• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Novice baker needing advice for buttermilk pie recipe

Paula Ramsey

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I recently took a couple of cracks at a butter milk pie recipe I found on Facebook (my first pie, by the way). The first try, the butter soaked into the crust, which came out overcooked and chewy. The second time, I brushed the crust with egg and par-baked it, then covered the edge with foil, and it came out nice, but still very greasy. What butter would have soaked into the crust instead ran out of the pan (thankfully I put foil underneath). My question is: would simply cutting the butter ruin the chemistry of the filling? How would you suggest cutting the grease factor, or should I just ditch the recipe and start another?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=503232219755500&set=a.429072813838108.1073741828.426224840789572&type=1&relevant_count=1

BUTTERMILK PIE:
1/2c buttermilk
1 3/4c sugar
2 large eggs
3tbsp flour
pinch of salt
1 stick butter
1tsp vanilla
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400°. Mix everything together and pour into an unbaked 9" pieshell. Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg. Bake 15min. Reduce oven to 350° and bake 45min. Cool to allow filling to set.

Paula, where are you living? Do you get your butter in pound blocks, or packages with 4 individual sticks?

Needless to say, I believe the recipe was written for 1/4 pound sticks, but to an inexperienced baker, that might not be obvious. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"