinch of salt, and sometimes I add cardamom, as if the cocoa is a coffee.

• Like 1

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I'd like to make this chocolate pudding recipe and add some cardamom to it.  Should green or black pods be used?  Is there an established norm for this and similar situations.  Also, should eliminate the vanilla if using the cardamom?

I accidentally bought a whole bottle of black cardamom pods. Bad mistake! They are black because they have been smoked. They smell like a bonfire. I'm sure someone might enjoy them, but not me:)

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

18 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

I accidentally bought a whole bottle of black cardamom pods. Bad mistake! They are black because they have been smoked. They smell like a bonfire. I'm sure someone might enjoy them, but not me:)

Black cardamoms have uses where they are perfect. Curries, Chinese hotpots and even with coffee. Don't dismiss them completely.

But with chocolate, no.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The book I'm reading, Dandelion & Quince, has an inviting recipe for black cardamom and daikon.  I'd use white pods in a chocolate pudding.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On the other hand click.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From memory because I only have green cardoon to hand the black variety is an entirely different item.  Wikipedia seems to confirm this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamom

Certainly the seeds of green cardamom go well with chocolate.  They can also be infused in dairy products to make ice-cream along the lines of kulfi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulfi

Personally I have only ever used black cardamom in savoury recipes.

So glad you enjoyed your experiment @ltimmis80, it can be so tempting to discard things that don't turn out as we hope and as you have shown something that doesn't perhaps set as desired can still give pleasure.   

I usually use black cardamom for savory dishes but I can imagine its smoky flavor working with chocolate.  In much the same way that chipotle peppers can work with chocolate.  I think would be interesting and a bit unexpected so it depends on what you are going for.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, Bentley said:

Is anyone familiar with the chocolatier Cacao and Cardamom in Houston?  Annie Rupani is a Texan with Pakistani roots.  She has a lot of interesting flavors, including one with cardamom.  

I met her in Melissa Coppel's class back in September!  Lovely woman, really passionate. 

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I'm not sure I've ever met a flavor that didn't go with cardamom. It's one of my not-very-secret weapons. Putting cardamom on it around here is like putting a bird on it in Portland.

Cheese.

14 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Huh. I make a dessert with pears, cherry, cognac, goat cheese, and cardamom. I think the flavors are great together.

They may be.  But you've got some big flavours jousting on that dessert...  I'd be interested to see how you put them together.

In any case, my problem with cardamom is that it tends to be way too powerful.  In the original recipe for this topic, the poster uses "a couple" of cardamom pods for a chocolate mousse, which seems an enormous quantity.  If I was doing it, I would take it down to just one or two of the seeds within the pods.  You'd still get the aroma, but without that mouth-wash astringency.