• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Bianca - alla Roscioli and others...

weinoo

After a fantastic trip to Rome earlier this month (more to come, at some point), I needed to try (again) my hand at pizza bianca, Rome's favorite food to eat out of hand. Forno and Roscioli are but 2 examples, and they're both great.

Last night I started a no-knead, high-hydration dough; about 75% hydration, only water, flour, salt and yeast. Kenji's recipe here is a good one.

Prior to baking...

Pizza bianca before.jpg

After...

Pizza bianca after.jpg

The structure of the dough...

Pizza bianca structure.jpg

Sliced and stuffed with a bit of Prosciutto San Daniele...

Pizzaa bianca sandwich.jpg

Bill Klapp will be happy to know I used no fancy equipment!

• Like 10

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 years later...

So, after a trip to Rome in February, I am back working on pizza bianca, and this attempt wasn't bad.  It's about a 70% hydration dough, mixed in the food processor, and rested in the fridge for 48 hours.

26356831627_ac42ddfc8a_z.jpg

Baked in the CSO, for about 18 minutes.

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 4.4.2018 at 3:38 PM, weinoo said:

Baked in the CSO, for about 18 minutes.

Looks great.

At what temp are you baking, 18 minutes is pretty short, so I guess it's quite high?

~ Shai N.

16 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

It looks like a good focaccia. Nevermind, just read the Serious Eats article. It is not a focaccia.

right, they are a little different in formula, but you can them all (pizze, focaccia, bianca, et.al.) flatbreads!

I'm pretty sure pizza bianca is a Roman thing, whereas focaccia emanated from Liguria/Genoa. And in Tuscany, they call it schiacciata.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 years later...

We have a few pizza topics, so indulge me for posting this here...

While I doubt I'll ever approach the deliciousness of the pizza bianca/pizza rosa at Antico Forno Roscioli, Forno Campo de'Fiori, et al., I can't give up trying. So while leafing through a few books, I came across a fairly benign recipe in Parla's Tasting Rome, (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which as it happens, is very similar to Kenji's recipe on Serious Eats. Neither of these recipes is the same as the recipe in the Roscioli book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) (which calls for milk as a small (10%) percentage of the liquid, and also adds malt (which I have to assume is non-diastatic malt powder). Now Katie certainly has a relationship with the Roscioli family, and certainly has a relationship with the Campo peeps, so a guess is that her recipe somehow incorporates their thinking, riffs on their ingredients, and takes their techniques into consideration. Like I'll never be able to do this...

279542657_MessagesImage(3963047753).thumb.png.f6ab905b2242261ddc7f20786e8b27da.png

Look at all that pizza!

Yesterday's attempt, dough started in the morning. Using 500 g KA bread flour, 80% hydration, 2 grams of instant yeast, 11 grams of salt. Folded maybe 4 times over the course of the next few hours, and baked at 6:30, after preheating the oven/steel for a hour. Half was spread with tomato, the other just olive oil and salt.

IMG_3424.thumb.jpeg.212050740b3a8c21220863877218c807.jpeg

IMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.a03ec76081ce2e1422b0a1fa309490eb.jpeg

Not bad. Too, mmmmm, fluffy (?) for me. I let the dough proof on the baking sheet for an hour or so, and I think perhaps it shouldn't proof at all. But - it's a start.

Here's a quick look at Roscioli...

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Tasty Travails - My Blog

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Too, mmmmm, fluffy (?) for me. I let the dough proof on the baking sheet for an hour or so, and I think perhaps it shouldn't proof at all. But - it's a start.

I understand this as you let it proof on the peel?    I have never heard of letting formed pizza dough proof further.   Discuss this?    Is this a typical method someplace or is it your construct?    

eGullet member #80.

Proofed in the half sheet pan on parchment but before stretching - this is the Kenji way. Baked for 5 minutes on the half sheet pan on the stone, then removed from the sheet pan and baked directly on the stone.

You can see how bubbly their dough is in that Roscioli video.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I do like Antico Forno Roscioli al lot, but for Pizza Bianca I am definitely more of a Bonci guy ... though if “fluffy” isn’t for you I understand your liking for the Roscioli variety.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I do like Antico Forno Roscioli al lot, but for Pizza Bianca I am definitely more of a Bonci guy ... though if “fluffy” isn’t for you I understand your liking for the Roscioli variety.

I love Bonci as much as the next person (and there's always a next person)...

842684616_2013_11_18RomePizzariumoutside.thumb.JPG.f397dbcc96fdd7289ff878951e02271f.JPG

But I'm hard pressed to call it true pizza bianca...

1869506166_2011_11_19Pizzarium2.jpg.a972700ce5fbd506c748897b34af1ead.jpg

1074993990_2011_11_19Pizzarium3.jpg.14d880c50daee2f9afb6f353b5422d55.jpg

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pizza-bianca

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/no-knead-pizza-bianca.html

https://wgntv.com/midday-news/lunchbreak/lunchbreak-roman-style-street-food-pizza-pizza-bianca-di-forno-campo-de-fiori/

Bonci's Dough  The recipe: Pizza

1 kilo of flour (tipo 0 or tipo 1 – Burrato from Mulino Marino)
700 gr. water
40 gr extra virgin olive oil
20 gr sea salt
7 gr dried yeast

• Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Im hopeful that's and old pic 

just saying 

not for me

but for others 

who might not be able 

to control theirs lives 

as most of us here 

at eG might do :

EUcG_gvXkAIUndY.jpeg.87790b1597ae23fdfb2426a397574d8e.jpeg.3021442054de23a1f426bd3dd8e55dc3.jpeg

w respect to all of you

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im hopeful that's and old pic 

just saying 

Sadly, that's an old pic - haven't been to Roma since 2018. 

Haven't been outside of NYC since March, 2020.

What exactly is it you're worried about?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Of course

some say Ive been confused 

for quite some time

maybe

but as much as some find

NYC 

delicious 

and good for them

New haven has far mr intruding 

pizza

at A or B 

its controversial down there

slo be it

you might  figure it out fr your self

just saying

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But I'm hard pressed to call it true pizza bianca...

What Bonci is selling is pizza al taglio, with myriads of options. As one of them always have a pizza bianca, sometimes topped with rosemary and you can get it with fillings like Mortadella ... 

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Pizza bianca recipes lack oil in the dough.

I would contest this statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I would contest this statement.

The two places making the best pizza bianca in the world of Rome have no oil in their doughs. 

Bonci is basically making focaccia.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 1/30/2021 at 8:50 PM, weinoo said:

The two places making the best pizza bianca in the world of Rome have no oil in their doughs. 

Nope.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:50 PM, weinoo said:

Bonci is basically making focaccia.

YMMV. 

Edited by Duvel (log)

Here's what is said in Bonci's book about his pizza Romana al taglio...

"This is Roman-style pizza al taglio - rectangular with an airy, foccacialike dough that can support an ample topping."

His recipes kind of bear that out.  They have a fair amount of oil when building the dough, and are baked in a pan, whereas I associate classic Roman pizza bianca dough as being built with no oil, baked on the oven floor, and topped with good oil pre and post bake. And salt. 

In any event, I made 2 doughs on Friday; one which I baked that day (above), and a slightly different dough (under 70% hydration) with a tiny bit of oil and a tiny bit of sugar; it went into the fridge after its overnight ferment. Baked after a good 36 hours in the fridge, in a sheet pan because there's no way I'm dealing with a peel and this thing...

63382504055__E6C7BB10-3FFD-4162-8A8D-A9EFAA15200A.thumb.jpeg.f62a2724738d6912bceb88728ec5c94e.jpeg

IMG_3447.thumb.jpeg.be9ee0b825d43f05d5643f01711d7011.jpeg

Leftovers were had today for lunch, heated, sliced open and stuffed with a slice or two of Mangalista. Good stuff.

Gotta get me some Tipo 0 to play with that.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

A friend with knowledge of Roman pizza bianca in general, and specifically that of Roscioli's, suggested I seek this out:

IMG_3483.thumb.JPG.f5616711af1b5a497db1f8b7f4bf1a25.JPG

Another variable to experiment with.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Just a word to the wise for those here trying the Roscioli recipe, to save them some grief. Don't try to make the recipe with North American consumer flours -- I did and it didn't remotely work - soup.  I tried again with the Caputo 00 and the recipe ratio worked precisely as written in the book and the dough was perfectly hydrated and workable. I thought the finished results were good and worth the effort.

I think people make a mistake by lumping all Roman styles into a single Roman Style. As one would expect, there are many sub-styles. Those who prefer an airy style will enjoy the Roscioli recipe. I love Roscioli - though very much don't like Pizzarium/Bonci that is a similar style dough (though not remotely similar with the stuff he piles on top - but I prefer thinner "shorter" styles that I think are more typical outside of the tourist zones. These are often sheeted to get them so thin and crisp and made even crisper with a well oiled pan or even fat in the dough, which makes them ideal for simple sauceless toppings. Unfortunately, these are the most difficult  to make at home without the proper equipment (or skill) to make them so thin.

Edited by IEATRIO (log)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, IEATRIO said:

I tried again with the Caputo 00 and the recipe ratio worked precisely as written in the book and the dough was perfectly hydrated and workable. I thought the finished results were good and worth the effort.

Can't wait to try with that Caputo 0.

Did you use the malt powder as well?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

Can't wait to try with that Caputo 0.

Did you use the malt powder as well?

I did, but I have no doubts that subbing for same weights of malt extract syrup, honey, or maltose, would also work fine in a pinch.